Where to Place Jack Stands when Your Jack is using the Jacking points.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Yea, I know the front central jacking point is a PITA to get to but wondering if you use the jacking points on the pinch welds, is there a good place to put a jack stand under the front suspension or similar spot to allow the car to be dropped on to. Not worried about the rear.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I don’t think there is a great spot. Even that center exposed subframe brace spot that is supposed to be a jacking point is now bent up on mine.

Ive been driving up halfway on ramps to get to that spot with my jack and using a hockey puck to smush between the jack and that spot for some cushion. Also gives me an extra inch or so of lift.

After that i put front jack stands on the pinch welds. Then I can get the rear jacking points next to the exhaust on my Si coupe and slide the rear jack stands in.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there no good spot near the control arm mounting points?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I use the pinch welds with a puck to prevent damage works great?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are the pinch welds strong enough other than in the areas that are used for jacking the car up?
I just did it - I jacked up one side of car a bit - put other jack to center jackpoint - jacked it up - then put two jackstands on the pinchwelds and left a foorjack on the centerpoint to do an oil change (currently draining)

Those pinch welds, if used correctly and not damaged excessively by using them incorrectly, are meant to withstand the weight of the car to jack up one side.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just did it - I jacked up one side of car a bit - put other jack to center jackpoint - jacked it up - then put two jackstands on the pinchwelds and left a foorjack on the centerpoint to do an oil change (currently draining)

Those pinch welds, if used correctly and not damaged excessively by using them incorrectly, are meant to withstand the weight of the car to jack up one side.
I can certainly see this working with 2 jacks but would like to find a way with just one i.e. something I can easily do at the track. I suppose I could use low level ramps and then try to get to the front crossmember jacking point, but not sure if the 2.5" lift from the ramps gives me enough clearance to get to the center jacking point. I think the jacking points on the pinch weld are obviously strong enough to accommodate a jack stand and agree a hockey puck is likely good padding.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can certainly see this working with 2 jacks but would like to find a way with just one i.e. something I can easily do at the track. I suppose I could use low level ramps and then try to get to the front crossmember jacking point, but not sure if the 2.5" lift from the ramps gives me enough clearance to get to the center jacking point. I think the jacking points on the pinch weld are obviously strong enough to accommodate a jack stand and agree a hockey puck is likely good padding.
I used to just drive the front tires up onto 2 pieces of 2x4 then have enough clearance to get the jack to the center middle jackpoint. I started to do the two jack approach because I ended up having 2 jacks. With the wood block approach I found it easiest to get in behind the front tire, not from the front.

The puck I have has a groove in it for the pinchweld - so not just a hockey puck really - but really tough rubber - I also have an aluminum one - both work well - though the rubber one will eventually split over time. (I've had one fail but no damge)

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Does the center jack point not exist on the R ?

Jack.PNG
It does, but you have to jack the car up from the front side first to be able to slide a jack back there... unless someone makes like a 6 foot long low profile jack.

This car is so rigid I'll usually jack it up by the drivers door as high as I can, put a jackstand at the rear door, drop it back down and jack it up from the front passenger side and that'll get the front up a bit.

But honestly, just get 2 jacks. Ive got 2x 2.5tons and a 1x 4ton (i think, it's the Harbor Freight Snap-on clone)

elmoTK

R-00272
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW '17 CTR, '07 TSX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Front center jack point is a PIA. Jack up at the side, rear, jack point high enough to place the stand under the front side jack point. Repeat on the other side. If you need to place stands at the side rear jack points also, jack up at the rear most jack point. Then place your stands at the rear side jack points.

shakedown94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #8479. Past cars - 80 Civic,97 Civic,87 Integra,94 Integra,94 Civic,00 Integra,12 Hyundai Accent
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
before I got my quick jacks, I used to do this.... jack up at one of the rear side jack points in front of the rear wheels high enough to get a jack stand under the front jack point. Then, lower the rear. Then, jack from the center of the front subframe to get front at the height I wanted. Then jack from center point to get the rear where you want w/ 4 jack stands.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
Yea, I know the front central jacking point is a PITA to get to but wondering if you use the jacking points on the pinch welds, is there a good place to put a jack stand under the front suspension or similar spot to allow the car to be dropped on to. Not worried about the rear.
i just jack the car up from one pinch weld in the front high enough to slide a brick paver under the tire then use the central point in the front to bring it up and slide the stands in.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t think there is a great spot. Even that center exposed subframe brace spot that is supposed to be a jacking point is now bent up on mine.

Ive been driving up halfway on ramps to get to that spot with my jack and using a hockey puck to smush between the jack and that spot for some cushion. Also gives me an extra inch or so of lift.

After that i put front jack stands on the pinch welds. Then I can get the rear jacking points next to the exhaust on my Si coupe and slide the rear jack stands in.
My centre jacking point on the subframe is bent up to. I was worried I was the only one. My car kept going up and down all summer doing mods while staying at home. I was careful and don’t know when it happened. Just noticed it one time.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
why would you create a car with weak/difficult jack points?
Sponsored