Which Big Brake Kit should I get?

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm reaching 60k miles on my Si coupe and I see that my front brake pads are reaching their end of life.

I'm planning on replacing my front brakes with aftermarket big brake kit but couldn't decide as of yet which brand should I get.

I'm primarily looking at the 27Won BBK because of the price point, but I also know that I can get Brembo or Willwood because these are well known brand.

Any opinion or take on this will be appreciated.
Sponsored

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I’m going 27won when the time comes

whoisJSR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.avgntrials.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I got the Wilwood 4-pot kit from TSP. When it arrived, my pads were 1/4" too thick to fit inside the caliper and rotors that came in the kit. My options were to put my stock brakes back on, or grind the meat off the pads until they fit. Since I used loctite on the bolts, had waited 5 weeks to get my BBK, and didn't want any more downtime, I spent the next 2 hours of my life grinding brake pads. And yes I wore a mask, it was 115 outside... by the time I was done my white 3M mask was black.

TL;DR: if I had to do it again, I would've chosen an different kit/brand. Do I like my brakes? I do! But it was such a PITA, and the process was annoying, I wouldn't recommend that kit to anyone.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I got the Wilwood 4-pot kit from TSP. When it arrived, my pads were 1/4" too thick to fit inside the caliper and rotors that came in the kit. My options were to put my stock brakes back on, or grind the meat off the pads until they fit. Since I used loctite on the bolts, had waited 5 weeks to get my BBK, and didn't want any more downtime, I spent the next 2 hours of my life grinding brake pads. And yes I wore a mask, it was 115 outside... by the time I was done my white 3M mask was black.

TL;DR: if I had to do it again, I would've chosen an different kit/brand. Do I like my brakes? I do! But it was such a PITA, and the process was annoying, I wouldn't recommend that kit to anyone.

is there any squeaking issues?

whoisJSR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.avgntrials.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
it squeals sometimes, but I've read that more aggressive brakes can do that. I properly lubricated all the contact points and performed a bed-in, and most of the time they're silent. The brake pedal is much stiffer now and I can stop on a dime :)

(again, though, this is probably doable with the 27won or the Brembos etc. I can't speak for the Wilwood kits bought elsewhere, but if you go with TSP I'd make sure they send you the proper parts)

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag

Sorry to hear of the struggles. That’s just ridiculous for a bbk. In the pictures on their website it looks like the brake pad only makes contact with a portion of the rotor and theres a fair amount that doesnt get touched. Is that accurate?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My mechanic put Akebono discs and pads.
Work like original honda

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you already have aftermarket wheels?
I had test fitted my wheels with DC5R brembos and Genesis Brembos and they did not clear because those two Frankenstein setups sit way too close to the center hat of the rotor. Which means any wheel that has a concave design won't clear it unless you have a wheel with some crazy offset. Finding wheels for these 2 brake setups is annoying. Most wheels will need spacers to clear with a handful that do clear without spacers.

I ended up going with the 27won kit for my car and i have zero complaints. Bigger 2 piece rotor and tons of clearance.

If you already have wheels you can print out the 27won brake kit template to see if it clears your existing wheels.

Also brake squeal depends on the type of brake pads you go with, the sport pads that come with the 27won kit do squeal at times. I have put about 60,000 km on my BBK with 27won and just replaced the front pads with Hawk HPS 5.0 Street and doesn't squeal for daily use. I'll be using Hawk DTC60 when I go out on Track.

hope this helps

Honda Civic 10th gen Which Big Brake Kit should I get? 190023467_10159158180456061_2939882291614294953_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Which Big Brake Kit should I get? 190075967_10159158180706061_461844776778902546_n

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Do you already have aftermarket wheels?
I had test fitted my wheels with DC5R brembos and Genesis Brembos and they did not clear because those two Frankenstein setups sit way too close to the center hat of the rotor. Which means any wheel that has a concave design won't clear it unless you have a wheel with some crazy offset. Finding wheels for these 2 brake setups is annoying. Most wheels will need spacers to clear with a handful that do clear without spacers.

I ended up going with the 27won kit for my car and i have zero complaints. Bigger 2 piece rotor and tons of clearance.

If you already have wheels you can print out the 27won brake kit template to see if it clears your existing wheels.

Also brake squeal depends on the type of brake pads you go with, the sport pads that come with the 27won kit do squeal at times. I have put about 60,000 km on my BBK with 27won and just replaced the front pads with Hawk HPS 5.0 Street and doesn't squeal for daily use. I'll be using Hawk DTC60 when I go out on Track.

hope this helps

190023467_10159158180456061_2939882291614294953_n.jpg

190075967_10159158180706061_461844776778902546_n.jpg
Thank you for the reply. I already have Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 offset wheels and I'm confident that this can accomodate big brake kits. I'll take note regarding the brake pads you mentioned because brake squeal is my concern regarding big brake kits.

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the reply. I already have Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 offset wheels and I'm confident that this can accomodate big brake kits. I'll take note regarding the brake pads you mentioned because brake squeal is my concern regarding big brake kits.
Pretty sure that offset won't clear. That's practically stock fitment. Stock wheels won't clear bbk either.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 27won. They look nice. It was worth it to get them ceramic coated to keep them easy to clean. Pads squealed like crazy but don’t anymore after a track day and in the summer. Perhaps pick a BBK that looks good to you as aesthetics play a big role as they likely function all similarly.

Honda Civic 10th gen Which Big Brake Kit should I get? 460904B3-1146-4E07-ACB9-86174865FF43

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw in the Wilwood 6-piston kit. It clears the stock 18" sport & Si wheels, so they may clear those TS-10 wheels. You should also be able to print out a template of these to check against the inside of your wheel.

This kit is a bit more expensive than the other options, however, and you have to buy their SS brake line separately.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Pretty sure that offset won't clear. That's practically stock fitment. Stock wheels won't clear bbk either.
Im basing my opinion on the design of the spoke of the TS-10.

Or maybe I should print that fitment guide like you mentioned and really confirm. If it doesnt fit then ill just buy another new set of wheels as I'm not into wheel spacers and the design of the TS-10 doesn't wow me anymore.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Actually as long as the BBK
I have 27won. They look nice. It was worth it to get them ceramic coated to keep them easy to clean. Pads squealed like crazy but don’t anymore after a track day and in the summer. Perhaps pick a BBK that looks good to you as aesthetics play a big role as they likely function all similarly.

460904B3-1146-4E07-ACB9-86174865FF43.jpeg
As long as the calipers are red they look good for me:)

whoisJSR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.avgntrials.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sorry to hear of the struggles. That’s just ridiculous for a bbk. In the pictures on their website it looks like the brake pad only makes contact with a portion of the rotor and theres a fair amount that doesnt get touched. Is that accurate?

Correct. There's a decent portion of the rotor that hasn't been touched. As far as I can tell, the entire pad is used, but the rotor is oversized. I don't mind, but yeah, something seems goofy with that kit.
Sponsored