Where is the CVT check fill plug?

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
2016 1.5L. I see where the ATF drain plug is (see under-car picture). I see the rubber-stopper ATF fill hole (see over-engine picture). But where is the plug for setting/checking the fluid level? I have labeled some candidates with a "?" in Picture 2, but none look promising. A YouTube video indicated it on the front face of the transmission case, but I saw no bolt there. Any clues are appreciated, thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the CVT check fill plug? ATF Drain Plu

Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the CVT check fill plug? ATF Fill Stopper- wide

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I don't know the answer. But I have a 2.0 CVT LX and I don't have this green-circled thing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the CVT check fill plug? ATF Fill Stopper- wide

OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
Surely SOMEONE has changed their CVT fluid on their 1.5L and can offer a clue?

OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
There isn’t one. It’s electronically measured.
Hmmm...if that is true, then how does one know how much fluid to add, how does one know when it's at the correct level, how can one access that electronic meter?

10Gcivicgirl

First Name
Deanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmmm...if that is true, then how does one know how much fluid to add, how does one know when it's at the correct level, how can one access that electronic meter?

I was told by the dealership when they told me it needed to be done. I was like oh we will change it ourselves, and they said you can’t do it yourself unless you want to guess on how much is in there, because it’s electronically measured.

10Gcivicgirl

First Name
Deanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was told by the dealership when they told me it needed to be done. I was like oh we will change it ourselves, and they said you can’t do it yourself unless you want to guess on how much is in there, because it’s electronically measured.
Pretty much another way for dealerships to make more money, because it’s has to be done by them. It’s BS. We just paid 140$ for them to do it a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
Pretty much another way for dealerships to make more money, because it’s has to be done by them. It’s BS. We just paid 140$ for them to do it a few weeks ago.
Yikes.
Good to know.
I expect to attempt the CVT fluid change in a couple days, hoping that the check fill plug noted above by Daniel644 works out, and will follow-up.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you have a CVT transmission, so quit using the term ATF, its not an automatic transmission

what are you trying to accomplish?

there is no need to check the CVT fluid level....as in....never....unless your CVT is leaking...or when your changing the fluid
Actually, the CVT is an automatic transmission.;)

10Gcivicgirl

First Name
Deanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes.
Good to know.
I expect to attempt the CVT fluid change in a couple days, hoping that the check fill plug noted above by Daniel644 works out, and will follow-up.
Definitely let me know! Because I’d way rather do it myself!

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
I don't know the answer. But I have a 2.0 CVT LX and I don't have this green-circled thing.

ATF Fill Stopper- wide.jpg
It's there, it's just hidden below your airbox, here is a video of a Hatchback that has the 2.0 Liter (you can tell because the air intake box is different then the 1.5, in the video he removes the air box and exposes what he calls the "fill port", that is that part.

Sounds like a shady dealership lied to you to scam you into paying for a service that you can do yourself for under $50. the Link I shared above clearly documents the process.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
A lot of manufacturers have done away with the auto trans dipstick. On my other car they say the trans fluid is good for the life of the car, unless there's a problem. Since Honda doesn't publish a maintenance schedule there's no way to tell if the fluid should ever be changed.

I'm not saying the trans fluid should not be changed, & I have changed it on other cars. But with the synthetic motor oils that are supposed to be good for 10,000 miles, I'm guessing modern trans fluid is made to last a long time & most people will never need to change it.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
...I'm guessing modern trans fluid is made to last a long time & most people will never need to change it.
The Honda maintenance schedule calls for CVT fluid changes every 25,000 miles. If people never change the fluid then they should expect to replace the transmission at around the 100k mark.
Sponsored