Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda actually had a spec for oil (HTO-06), which did have a test(s) specifically for turbos. IIRC, dexos has similar tests.
IMHO, I don't think that blog is scientific at all. It reads like a long rant. Part of the scientific method is sharing your methods of testing, data, analysis and conclusions. Furthermore, he does not share that because its "proprietary". The reason one shares this information using the scientific method is for peer validation of experiment/test and conclusions.
I took a look the guy's blog and man, he is a self-promoting, insecure blow hard. He's so concerned with swatting down any critics that he's just nuts. That's not the way to communicate.
Sponsored

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The thing I think about most with oil for my CTR is that the Turbo is oil-cooled and I do not pay enough attention to cool it down before parking in my garage, so I worry most about high-temperature breakdown, since every time I park I cook some of the oil left in the turbo.

One of the best sources of information on oil performance is the 540RAT blog. The guy does real testing of real oil. He recommends Amsoil Signature Series as the best oil straight from the bottle with no additives, but it is expensive, like $12/quart. He also found that Quaker State Ultimate Durability (available at Walmart for about $6.00 per quart bottle/$20.00 per 5 quart jug) is better than any oil other than the Amsoil Signature Series.

I would use the Quaker State if I were changing the oil myself, but I don't change the oil myself because of the hazardous waste disposal issue. Instead I go to a shop specializing in high-performance cars and have them do the oil change with the top full-synthetic they have on hand, which around here seems to usually be Castrol Edge.
I donā€™t feel so foolish now with a couple minutes cool down and blower aimed at hood. I leave it aimed at hood hour or two then upward with GD open partially. NWFL still upper 80s but not 90s anymore.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you want to impress yourself and your friends with a boutique oil, get some Motul 300V. All the posers in the bike forums swear by it because it costs around 20 bucks a quart. I distrust anything about Amsoil because if you Google synthetic oil you are bombarded by Amsoil hits. They pay for that to happen. I'm sure it's an acceptable oil. I also believe that the cheapest synthetic you can find will for all intents and purposes, perform just as well. My concern is low volitility per dollar, so I'll stick with Pennzoil Platinum.
IIRC, Motul made the first synthetic oil so they might know something about it. Hopefully, they have kept to their roots.

Iā€™m going leave it to the science and people that actually work with it.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm at around 315k miles on my S2000 and have used Mobil 1 EP since the beginning. I hit 9 grand on the tach every day. Granted the S2000 engine uses port injection, still I would trust this oil for the CTR.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
The thing I think about most with oil for my CTR is that the Turbo is oil-cooled and I do not pay enough attention to cool it down before parking in my garage, so I worry most about high-temperature breakdown, since every time I park I cook some of the oil left in the turbo.
I thought this turbo is water cooled, because I see coolant water pipes connected to the turbo on front side.

Deleted member 54128

Honda's oil is made by Mobil One.
sorry, thatā€™s not right. The Honda oem Engine oil type 2.0 was produced bei Idemitsu lubricants. Mobil 1 do not produced engine oil with moly 600ppm.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Been using Eneos on both my Evo 8 and Type R. With Purolator Boss synthetic oil filter.
Honda Civic 10th gen which engine oil do you guys using? 20211119_122034

Deleted member 54128

0W20 in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8? Really ? How many kilometres do you have on this cars?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
sorry, thatā€™s not right. The Honda oem Engine oil type 2.0 was produced bei Idemitsu lubricants. Mobil 1 do not produced engine oil with moly 600ppm.
Canā€™t reply your DM for some reason so I will respond here.

Based on your use case, Iā€™d stick with the 0w-20 and validate wear by doing a used oil analysis. I doubt you will see much benefit by moving to a 5w-30.

Deleted member 54128

Canā€™t reply your DM for some reason so I will respond here.

Based on your use case, Iā€™d stick with the 0w-20 and validate wear by doing a used oil analysis. I doubt you will see much benefit by moving to a 5w-30.
Thanks for your post.
Motul 300v has a new anti lspi series . Which 0w20 would you prefer?

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
0W20 in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8? Really ? How many kilometres do you have on this cars?
Should've clarified. Eneos Brand but 5w-30W on the Evo with 135032

ImMikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Any place on the interwebz that ships H1540-RTA-515 to the US and cheaper than the eBay price?

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Driven racing oil dI20. Fram ultra oil filter.
Will change after 6k miles and get a sample to blackstone labs at next change.
Sponsored