Which exhaust do you prefer, need help picking one out (no drone)

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I have the Borla s-type cat back exhaust and I love it. It’s not too loud and drony and it sounds really nice. I paired mine with a catless downpipe so it’s extremely loud now.
Sponsored

Fredo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR Sport Line
Country flag
I have the HKS Legamax with a modified downpipe. There is way too much drone, especially if you drive on highways.
So I will try to add the AWE Dualphase Midpipe Conversion (Helmholtz technolgoy) to eliminate the drone frequency.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I love my HKS Spec-L with carbon fiber tips. I have Borla Type S on my 2014 Honda Accord V6 Sedan. When I hit the pedal on the Accord and the VTEC hits, mated with my K&N Intake, it sounds like an ? lion!!

The HKS use subtle but has a pleasant sound. I'm loving it!
Honda Civic 10th gen Which exhaust do you prefer, need help picking one out (no drone) 7F357421-2D84-402D-8D4C-F93D815D16AD

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealing with this same issue. I still have stock and have been listening to the You tube exhaust compilations - definitely start there!
There is really no one 'best' exhaust, just some good ones and really, really good ones.
Your list is a bit short though, hopefully you check out more options before plunking down $ 700 - 2,000 on this worthy project. Several You Tube compilations cover a number of exhausts with start up and drive by clips. Not the same as in person, but you can hear enough to tell the differences, and they are major.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Dealing with this same issue. I still have stock and have been listening to the You tube exhaust compilations - definitely start there!
There is really no one 'best' exhaust, just some good ones and really, really good ones.
Your list is a bit short though, hopefully you check out more options before plunking down $ 700 - 2,000 on this worthy project. Several You Tube compilations cover a number of exhausts with start up and drive by clips. Not the same as in person, but you can hear enough to tell the differences, and they are major.
I agree with the advice from @Cornercarver

Many things to consider

• sound inside cabin more than out plays a huge factor
  • budget
  • do you intend to track or use as a daily driver or both
  • how will it sound on highway cruising speeds
  • drone, looks, etc.
There was an HKS demo video on YouTube and a fellow member here who posted a video that helped encourage my decision which helped a lot.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag

R4T3DCTR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to reach out to as many as I can to help narrow some options and give me some advice/their experience on these exhausts and why not ask others with the same car as me!

I've had my 2019 Type R - Championship White for about a year now and it's time to finally get an exhaust, since the stock is so quiet. I've done some research, watched videos, and read reviews on the exhausts I'm currently looking into. As of right now I'm looking into the AWE Touring, HKS Legamax, Borla, and Sequence. I was originally looking into the Armytrix, but it's pretty expensive (but so is Sequence) and I definitely did like the color options and remote. HKS unfortunately has dual tips, and I really like the tri tips. Borla has me sold, but I heard there's drone which I don't really want.

Anyway what I'm asking is, anyone who has either of these exhausts how do you like it? Out of all of these which do you prefer/recommend? Experience? Issues? Any drone? Any other exhausts you highly suggest (if so please share)?

I do plan on tuning the car someday soon and it is daily driven. I'm also very new to the car community and learning so much, any help is always appreciated :) I'm honestly so indecisive, I can't choose!

Thank you!!
I’ve had a borla on my type r for a little over 2 years. I’ve never put in the sound deadening plates and have always left it wide open.
Tho the R is not my daily driver I have done some commuting or long drives with it. The sound is aggressive and harsh when on throttle with a quiet idle. cold starts are loud until the RPM drops and then it’s no louder than any other catted exhaust system. Drone does come on at 2800-3300 RPM with light throttle input, even worse with the rear seats down. All in all it’s one of my favourite sounding for this platform and makes my type r not sound “Honda” if you know what I mean, even tho there’s nothing wrong with classic Honda tuner exhausts.
Just my input! Whatever you get enjoy! And watch out for exhaust tickets in whatever state/province you live in :)

Mark G.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Honda SI.
Country flag
Hi Fellow SI & type R friends,
If you change the stick exhaust,will that mess with your extended warranty,I have a 17 SI & have 65K miles left on my warranty,my car has 50K miles on it,I would love the change my exhaust but not at the cost of voiding my warranty. It I can make the change,any recommendations? Thanks ?

R4T3DCTR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you change the stick exhaust,will that mess with your extended warranty,I have a 17 SI & have 65K miles left on my warranty,my car has 50K miles on it,I would love the change my exhaust but not at the cost of voiding my warranty. It I can make the change,any recommendations? Thanks ?
The quick answer is no it will not void warranty, but that all depends on what type of warranty you are talking about. Most dealerships are pretty reasonable when talking about vehicles, warranty, and modifications. It’s really down to the dealership but the general rule of thumb is if the modification could have caused the issue in any foreseeable way, then it could void warranty. An example would be throwing on an aftermarket exhaust and then a few days later your windows don’t roll up, covered under the 3/60k comprehensive Honda warranty, and is evident that an exhaust mod did not cause the Window motor to fail.
it can get sticky when you start to mod in the engine bay, especially when submitting claims for engine and power train related issues.
At the end of the day if the dealer can prove the mod caused it, then warranty voided, and in some cases dealerships may also opt to refuse warranty work on modified vehicles, as they are not to standard manufacture intended specifications.

running an exhaust on your car will be more fun than potentially detrimental, and being a Honda, a cat back system does not usually affect the car in any negative matter, just your neighbours in the morning. If you are that worried call your local dealer where you get serviced and ask.
Hope this helps!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Legally they have to prove that the modification done would cause the failure you’re trying to warranty. So if you change your exhaust and your motor starts leaking oil, it’s unlikely your cat back exhaust did that (I’d be interested in the mental gymnastics they’d need to do to claim that). On the other hand if you change your cat back, it snaps off and deforms your downpipe in the process, that wouldn’t be covered under warranty. Ditto if you got an aftermarket downpipe and started getting NOX-related CELS.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I still have my Borla in my garage that I took off after about 700 miles. I ran it with the center pipe blocked off since it comes with the plates for sound. At the time I was running stock downpipe and front pipe. With that plate blocked off it had very minimal to no drone and sounded very mean overall. Take that plate off and the car was a beast. I just think my ears are very sensitive to vibrations and loud noises these days so I had to run that plate in the center and then decided to look at other options. When I would show up to car gatherings mine was mild compared to the louder AWE, J's and Nvidia exhausts there which to me all definitely had drone. I also did drive alongs with all of them just to see the varying levels of sound. I decided to then take off my Borla and run stock for awhile and I then enjoyed the calmness of the stock exhaust. I do have a couple videos of the borla on my youtube channel that actually aren't listed and if you PM me I can share with you.
Later I sat in a couple friends cars @boosted180sx and @fatherpain and fell in love with their Sequence Exhausts. At the time fatherpain still had the stock dp/fp and boosted still remains with that combo. So I saved up to get the sequence and once installed I waited only about a week before I put in a prl fp and also a catted dp. Still no drone whatsoever and I just love this exhaust. Having the valved exhaust to me is the way to go. It's soooooo calm when cruising and just has this very unique beastly sound when flooring the pedal and under boost. Having this exhaust makes me want to drive the car all the time. And I have to say that it makes the car a blast to drive as I feel like I'm in a rocketship when that valve opens.

So from my experience with those two exhausts is I did like the Borla but it was a little too much for me at certain rpms. For example 3k rpm in 6th on the freeway. The sound to me would just bug my ears over prolonged drives. But other than that the exhaust did have a calm but mean presence depending on which center plate you ran on it. Plus it seemed well constructed.
The Sequence exhaust is on a whole other level of sound and performance. Plus it's just a pure work of art. So if you have the funds or are willing to save up I say get the Sequence. It's too bad you don't have other R's in your area though because exhausts are really a personal preference and really should be heard before buying I think.

Two pics above are of the Borla and two below are of the Sequence.

20200618_123053.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-021755_Gallery.jpg

20201218_150334.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-022207_Gallery.jpg
Such a delayed response sorry! But I just wanted to let you know thank you so much for the input! I all but wrote off HKS cause of the tip design, but you gave me more to think about! Still thinking about Borla, so I may reach out just to hear your Borla youtube video.

I definitely wish there were more Type R meets near me, NJ has some but its never NJ but NYC or PA. Half the time I'm working 8-6pm and I'm tired. I just joined some instagram pages dedicated to NJ Type R meets so if there's one close I'm def gonna check one out.

Don't think I'm buying one till Spring, so I have time to commit or even save more if I want a more expensive exhaust. You don't know how helpful this response was for me haha.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I have the Borla s-type cat back exhaust and I love it. It’s not too loud and drony and it sounds really nice. I paired mine with a catless downpipe so it’s extremely loud now.
Do you by chance have any videos? Would love to hear it.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve had a borla on my type r for a little over 2 years. I’ve never put in the sound deadening plates and have always left it wide open.
Tho the R is not my daily driver I have done some commuting or long drives with it. The sound is aggressive and harsh when on throttle with a quiet idle. cold starts are loud until the RPM drops and then it’s no louder than any other catted exhaust system. Drone does come on at 2800-3300 RPM with light throttle input, even worse with the rear seats down. All in all it’s one of my favourite sounding for this platform and makes my type r not sound “Honda” if you know what I mean, even tho there’s nothing wrong with classic Honda tuner exhausts.
Just my input! Whatever you get enjoy! And watch out for exhaust tickets in whatever state/province you live in :)
Yes! I understand what you mean, my brother described HKS and AWE more Japanese sounding (if that makes sense) and Borla (American since they are for most muscle cars and unique). Would you have gone with another exhaust or was this your first choice?

I live in NJ, so not too sure about exhaust tickets haha but I see some crazy cars driving here with loud exhausts and cops just pass by them.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been watching videos! I want to attend a meet so I can just harass everyone and ask what exhaust they have haha (jk). What exhausts are you looking into?

I had a good list way before this one, but it was too long I managed to cut it down and played price into it and how BAD I wanted it in the mix.
Sponsored