Which exhaust do you prefer, need help picking one out (no drone)

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to reach out to as many as I can to help narrow some options and give me some advice/their experience on these exhausts and why not ask others with the same car as me!

I've had my 2019 Type R - Championship White for about a year now and it's time to finally get an exhaust, since the stock is so quiet. I've done some research, watched videos, and read reviews on the exhausts I'm currently looking into. As of right now I'm looking into the AWE Touring, HKS Legamax, Borla, and Sequence. I was originally looking into the Armytrix, but it's pretty expensive (but so is Sequence) and I definitely did like the color options and remote. HKS unfortunately has dual tips, and I really like the tri tips. Borla has me sold, but I heard there's drone which I don't really want.

Anyway what I'm asking is, anyone who has either of these exhausts how do you like it? Out of all of these which do you prefer/recommend? Experience? Issues? Any drone? Any other exhausts you highly suggest (if so please share)?

I do plan on tuning the car someday soon and it is daily driven. I'm also very new to the car community and learning so much, any help is always appreciated :) I'm honestly so indecisive, I can't choose!

Thank you!!
Sponsored

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to reach out to as many as I can to help narrow some options and give me some advice/their experience on these exhausts and why not ask others with the same car as me!

I've had my 2019 Type R - Championship White for about a year now and it's time to finally get an exhaust, since the stock is so quiet. I've done some research, watched videos, and read reviews on the exhausts I'm currently looking into. As of right now I'm looking into the AWE Touring, HKS Legamax, Borla, and Sequence. I was originally looking into the Armytrix, but it's pretty expensive (but so is Sequence) and I definitely did like the color options and remote. HKS unfortunately has dual tips, and I really like the tri tips. Borla has me sold, but I heard there's drone which I don't really want.

Anyway what I'm asking is, anyone who has either of these exhausts how do you like it? Out of all of these which do you prefer/recommend? Experience? Issues? Any drone? Any other exhausts you highly suggest (if so please share)?

I do plan on tuning the car someday soon and it is daily driven. I'm also very new to the car community and learning so much, any help is always appreciated :) I'm honestly so indecisive, I can't choose!

Thank you!!
First of all, congratulations. Modding can be a one and done or a rabbit hole that’ll never end. For me I have a Tomei so I’m already out of the race. It’s dual tip and it has drone lol. But now you’re narrowing your choices ! I just started my car and I have a catted PRL downpipe so the noise can be too much for some people. I would say borla to be honest.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
If you are really against drone your only option is a valved option. The AWE touring is supposed to have minimal drone but I don't believe any 3" non-valved exhaust has no drone.

I love my skunk2 exhaust but it does have drone, kind of a booming sound. I personally do not mind the drone and I love the sound.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
First of all, congratulations. Modding can be a one and done or a rabbit hole that’ll never end. For me I have a Tomei so I’m already out of the race. It’s dual tip and it has drone lol. But now you’re narrowing your choices ! I just started my car and I have a catted PRL downpipe so the noise can be too much for some people. I would say borla to be honest.
Thank you! And it's definitely a rabbit hole for me at the moment, only did very little to my car so far lol. How is the Tomei in your opinion? How bad is the drone? Like I said Borla does have some drone from what I read so I'm willing to go through it.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are really against drone your only option is a valved option. The AWE touring is supposed to have minimal drone but I don't believe any 3" non-valved exhaust has no drone.

I love my skunk2 exhaust but it does have drone, kind of a booming sound. I personally do not mind the drone and I love the sound.
Not super against it, I guess I could say I'm willing to tolerate it if there was an exhaust the really caught my eye. Lots of people have been saying go with the AWE or 27won. Never heard of the skunk2 exhaust! Curious how it sounds, so definitely going to check how it is. Appreciate the feedback!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I've had my 2019 Type R - Championship White for about a year now and it's time to finally get an exhaust, since the stock is so quiet. I've done some research, watched videos, and read reviews on the exhausts I'm currently looking into. As of right now I'm looking into the AWE Touring, HKS Legamax, Borla, and Sequence.
im surprised that you put sequence up there as thats not really in the same class as the other exhausts both in material and quality imo. price wise too.

sequence will sound like stock (literally) when normally driven and only becomes audible under boost and some people may not like that. Some like to have that audible exhaust note even when accelerating casually and the sequence wont give you that.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
im surprised that you put sequence up there as thats not really in the same class as the other exhausts both in material and quality imo. price wise too.

sequence will sound like stock (literally) when normally driven and only becomes audible under boost and some people may not like that. Some like to have that audible exhaust note even when accelerating casually and the sequence wont give you that.
Someone had suggested it to me said it had no drone, sounded okay from the videos. Videos don't always do justice since some don't always do flybys or just do coldstarts, always appreciate experience and feedback! Out of all I listed (excluding sequence) is there one particularly better in your opinion? I know it's all preference and I don't mind little drone since I know Borla has some. Like I said I'm honestly torn :/ and just want some sound to this car haha

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Someone had suggested it to me said it had no drone, sounded okay from the videos. Videos don't always do justice since some don't always do flybys or just do coldstarts, always appreciate experience and feedback! Out of all I listed (excluding sequence) is there one particularly better in your opinion? I know it's all preference and I don't mind little drone since I know Borla has some. Like I said I'm honestly torn :/ and just want some sound to this car haha
i have the sequence so my vote of course will be for that if it was within your initial choices lol. It definitely has no drone (actually less drone than stock lol) but it does literally sound stock when not in boost which some ppl may not like. The middle valve only opens up under boost so if your not hitting boost, you wont really hear it.

my buddy @Volksparts swapped his from a borla to a sequence exhaust so he may be able to give you a better opinion of the borla.

if i had to choose out of the awe, hks, or the borla, my choice would the HKS. I personally think it sounds the best, is the most quietest, and has the best build quality imo. The dual tip does somewhat bug me like you mentioned though ...
just keep in mind with a non valved exhaust, if you ever get a downpipe its gonna get MUCH louder lol.

the thing about exhaust thread is that your going to get so many different answers cause exhaust is very subjective lol.

_silvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
They will all have drone man, its just the nature of a high flowing exhaust. You're better off just picking what you think sounds best because there will always be drawbacks no matter what you choose.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Drone is a function or side effect of muffler design. a tuned system will not have drone or very little of it and the price reflects it.

HKS legamax and spec l have my vote having now heard in person.

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #38346
Country flag
I would go 27Won if you plan to do more mods later on. They have a full 'true' 3" CBE and use V-Bands for their connections. You pay for this though.. $1700 new. But, looks amazing and sounds good, especially with a DP.

I went with Martelius (out of Finland). Sounds amazing (to me), has evenly sized tri-tips (non-santa maria style), and supposedly has minimal drone (confirmed with a couple of UK fellas who run this CBE). 5 week build times though (materials shortage, not shipping issues). Mine should be here in a couple of weeks. Will have review and vids

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hi guys,

Thank you!!
I'm running Borla right now. The drone was minimal when installed, though I was getting some random rattles and drone (really no worse than stock, but at a lower RPM). Turns out that the heat shields were interfering with the exhaust while running (but not when the car was turn off). Pushing the heat shields away from the exhaust removed all the drone and rattles I has having before. Note that you need to run the car in the "touring" configuration or the exhaust does drone.

HKS is known to be a quiet exhaust with the FK8 so it has no drone to it either. Very popular exhaust here with a good tone as well. Sequence on the other hand is actually a valved exhaust which means it's quiet when the boost isn't flowing but is loud when you put the hammer down. You end up getting the best of both worlds that automatically turns itself on and off due to the mechanical nature of the valve. From your list, it's also the only titanium exhaust on the list.

Note that the Sequence and HKS (spec-L) both are quite a bit lighter than stock. The Borla is actually heavier than stock. Also note that if you plan on getting a downpipe, you'll likely experience drone.

If you're looking for minimal drone I'd probably go either Sequence, HKS (Legamx or Spec-L), Borla if we're going strictly off that list.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
No drone from my Remus with a HFC downpipe, regardless of the valve position.

OP
OP
kaiba_fk8

kaiba_fk8

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
i have the sequence so my vote of course will be for that if it was within your initial choices lol. It definitely has no drone (actually less drone than stock lol) but it does literally sound stock when not in boost which some ppl may not like. The middle valve only opens up under boost so if your not hitting boost, you wont really hear it.

my buddy @Volksparts swapped his from a borla to a sequence exhaust so he may be able to give you a better opinion of the borla.

if i had to choose out of the awe, hks, or the borla, my choice would the HKS. I personally think it sounds the best, is the most quietest, and has the best build quality imo. The dual tip does somewhat bug me like you mentioned though ...
just keep in mind with a non valved exhaust, if you ever get a downpipe its gonna get MUCH louder lol.

the thing about exhaust thread is that your going to get so many different answers cause exhaust is very subjective lol.
Right now I think I'm leaning towards the AWE or Borla. HKS does sound nice, but just dual tips but if I really want it then I'm willing to deal with.

Haven't met anyone who had Sequence yet, just saw videos so thanks for sharing your experience with it, it definitely did help. Where did you purchase yours? I've only been seeing it on the actual site not Vivid, Evasive, Map or any others.
Sponsored