Where's the reviews for the Hybrid-Racing Shifter?

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Is the well dry on these shifters or are people here too comfortable with Acquity's version?
Sponsored

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I just recently installed one last week. I went with hybridracing shifter over the acuity because of Its price. Im not any professional reviewer by any means but all i can say is i love my purchase, No regrets and worth every penny in my opinion. Shifting feels so good and precise. I love the mechanical solid feeling of every shift.

I have no experience with the acuity shifter so i cant compare both. I was Only able to compare them side by side in store and i see the quality on the acuity better than the hybrid racing shifter. End of the day i still went with hybrid racing because its cheaper. Cheaper in price but does not mean quality is not there. Best upgrade ive ever done on my hatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Where's the reviews for the Hybrid-Racing Shifter? B07995B1-6725-4151-8A4F-4DC9B2BDDF46

Last edited:

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mazda Miata, 2016 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen
Country flag
It's interesting that Acuity copied the design of the stock shifter functionally while Hybrid changed it up a little. I wish the Hybrid had variable settings instead of just the 2, I'd for sure go with Hybrid if it had the same range of adjustability.

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback! There are certain inherent issues with the OEM design when you start talking about making it a "short" shifter and we avoid those by adding in our four-link upper section. The adjustability is also there, however instead of having a super-wide range of adjustment (from being way too long or so short you can't shift) we picked what we felt like were ideal settings for the FK8 specifically. If you come from the Civic Si shifter to ours at the shortest setting, it will blow you away. :)

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback! There are certain inherent issues with the OEM design when you start talking about making it a "short" shifter and we avoid those by adding in our four-link upper section. The adjustability is also there, however instead of having a super-wide range of adjustment (from being way too long or so short you can't shift) we picked what we felt like were ideal settings for the FK8 specifically. If you come from the Civic Si shifter to ours at the shortest setting, it will blow you away. :)
I meant interesting in a good way, for sure. I just got my Hybrid short shifter installed last week and I'm in love with it. I've got it set on the longer throws for now, dropped the shift knob down as far as it goes, and stuck a Raceseng Circuit 100 on it. I hate to blaspheme, but I like shifting it more than my NB Miata 5 speed. I'd say bolt-action smooth, almost no play whatsoever. It felt a little crunchy at first but after a day or two it broke in and it's buttery smooth now.

Only negative feedback I really have with it is that the threading was clocked wrong for the longer gating setting on the rocker arm and the pin hole was near vertical when snugged up. I had to get creative with it and make some spacers (poked some holes in the plastic bags this all came in and made my own "washers", took 2 to space it adequately) so I could tighten it while keeping the pin hole horizontal to use the OEM clip for the shift cable. I assume most people will be keeping it on the short settings, though.

Nevermind on the above (how the heck do you do strikethrough on this site?), you can leave it loose and clip it per below. I was just being picky wanting it snugged down.

Thanks for making a great product and keeping the cost palatable!

P.S. What wheels do you have on your test car? I love them but can't find a thread saying what they are.

Last edited:

HybridRacing

Elite Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the info! Can you email us more info on what you had to do? The cable attachment pins don't need to be tight against the rocker, they thread & have a clip to just keep them in place. It's fine if they are threaded in, but loose. If I'm thinking of something different, let me know. Either way, thanks again for all of the feedback.

We run Titan7 TS-5 wheels on our FK8, 18x9.5 +35 & 265/35 tires.

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info! Can you email us more info on what you had to do? The cable attachment pins don't need to be tight against the rocker, they thread & have a clip to just keep them in place. It's fine if they are threaded in, but loose. If I'm thinking of something different, let me know. Either way, thanks again for all of the feedback.

We run Titan7 TS-5 wheels on our FK8, 18x9.5 +35 & 265/35 tires.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to save for a while if I want those wheels... The cable attachment pin situation I had is exactly what you described, I revised my earlier post. I just wanted to snug it down to make sure there was no play, but you're right, with the clip on the back holding it in and the OEM cable pin stopping rotation, it would have been fine. Thanks again!

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For Super Street applications (Non-Circuit Tracking), Maybe a little Tracking later on which one is actually better the Acuity Stage 3 with bushings? or the Hybrid Racing Shifter, Im seeing conflicting reviews out there

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't speak to the Acuity side, but people say it's nicer. The Hybrid is fantastic and the only thing it's missing is a full range of adjustability. You would probably be fine with either of the two positions picked out on the Hybrid. At the end of the day, it's just a shifter. Use case really doesn't matter like tires would. Either one will tighten things up. Just have to figure out if you need it to be fully adjustable and want to shell out for that. Hybrids can be bought below MSRP from sellers, but Acuity only sells on their store and at most on Cyber Monday you can get 5% off which doesn't even cover shipping.

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't speak to the Acuity side, but people say it's nicer. The Hybrid is fantastic and the only thing it's missing is a full range of adjustability. You would probably be fine with either of the two positions picked out on the Hybrid. At the end of the day, it's just a shifter. Use case really doesn't matter like tires would. Either one will tighten things up. Just have to figure out if you need it to be fully adjustable and want to shell out for that. Hybrids can be bought below MSRP from sellers, but Acuity only sells on their store and at most on Cyber Monday you can get 5% off which doesn't even cover shipping.
Got it so as long as im not trying to be the fastest by literally milliseconds, Hybrid should be more then fine and a little cheaper, like the difference between buying 30$ trucks on a skateboard and 100$ magnesium trucks, If i was a professional it might matter but since im not ill never be able to justify the cost of the slightly better one.

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got it so as long as im not trying to be the fastest by literally milliseconds, Hybrid should be more then fine and a little cheaper, like the difference between buying 30$ trucks on a skateboard and 100$ magnesium trucks, If i was a professional it might matter but since im not ill never be able to justify the cost of the slightly better one.
Basically. You do have to take into account that the Acuity is fully adjustable. But yeah, for me, the cost just wasn't worth it. I got the hybrid in the mid $300s vs the Acuity at $500. I'm on the longer throw setting and happy as a clam. If I need to go shorter, I can, but there is no fine tuning, it's just short throw and shorter throw. I'm happy with it and you probably would be, too.

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically. You do have to take into account that the Acuity is fully adjustable. But yeah, for me, the cost just wasn't worth it. I got the hybrid in the mid $300s vs the Acuity at $500. I'm on the longer throw setting and happy as a clam. If I need to go shorter, I can, but there is no fine tuning, it's just short throw and shorter throw. I'm happy with it and you probably would be, too.
Thanks for the honest review, honestly my mechanic experiance stops with Power train, Im very Uneducated on tuning suspension or fine tuning a shift or tuning a car in general, I can do part swaps and basic mechanics or anything that dosnt require me to look at the suspension lol, I can even do wiring because its an input output type of thing, but deciding how i want the throw or where to space the gate 0.o honestly scared me a bit. edit: should i still get the acuity shifter bushings.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I finally installed my HybridRacing shifter and cable bushings. I had the factory shifter with stage 2 acuity kit. It did improve the feel and made shifts shorter. And I can’t speak of the full shifter by acuity. But this HybridRacing shifter and cable bushings made my shifter feel direct. It doesn’t feel like a cable driven transmission. It feels like the transmission is right under the shifter. I went ahead and went with the shortest adjustment and left the stiffer spring in. The best part is since the cables sit straight it no longer makes that clicking sound going into the even gears like it use to. It is a nice tight mechanical feel while maintaining smooth operation. I’m happy with it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Where's the reviews for the Hybrid-Racing Shifter? 2DC72892-909B-49DD-8B2A-B1DF6DC1D0E8
Honda Civic 10th gen Where's the reviews for the Hybrid-Racing Shifter? BC9E6DF3-A39A-4B2B-9000-AF46E315ED2B
Honda Civic 10th gen Where's the reviews for the Hybrid-Racing Shifter? 420A1428-BB7C-41C8-891D-885B6F524EC6
Honda Civic 10th gen Where's the reviews for the Hybrid-Racing Shifter? 6B75F2B5-5128-4449-BA35-8FE7A07F0FFA

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I got mine on black Friday for $430 shipped. Infinitely better than OEM... Just wish I could test out the Hybrid one. I love the Acuity shifter though so I dunno.
Sponsored