Which exhaust do you prefer, need help picking one out (no drone)

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I agree with the advice from @Cornercarver

Many things to consider

• sound inside cabin more than out plays a huge factor
  • budget
  • do you intend to track or use as a daily driver or both
  • how will it sound on highway cruising speeds
  • drone, looks, etc.
There was an HKS demo video on YouTube and a fellow member here who posted a video that helped encourage my decision which helped a lot.
How is the drone with the Spec-L? I was looking at it before Legamax cause I liked the way it sounded when I compared the two. What made you choose instead of Legamax?
Sponsored

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
How is the drone with the Spec-L? I was looking at it before Legamax cause I liked the way it sounded when I compared the two. What made you choose instead of Legamax?
Legamax sounded too loud for me. I wanted something sounding more subtle and not get into the situation where I would be miserable regretting if I made the wrong choice.

The official HKS videos on YouTube and a video posted here by another member ultimately led me to that decision. I had no reason to look back. I love the sound!! I don't do lots of highway driving but when I do, I don't notice any drone sound. Could be because I have the music turned up in the car. Also the cost of the exhaust fit within my budget just at around 1K with a coupon from Kamispeed. You need to hunt around for the best deals, especially if you are going to invest in something that much.

Last edited:

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I have the spec-L as well and it's the perfect sound level. No more drone than stock at highway speed and sounds nice when you get on it without being obnoxious. I had the 27won before and while I liked the sound better (deeper and more aggressive, straight up like an F1 car at full throttle through a tunnel), the drone was absolutely obnoxious. I'd go deaf driving it at highway speeds for more than a few minutes.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the spec-L as well and it's the perfect sound level. No more drone than stock at highway speed and sounds nice when you get on it without being obnoxious. I had the 27won before and while I liked the sound better (deeper and more aggressive, straight up like an F1 car at full throttle through a tunnel), the drone was absolutely obnoxious. I'd go deaf driving it at highway speeds for more than a few minutes.
Don't you love the crackle sound it makes when revving it while warming it up and or after arriving from the grocery store? It has a unique sound. ?

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Such a delayed response sorry! But I just wanted to let you know thank you so much for the input! I all but wrote off HKS cause of the tip design, but you gave me more to think about! Still thinking about Borla, so I may reach out just to hear your Borla youtube video.

I definitely wish there were more Type R meets near me, NJ has some but its never NJ but NYC or PA. Half the time I'm working 8-6pm and I'm tired. I just joined some instagram pages dedicated to NJ Type R meets so if there's one close I'm def gonna check one out.

Don't think I'm buying one till Spring, so I have time to commit or even save more if I want a more expensive exhaust. You don't know how helpful this response was for me haha.
Yeah the last thing you want to do like so many of us is to pay money for something and not be satisfied and have to take a hit on reselling it. Like many of us have said. Exhausts are so "personal" to us and not one sound fits all. It's tough too when it's something you gotta live with every time you drive your car.

Last edited:

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah the last thing you want to do like so many of us is to pay money for something and not be satisfied and have to take a hit on reselling it. Like many of us have said. Exhausts are so "personal" to us and not one sound fits all. It's tough too when it's something you gotta live with every time you drive a car.
There's some good advice here!! Very well said!!

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fix for it was to push the heat shields closer to the body of the car, nothing destructive at all. I don’t notice any drone in the car now (touring set up), though people are sensitive to different frequencies.

I currently do not have a downpipe, so I can’t comment on that. Most exhausts for the FK8 begin to drone after putting a downpipe in. A catless downpipe does make it worse, but both do end up inducing drone from what I’ve read.

I know when I first installed the exhaust, a lot of people on FB (and here) wanted sound clips, so I’ll include them here too.

During my search, I was also looking at the 27Won and HKS exhausts. I would have gone 27Won if I wasn’t able to find the Borla at the price I got it for (SS tips for 1200, black tips for 1400, and CF tips for 1600). Though I doubt you could find it for that price now; I purchased it at RCA Garage in Illinois.

If the active exhausts were cheaper, I’d probably be running one (I ended up getting the Borla for about 1400-1500 when I got it, black tips). The Remus is very popular here as well and quite nice. If you wanted to, you could also do Sequence manufacturing which is also a somewhat active exhaust system that automatically turns itself on when under heavy load then back to quiet when not on load.
The Borla sounds really good, really throaty. One of the better sounding exhausts to be sure and looks right.
Still running a stock exhaust on my '18 - because I can't pick a winner, lol. Even after listening to a number of You Tube exhaust videos for the Type R.
There are at least a few that sound really good. The only advantage of the stock exhaust is that it doesn't annoy anyone. But where's the fun in that?
There are some exhausts that are not worth buying, they make the car sound worse. Louder, but worse. You know who you are. No brand shaming here.
I probably will go with one of the three pipe versus two pipe options.. But sound comes first.
I live in an area where it would be good if the exhaust was active and could have a more stealth mode. when needed. As is I get enough looks. Not seeking more attention.
Coolest have to be some of the titanium models, but it is hard to get something that looks the best and also sounds the best to me, even if you are not factoring cost.
In a perfect world, you would have one exhaust that had a huge range of sound profiles - not just muted or loud, but different character. More growly, or more F1 whine, or more pops, or more raspy, or more smooth. Etc. That would be worth the money. I'm no engineer, just dreaming.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the Megan exhaust about a week ago and it’s been perfect for me.. deeper oem sound. Not too loud or abnoxious.
Just don't couple it with a catless downpipe and drive long distances on the highway lol. I had to kilmat my trunk and add a muffler/resonator and it's still a bit much at times but good enough for me.

If I had to do it again I would just save and spend the money on a nice valved exhaust. Go for the one with the sound you like - as in like deep and angry - when the valve is open. Depending on the setup, you can often have it so the valve is either totally open, partially open, or totally closed. I think I've seen ones where it's variable as well for more fine tuning of the partially open position.

As long as you like the sound profile, you can control the volume whenever you like with one of these. I'd love to be able to press a button and quiet down the exhaust once I'm cruising on the highway... I drive 78 miles to work almost all highway.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The only exhaust I can warranty it will not have drone even if you add a catless downpipe is the Milltek Resonated version. I have been 45,000 miles with it. No regrets, plus they have lifetime warranty.

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Been running thermal for 2 years and zero drone, not fart can sounding no issues.
IMO the best exhaust for daily use

Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
The only exhaust I can warranty it will not have drone even if you add a catless downpipe is the Milltek Resonated version. I have been 45,000 miles with it. No regrets, plus they have lifetime warranty.
Is it raspy at all?