RAYS_G07FXX

First Name
frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic type R, 15 odyssey, 08 e92 M3
Country flag
My car is about 17k miles, and will need 4th oil change soon. I have dealer handle first three service. Want to try something new.
Please let me know what do you using, any good or bad?
Sponsored

Jonno426

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30.

It was on super sale for a 5qt on amazon and the extra quart was on sale at Napa, but was super old so I just shook it a lot to make sure the additives were well incorporated. I also used the napa gold oil filter but will probably go OEM for the next change on the filter to get a new crush washer.

I went with heavier oil for better film strength and dont care about any MPG hit.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I would recommend a quality 0W-20 or 5W-30 if your CTR sees significant track time. Take your pick, there's Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State (one of my personal favorites), etc. Wal-Mart sells gallons of these brands for good prices (be sure to pick up an extra quart to hit the full 5.7 qt capacity). Pair with a good oil filter (I like Fram Ultras, but don't buy any of their cheaper filters, Ultra only).

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My first oil change was at 7K miles with Motul Ecolite 0W-20. I had the factory oil analyzed and it was still in good shape at 7k miles. OEM filter and I follow the Maintenance Minder.

I am not tuned, I don't track, and my car is a stock daily driver. I will get another analysis on the Motul with my next oil change.

Take everything in oil threads with a grain of salt. Everyone says this and that but rarely provide any lab results.

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Daily drive mine and am coming up on my 3rd oil change soon at 26k miles. I put Mobil 1 0w-20 in there on my 2nd change. as far as i can tell its been fine. 4th change in 17k miles? Do you take very short trips and the MM is telling you to change or is it a preference thing?

Personally I will use whatever big brand synthetic is on sale in the parts store.

Thatguyraw

I don’t own a civic
First Name
Raw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Redline professional series 0W20

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Amsoil 0w-20 SS, but now switched to 5w-30 (still Amsoil SS). With members it’s $10/qt. I would highly recommend their oil filter though if anything, as it filters up to 99% of contaminates at 20 microns, most competitors do it at 30. So this filters even smaller contaminates. It is pricy compared to competitors, but if you really want to take care of your car you get what you pay for.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-ea-oil-filters-eaoilfilt/

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I use @Purol_Usa full synthetic 0w-20 with just intake & engine management. If i was full bolt ons with flex fuel id switch it up to 5w-30

fk8dc5s

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2003 DC5S 1994 CD5
Country flag
Eneos 0W-20 with OEM A01 filter. wanted to try something different as I always run Mobil1 for my DC5 and Mobil Super on the old commuter CD5 Accord.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Amsoil signature series 0w-20 with their oil filter. At 21.5k miles I've done 3 oil changes. The very first one I used Castrol edge, the last 2 have been amsoil.
Figured as hard as I push the car constantly might as well spend extra for oil. The amsoil SS and filter is pretty pricey, especially since I don't believe they have any 5 quart bottles. Using 6 single quarts is a little annoying.

Last oil change I flushed my transmission fluid and filled it up with Amsoil's synchromesh fluid. Shifts are like butter. I haven't had any gear grinds since. Though I haven't had a 2nd gear grind in a long while, I would get 4th gear grind instead. But so far so good, knock on wood

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Mobile one used it for many years

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
With much research ... I'm gonna be using Pennzoil ultra platinum. Seems to always get amazing reviews at a very reasonable cost.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
My car is about 17k miles, and will need 4th oil change soon. I have dealer handle first three service. Want to try something new.
Please let me know what do you using, any good or bad?
Whatever brand you choose, you should choose type designed for your vehicle. Also, check the labeling of the oil to ensure it meets the API SN Plus rating (donut looming label). With a reliable oil, there is no need to add additives either. I like the Preferred Customer program from Amsoil, which grants discounts to members for product purchases. Their oil uses a a three-tier system: OE, XP Boost, and Signature Series. Each step increase has more detergent additives against sludge, and incorporates longer drain intervals. In the past, I’ve gone with the XP Boost because it provides reliable 10k mile drain intervals, and is designed against low speed pre-ignition (LSPI). When Amsoil is not available, I will reach for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge. Again, choose the right oil type and find an oil that is convenient for you.

As far as filters, again, cross-reference the correct filter. Currently, my car will have one more year of free oil changes from the dealer, but I will switch to the Wix XP by this fall. Purolator is also another good choice that I seek when I can’t Wix.
Sponsored