Which car wins on the track... CTR or C63 S?

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Okay... so I go to the Mercedes Dealership and all the salesman are standing outside to give us
the usual greeting... LOL! First thing I said to them... "I'll race any car you have on this lot over in Gopher Canyon!"
Man did that spark off the male testosterone among everyone. The older guys didn't really know much about the CTR, but the young guy knew and said, "that's a race car man...".YEP :). E30 Tuned ~ 3150 lbs and very experienced driver. Before all this happened though, I was on the twists when a C63 S passed me up ... then we came to the curve area and I was on him the whole way through. I couldn't pass because traffic in the other lane was too dense. As we get out of the curves he stops to turn left and flips me off as I pass by... LOL! I mean I was like nearly bumper to bumper on his ass... So all N all... which car wins at the track... and lets say both very good drivers....? I know the 63 S will eat me up in the straights but the game changes in the twists. Sad how some people underestimate a CTR because it's a Honda :/. I'm being very general when I say 'track'.

Quick Reference: https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-amg/c63

Real World 0 - 60 numbers (like i care about 0 - 60) but anyway >

Show you how flowered up the numbers are for these cars... never seen a sTOCK C63 S hit under 4 sec 0 - 60... not in California anyway with 91 Octane :) A tuned one yes... so it amazes me how e.g., Car&Driver gets these numbers via racing the car in the both directions and taking an average. I had a Mustang GT 10A, and the best I got on 91 Octane here in SoCal was 4.5 sec. I haven't really seen any better than that except some PPKG1 10A at the track with the pressures lowered hit 3.99... well according to what he said... no proof though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Type R imo the other is made to be a sporty luxury car. Now if you started talking about a 63 amg that thing would smoke you - cappuccino in hand or not I believe.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The C63 S is the top line AMG version. Quick glance at the specs and it looks on paper like it's close to an M3. This video shows the Type R vs the new M3 (and the A45 AMG that we don't get in NA). The M3 has the fastest time at 43.9, the Type R did a 45.6. The M3 probably handles better than the C63, so it might be very closer for a CTR vs C63 battle and would probably come down to the track setup. Car and Driver might have VIR lap times that could paint a better picture, but that track does favor straight line performance.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
CTR = BMW M3 in track performance. (current M3 is really good, CTR straight up beats previous gen M3s unless the track *really* favors straight line perf)

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Okay some good points were mentioned... VIR ... VIR offers six track configurations, of which two can be run simultaneously. The "Full Course" is 3.27 miles in length while the "Patriot Course" stretches for 1.1 miles entirely inside the Full Course. The "North Course" is 2.25 miles long and the "South Course" covers a distance of 1.65 miles. Obviously the C63 S is going to have the advantage in the straights.

I agree that the CTR can win against previous gen M3's... experienced that myself here already =) Driver factor is a concern but i'm speaking in general.

Buuuuttt... the AMG C63 S (on paper) stats are a bit lower than the CTR stats. Lateral g's 1.02 .. CTR 1.04. Braking... C63 S 157 ft. (what a boat) .. CTR 142 ft!

I just test drove a AMG C63 (not S) and it drives like a Kia Stinger GT AWD. I'm serious... it gets floaty when you push it. Not impressed for $70k car.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Okay some good points were mentioned... VIR ... VIR offers six track configurations, of which two can be run simultaneously. The "Full Course" is 3.27 miles in length while the "Patriot Course" stretches for 1.1 miles entirely inside the Full Course. The "North Course" is 2.25 miles long and the "South Course" covers a distance of 1.65 miles. Obviously the C63 S is going to have the advantage in the straights.

I agree that the CTR can win against previous gen M3's... experienced that myself here already =) Driver factor is a concern but i'm speaking in general.

Buuuuttt... the AMG C63 S (on paper) stats are a bit lower than the CTR stats. Lateral g's 1.02 .. CTR 1.04. Braking... C63 S 157 ft. (what a boat) .. CTR 142 ft!

I just test drove a AMG C63 (not S) and it drives like a Kia Stinger GT AWD. I'm serious... it gets floaty when you push it. Not impressed for $70k car.
Don't drive other performance cars after a Type R - it's a heavy 'emperor has no clothes' feeling. I drove my sisters 2020 ZL1 - 650hp - should just be a TREAT to drive.

Felt like gam gams cadillac all ready for church and lurching all over compared to the R.

It's weird but most other cars you 'feel the weight' the Type R feels like a sub 3k car to me weight wise but I know it's not.

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Don't drive other performance cars after a Type R - it's a heavy 'emperor has no clothes' feeling. I drove my sisters 2020 ZL1 - 650hp - should just be a TREAT to drive.

Felt like gam gams cadillac all ready for church and lurching all over compared to the R.

It's weird but most other cars you 'feel the weight' the Type R feels like a sub 3k car to me weight wise but I know it's not.
I had the exact same feeling with the ZL1, LT1 & SS... and the Scat Pack Charger even with the wide body option was worse! The R is a masterpiece. There's a big difference when you're driving in the canyons out here in SoCal versus doing a 'controlled' 300 ft. Circle Lateral G test... the heavy cars get more resonance from making unpredictable moves ... the R is planted.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Type R isn't that much over 3k so it is a fairly light car, not just a placebo.

blackdiamond

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatchie
Country flag
When I read the first post... I swear I was watching another fast and furious episode.. LOL

An instructor at a training event for SCCA, warned us "Your car might be fast to you... but not as fast as the better driver in the same car" I had a nice sign painted of that saying hanging in the garage.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Comparing a CTR to a car 2x the price? Sure, the Mercedes may be seconds faster but I'm perfectly happy with the performance to price ratio. I understand that's not the OP's question but it's worth pointing out, as I could do a lot of after-market upgrades for far less than $35,000.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
This is going to depend 100% on the driver. I’ve beaten plenty of cars that were faster than the CTR on paper. I’ve also lost to cars which should have been slower but had very talented drivers. No matter how good you think you are, I can guarantee there is another person out there better.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Assuming equal drivers... its going to depend upon the track, as said before.

I will agree with the comparisons to older M3s. I've run against a few of them, and even just on my 2nd and 3rd ever track day I had a race modified M3 that couldn't keep up. Young driver, but she had a lot more track time than me. Complained afterwards that my Baby Yoda sticker on the rear was taunting her the whole time! But, driver mod? I can only assume in equal cars she would be equal or better than me based on track experience. But that's just a WAG.

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Well... speaking about 'the straights' aspect of racing... here's an AMG 63 E85 tuned vs. FBO E?? CTR tuned by Derek Robinson :)
The dude that's counting sounds like the intro to Woolly Bully... anyway for what it is>

One has to question the legitimacy of these posted youtube videos, but taking it for what it is, this was the result.
Sponsored

Last edited: