Which cvt mode will quicker at the drag strip? Normal Drive or sport?

Cdavis52

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ext, 1988 shadow es 2.4 turbo swap, 1987 dakota 5.2 magnum
Country flag
Going to the drag strip Saturday Nov 7th. I plan on trying both modes to see if there's a difference in et's or mph. 2017 coupe cvt. K-tuner on 21 psi, prl catted down pipe and front pipe. Rest of the exh is still stock. And I know about the dangers of brake torquing the cvt.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cdavis52

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ext, 1988 shadow es 2.4 turbo swap, 1987 dakota 5.2 magnum
Country flag

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Iā€™ve never even used L on my cvt, but itā€™s going to give you the most low end torque... not the healthiest decision for your cvt tho, but neither is drag racing in it.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Iā€™ve had the best results starting in normal drive then slapping it into S (it would be L in case of the non-sport models) when the RPMs hits about 3000. This made it climb to redline almost instantly. The ECU seems to like keeping the revs low from a stop. Slapping it into S wakes it up. I donā€™t know if it would do the same for L, but itā€™s worth a try.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™ve had the best results starting in normal drive then slapping it into S (it would be L in case of the non-sport models) when the RPMs hits about 3000. This made it climb to redline almost instantly. The ECU seems to like keeping the revs low from a stop. Slapping it into S wakes it up. I donā€™t know if it would do the same for L, but itā€™s worth a try.
I stay in sport, but ease into it. It's weird to explain. It's like slow and deliberate but only about 1 second or so then you floor it. I like to think of it as giving the ECU a second to get the trans in place before you floor it, and I feel like it helps to be able to more or less "launch" it without putting a lot of stress on the trans since it's already moving. Once you get a good feel for it, it's not as tricky as it sounds lol. I think it basically does the same thing as what you've said, but you force the CVT to shift before flooring it which may be better in terms of a longer powerband RIGHT after you shift into S - since my way would likely require the CVT to adjust the ratio in S sooner than your method... Sorry if I'm not making sense!

I'm definitely trying to slap into S at 3k on my way home and see the difference, I had never heard of this! Thanks for sharing!

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I stay in sport, but ease into it. It's weird to explain. It's like slow and deliberate but only about 1 second or so then you floor it. I like to think of it as giving the ECU a second to get the trans in place before you floor it, and I feel like it helps to be able to more or less "launch" it without putting a lot of stress on the trans since it's already moving. Once you get a good feel for it, it's not as tricky as it sounds lol. I think it basically does the same thing as what you've said, but you force the CVT to shift before flooring it which may be better in terms of a longer powerband RIGHT after you shift into S - since my way would likely require the CVT to adjust the ratio in S sooner than your method... Sorry if I'm not making sense!

I'm definitely trying to slap into S at 3k on my way home and see the difference, I had never heard of this! Thanks for sharing!
Iā€™ve tried your way too and youā€™re right. What Iā€™m doing is effectively trying to ā€œwake upā€ the CVT and avoid the initial slow start of S mode. I typically get some wheel chirp then it sends. The CVT is so inconsistent itā€™s hard to even say with certainty though. And it can all depend on the mods people may or may not have. I definitely plan on trying some different stuff out once I get my sticky tires next week!

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™ve tried your way too and youā€™re right. What Iā€™m doing is effectively trying to ā€œwake upā€ the CVT and avoid the initial slow start of S mode. I typically get some wheel chirp then it sends. The CVT is so inconsistent itā€™s hard to even say with certainty though. And it can all depend on the mods people may or may not have. I definitely plan on trying some different stuff out once I get my sticky tires next week!
Dude, you couldn't have been more spot on. The inconsistency is starting to drive me a bit nutty.

This morning, an s2k wanted it on the highway and when I floored it, I just couldn't feel it like I can most of the time. Regardless of being in D, S, or using the paddles in S, sometimes it just pulls way harder than others and has nothing to do with knock control, outside temp, nothing. I've tried to find correlations with no luck. It's just literally some days it pulls harder than others.

Anywho, s2k looked stock from the outside, may have had a bolt on or two but no exhaust or anything, no visual mods. I feel like I should have pulled on it HARD with the new Phearable tune because that sh*t rips!! I also have intake downpipe exhaust and RMM so she's pretty damn quick, I'm still surprised most days when you put the hammer down.

BUT this time I felt like I legit got 3/4 the power I should have, and should have gapped the s2k but it just felt like my CVT was sitting there thinking or something, just didn't pick up like it should have at all. Oh well, just another example of how inconsistent my experience with the CVT has been.

Side note do you have an RMM? Once you throw stickies on, if you have an RMM between those two you should have no issue getting power to the ground without slipping.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dude, you couldn't have been more spot on. The inconsistency is starting to drive me a bit nutty.

This morning, an s2k wanted it on the highway and when I floored it, I just couldn't feel it like I can most of the time. Regardless of being in D, S, or using the paddles in S, sometimes it just pulls way harder than others and has nothing to do with knock control, outside temp, nothing. I've tried to find correlations with no luck. It's just literally some days it pulls harder than others.

Anywho, s2k looked stock from the outside, may have had a bolt on or two but no exhaust or anything, no visual mods. I feel like I should have pulled on it HARD with the new Phearable tune because that sh*t rips!! I also have intake downpipe exhaust and RMM so she's pretty damn quick, I'm still surprised most days when you put the hammer down.

BUT this time I felt like I legit got 3/4 the power I should have, and should have gapped the s2k but it just felt like my CVT was sitting there thinking or something, just didn't pick up like it should have at all. Oh well, just another example of how inconsistent my experience with the CVT has been.

Side note do you have an RMM? Once you throw stickies on, if you have an RMM between those two you should have no issue getting power to the ground without slipping.
No RMM for me, but since I recently got a lift, I might go that route. In regards to the CVT there are a few tricks Iā€™ve learned to get it to consistently perform in a predictable way:

The ECU has a few different inputs that makes it respond:

Double-tapping throttle = I want to go faster now

Downshifting the paddles = I want more revs now

S mode = I want revs in a controlled manner and to hold them longer.

Basically, you have to combine these inputs to achieve the desired result. Say if Iā€™m roll racing, my formula would be (doubletap+downshift(2)). This makes good revs and brings speed on very quickly, but safely. If I wanna get stupid and blow up my CVT I use (S-mode+doubletap+downshift(2)). The car pretty much hits 100 mph in a blink, but the revs jump so quickly it just doesnā€™t feel safe for the car. Figuring out what combination works best for the situation is actually a lot of fun. Once you get the combinations down you can override the Nanny inside the ECU.

RGBee

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
No RMM for me, but since I recently got a lift, I might go that route. In regards to the CVT there are a few tricks Iā€™ve learned to get it to consistently perform in a predictable way:

The ECU has a few different inputs that makes it respond:

Double-tapping throttle = I want to go faster now

Downshifting the paddles = I want more revs now

S mode = I want revs in a controlled manner and to hold them longer.

Basically, you have to combine these inputs to achieve the desired result. Say if Iā€™m roll racing, my formula would be (doubletap+downshift(2)). This makes good revs and brings speed on very quickly, but safely. If I wanna get stupid and blow up my CVT I use (S-mode+doubletap+downshift(2)). The car pretty much hits 100 mph in a blink, but the revs jump so quickly it just doesnā€™t feel safe for the car. Figuring out what combination works best for the situation is actually a lot of fun. Once you get the combinations down you can override the Nanny inside the ECU.
Sounds like you guys are sharing cheat codes for Need for Speed lol. This is a really interesting read though. I don't have paddle shifters but am curious to try double-tapping the throttle. What kind of effect does this achieve/what is it doing?

Also, what exactly is brake torqueing?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Holding the brake and throttle at the same time (holding the brake and keeping the revs up). It loads the transmission and gets it ready to launch.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like you guys are sharing cheat codes for Need for Speed lol. This is a really interesting read though. I don't have paddle shifters but am curious to try double-tapping the throttle. What kind of effect does this achieve/what is it doing?

Double-tapping the throttle boosts acceleration more than just pressing like normal. Itā€™s kinda like the old Cruisinā€™ USA arcade game, but your car wonā€™t do wheelies and shoot flames lol.

RGBee

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Double-tapping the throttle boosts acceleration more than just pressing like normal. Itā€™s kinda like the old Cruisinā€™ USA arcade game, but your car wonā€™t do wheelies and shoot flames lol.
Huh, neat. Definitely going to give that a try.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase