Where is the CVT check fill plug?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The Honda maintenance schedule calls for CVT fluid changes every 25,000 miles. If people never change the fluid then they should expect to replace the transmission at around the 100k mark.
The 25,000 miles is correct, but only in one scenario.

I contacted Honda when I bought the car & asked about the maintenance schedule like I’ve always had with other cars. They replied:
“Your vehicle utilizes a Maintenance Minder system to advise when regular services….”
“Therefore, there is no set maintenance schedule; the exception to this is the numbered items found at the bottom of page 515.”

The bottom of page 515 states:
Continuously variable transmission models
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km).

Of course there is no harm in changing trans fluid more often. I used to change engine oil every 1,000 miles. But over time it became 2,000, then 3,000, etc. Now I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations due to improved oils & higher accuracy in the manufacturing & machining of parts.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
Definitely let me know! Because I’d way rather do it myself!
The transmission fluid change was successful!
The bolt by the yellow question mark in the original post is indeed the check level plug.
Now that I've changed it once, it's ridiculously easy. I even received the 4 quarts of new fluid via Amazon.

fyi, I drained about 3.5 old quarts, then added all four new quarts. Drain plug back in, I then ran the engine, moving through all the gears. Engine off, unscrewed the check fill bolt. A little dribble, so I screwed it back in and finished the job. Easy!

Many thanks to Daniel644 and to BriteBlue!

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The bolt by the yellow question mark in the original post is indeed the check level plug.
Now that I've changed it once, it's ridiculously easy. I even received the 4 quarts of new fluid via Amazon.

fyi, I drained about 3.5 old quarts, then added all four new quarts. Drain plug back in, I then ran the engine, moving through all the gears. Engine off, unscrewed the check fill bolt. A little dribble, so I screwed it back in and finished the job. Easy!

On other cars I've owned the trans fluid level as shown on the dipstick varied quite a bit depending on the fluid temperature. On my other car without a dipstick, the level supposed to be checked when the fluid is at a specified temperature. Does Honda specify any temperature when checking the level? The concern being you put in more than you took out. If you drove the car & got the trans real hot & checked, would more fluid dribble out?

OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
On other cars I've owned the trans fluid level as shown on the dipstick varied quite a bit depending on the fluid temperature. On my other car without a dipstick, the level supposed to be checked when the fluid is at a specified temperature. Does Honda specify any temperature when checking the level? The concern being you put in more than you took out. If you drove the car & got the trans real hot & checked, would more fluid dribble out?
Very good point.
I do not know.
I wonder if some technical service manual would specify checking it hot or cold.

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
No matter what! just make sure you get the orange oil scented one and Plug it in~ Plug it in~ ;)

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Can you provide a link to the Amazon CVT fluid you ordered? I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm approaching the 25k mile mark. I drive like a grandma however I do race my Civic from time to time. On a track of course. Better safe than sorry. And I have no interest in paying over $100+ for something this simple that can be done. $25 maybe for the convenience.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag

This thread got me curious so I opened the hood on my 2019 LX 2.0 liter Civic. It appears to me that with a flex pipe funnel you can easily stick the CVT fluid hole without removing the airbox. Since you have gone through the actual process, do you think that it was necessary to yank the airbox out to get to the CVT fill hole?

OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
This thread got me curious so I opened the hood on my 2019 LX 2.0 liter Civic. It appears to me that with a flex pipe funnel you can easily stick the CVT fluid hole without removing the airbox. Since you have gone through the actual process, do you think that it was necessary to yank the airbox out to get to the CVT fill hole?
See pictures in my original post.
As indicated, I have a 1.5L engine, not a 2.0L.
Fluid fill hole was easily accessed.

OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
Can you provide a link to the Amazon CVT fluid you ordered? I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm approaching the 25k mile mark. I drive like a grandma however I do race my Civic from time to time. On a track of course. Better safe than sorry. And I have no interest in paying over $100+ for something this simple that can be done. $25 maybe for the convenience.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFDFIO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Genuine Honda 08200-HCF2 Fluid Hcf-2, 1 U.S. QT/946 ML"

Reactions: Myx

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Very good point.
I do not know.
I wonder if some technical service manual would specify checking it hot or cold.
per the guide I linked they say at operating temp.

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I just stumbled on to this thread since I'll be changing out my CVT fluid in my 2.0 in a few weeks. Did you ever end up trying to use a flexible funnel? I'd rather not waste time taking the airbox out if I can avoid it.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I did a test run with a flex funnel just to see if I could fit it down into the fill opening. I'm happy to report that while the funnel wasn't a complete success, it gave me a better idea that worked perfectly. All you need is some clear plastic tubing, a funnel and a worm gear hose clamp. This allowed me to feed the plastic tube directly into the fill opening and pour into the funnel way up high above the motor. I didn't have to take anything off and the hardest part was taking out and reinstalling the fill plug.

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I did a test run with a flex funnel just to see if I could fit it down into the fill opening. I'm happy to report that while the funnel wasn't a complete success, it gave me a better idea that worked perfectly. All you need is some clear plastic tubing, a funnel and a worm gear hose clamp. This allowed me to feed the plastic tube directly into the fill opening and pour into the funnel way up high above the motor. I didn't have to take anything off and the hardest part was taking out and reinstalling the fill plug.
I'll give this a try, thank you!

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Getting closer to the change date. What size tubing did you use?
Sponsored