Where is the coolant drain plug on the hatch?

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
man, wtf. I spent over an hour trying to reach the drain plug. I can see it and feel it. But i couldn't reach it with enough lever to twist it off. What is your secrete?
You have to remove a bunch of stuff in order to get to the drain, according to the service instructions. And it might require buying new bolts, too. I'm thinking this is one job for the dealer.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
man, wtf. I spent over an hour trying to reach the drain plug. I can see it and feel it. But i couldn't reach it with enough lever to twist it off. What is your secrete?
Have you removed everything you can off the bottom of the car? It was fairly easy to reach in and twist with a pair of pliers at that point.

You have to remove a bunch of stuff in order to get to the drain, according to the service instructions. And it might require buying new bolts, too. I'm thinking this is one job for the dealer.
If you are draining the coolant from the block you would need a new washer and possibly bolt yeah. If you are just using the plastic drain valve on the radiator there's nothing to replace. Just gotta pull all the plastic shielding off underneath.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are just using the plastic drain valve on the radiator there's nothing to replace. Just gotta pull all the plastic shielding off underneath.
Haven't done this service yet, but the service instructions mention to remove the intake air resonator to reach the radiator drain. But to do that, you need to remove the front brace, which uses a couple of special bolts that are supposed to be replaced (apparently they are single-use bolts). Sounds like a major pain. If you can reach the radiator drain without removing the resonator, it would certainly make the job simpler. Damn engineers sure seem to make maintenance more difficult.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Haven't done this service yet, but the service instructions mention to remove the intake air resonator to reach the radiator drain. But to do that, you need to remove the front brace, which uses a couple of special bolts that are supposed to be replaced (apparently they are single-use bolts). Sounds like a major pain. If you can reach the radiator drain without removing the resonator, it would certainly make the job simpler. Damn engineers sure seem to make maintenance more difficult.
@biosses

Ah you know what, that might have helped me a lot. I'm running the 27WON intake so I don't have the lower resonator anymore. That would definitely be in the way. Although it didn't require removing any major suspension bits to get out, you can pull the lower resonator from the top or bottom. There's only 2 10mm and a bracket or two.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
@biosses

Ah you know what, that might have helped me a lot. I'm running the 27WON intake so I don't have the lower resonator anymore. That would definitely be in the way. Although it didn't require removing any major suspension bits to get out, you can pull the lower resonator from the top or bottom. There's only 2 10mm and a bracket or two.

the drain plug is right behind the air intake resonator. i didn't remove the bolts on the resonator.

glbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sports Hatchback
Country flag
I cannot remove the drain plug...any sugg
Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the coolant drain plug on the hatch? 20230415_073219
estions?
Sponsored