19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Amsoil ss 0wX20 here. Been using them in my cars for years. Also changed the transmission fluid to amsoil

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
I saw a 1 mpg bump after switching to Zepro Eco Medalist 0W20. When my last oil change rolled around I saw the price had shot up on Amazon, so I went with Mobil 1. We'll see if that does anything.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Correct - Amsoil 0w-20 are API SN Plus.
LBdZ35J.png

My friend bought a quart of Castrol Edge (5qt jug, and 1 qt bottle) to do an oil change, and we noticed that the 1 qt bottle was perhaps an older bottle on the shelves because it was not API SN Plus. The two look identical, but they are different.

lA9GEwD.jpg

vwLIfx2.jpg

The purpose here is to simply show that some older bottles of Edge may not be SN Plus. This lack of certification is not going to destroy your engine, however, you want to always use what the engine requires, or can handle depending on your driving habits or environment. Castrol Edge now has API SN Plus versions on shelves, but as you can see, some older bottles are still in the inventory.

Because I have an oil catch can, I keep a spare bottle of Honda’s 0w-20 oil to top-off the oil levels throughout oil drain intervals. I don’t know which company manufactures it though.
rvxKHzQ.jpg
Honda's oil is made by Mobil One.

jokacz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mini Cooper S, 19 SI Coupe
Country flag
Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 0W20, because of its low volatility. Only Redline has a lower volatility rating, but I'm too cheap to spend the extra money.

The reason volatility is important is to prevent intake valve deposits in direct injected engines. Crankcase vapors that get recirculated are the prime contributors to gunk on the valves. The new API SM rating is all about volatility. The standard is less than 15% volatility which both Redline and Pennzoil are well under. You'd be surprised which big name and boutique brands can't make the cut, or just barely make the 15% limit.
Honda Civic 10th gen which engine oil do you guys using? full-37311-20928-oil_volitility_noack_rating_2

Last edited:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Yeah I don’t really care about the brand of oil, as long as it’s synthetic and on sale! Speaking of sales at Costco they’re selling Kirkland 10 quart 0w-20 synthetic oil for only 20$ in store right now, it’s a steal!

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
My car is about 17k miles, and will need 4th oil change soon. I have dealer handle first three service. Want to try something new.
Please let me know what do you using, any good or bad?
SAE oils all meet the minimum standard within a given grade and certfication, but my grandfather (my dad's family is English-Welsh) used Castrol (a British oil); my dad used Castrol; I've always used Castrol. In those three generations, together, we've had a lot of cars and not one of them ever suffered an oil-related issue.

Like most, I stick to what I know. For my Si, in particular, Castrol 0W-20 Titanium Extended Performance. It meets all the same standards and change intervals as Honda Genuine 0W-20.

Honda Civic 10th gen which engine oil do you guys using? Castrol.Edge.Front
Honda Civic 10th gen which engine oil do you guys using? Castrol.Edge.Back

Last edited:

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 0W20
The NOACK test result posted above are from 2013. That's 7 years ago, which might not reflect current formulations.

I started using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 4 years ago because they make it from, um, natural gas, which intrigued me. Sure, I know from basic physics a gas under enough pressure will turn liquid, but this stuff is liquid at atmophseric pressure, even though it came from a gas? Nice.

And maybe if it comes from Marcellus Shale fracking better still (I have no idea if this is true - but being in the US, I support getting off Middle East oil). I've sent Pennzoil full synth used oil to Blackstone a couple times now and no issues in the results.

Last edited:

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SAE oils all meet the minimum standard within a given grade, but my grandfather (my dad's family is English-Welsh) used Castrol (a British oil); my dad used Castrol; I've always used Castrol. In those three generations, together, we've had a lot of cars and not one of them ever suffered an oil-related issue.

Like most, I stick to what I know. For my Si, in particular, Castrol 0W-20 Titanium Extended Life.
Hi!
Different heritage but same choice in oil.
Pre-dating all these iron buggies my Quaker family used the earlier product on their horse drawn wagons, even on the stallions, Before our time there was CASTRATE GTX, OW-4D Trotting Oil.

jokacz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mini Cooper S, 19 SI Coupe
Country flag
The NOACK test result posted above are from 2013. That's 7 years ago, which might not reflect current formulations.
True, but it is damn difficult to find NOACK figures online. Amsoil now claims 4.5% volatility, I don't know if that was an independent test. 15% is a pretty conservative figure, I believe Daimler-Benz and BMW require 10% for an oil to be approved by them. BMW has a long, sad history of intake valve deposits, so probably best for them to want the lowest figure possible.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you don't track, use the cheapest and change oil regularly. Save the money for food or mods.

Kirkland/Supertech/Amazon Basics