Where do you store your pistol?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Check out VAULTEK, they have something new called a life pod. It’s electronic, small enough for a backpack. I have a couple of their products for the house and have been happy with them. No direct experience with life pod.
They have the coolest products, the Lifepod looks so cool I want to get one even though I don't really need a waterproof lock box.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
That’s a very good question because I was actually going to ask the same. I had just recently bought a new car and was trying to figure out a safe location for my pistol to be secured while driving but not drill any holes. But both of my pistols are .380’s so not really big like the Glock 19 which I used to have for conceal carry. I am also looking at getting the Glock 43 since it’s a 9mm and I can do all my reloading for that ammo. But as far as placement goes for securing your gun, you’d best bet would be on you. In case you need to access it quickly and you’re not digging around in your car for it.
I think there's two reasons someone might want a mount inside the car (1) for comfort so you're not having to wear a holster digging into your backside or appendix. or (2) you want something quicker to access than a holster on your person which other than maybe a shoulder holster is going to be awkward to access quickly.

A .380 you could just pocket carry and be comfortable. So it's more for #2 and imo if you are in a situation where you need a gun quickly in your car, you want something better than .380. Get a G43X at least. No reason to buy a G43 anymore imo. You give up 4 rounds and a comfortable grip for minimal gain.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How is it controversial? Don't let people take your rights away brotha!

Stupid gun laws in NY (*ahem* safe act) do not do crap to deter criminals shooting a place up. The black market is flooded with cheap illegal assault rifles everywhere. Government fools think taking away law abiding citizens rights will make peace.
Any-who, that's a story for another day.

Gosh, fools nowadays who think guns are all "evil". If a criminal has one ready to kill me, who am I to not carry one to defend my family and I?
No, you have to call 911 and wait for the funded poli...oh wait.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife uses a friction holster between the drivers seat and center console... and has it in the car when she’s away by herself on long trips. She’s had a few guns over the years and had a small S&W .38 and one of the little Ruger .380s currently. We’ve got a variety to choose from. I plan I’m passing along much of what I have to the kids when they’re adults if they desire to have anything.

I tend to carry medium sized weapons of no particular caliber preference (I’ve got several choices) on my person as I don’t like to transfer a weapon on me when I get out of the car... and holstering seated is awkward and, IMO, higher risk than I desire. My guns are generally placed in IWB holsters off-body, then I wear them. The location she uses lends itself to much easier access in-car... and transferring gun-in-holster like she does negates risk. IWB attached to my belt carries well but (at least my holsters) transfer poorly. The small stuff pocket carries well in a friction holster and I don’t mind transferring gun+holster on and off body. I open carry an older 38 revolver that I got mainly for shooting primer-only wax bullets when I fish (mostly for poisonous snakes... first round is snake shot) and occasionally have if I was hunting... though I do little more than small game hunt with my oldest anymore and I don’t carry a pistol when I carry a .22 rifle/pellet gun which is most of the time. I’ve into pellet gun stuff in recent years. Fun stuff.

I’ve dispatched a mortally wounded animal hit by a car, and was glad I could give it that mercy and in this post-Ted Bundy world still stop for stranded motorists often... especially at night in the middle of nowhere. Being armed gives me some piece of mind. I’ve learned a little hand-to-hand in the service... enough to know that I would not do well against anyone competent or more than one adversary. I’ve never, ever had any issue with anyone I’ve stopped for though, and a few interventions may have been the difference between life and death... so I’ll keep doing it. I’m confident and competent and my wages are paid for with taxpayer dollars... so I feel indebted to people if they’re in trouble to try and help if I can.

I certainly have no issue with folks not carrying in a car. I choose to. If not for on-base firearms restrictions... I’d always have a gun in the car. Given my father had a gun in his center console for my entire childhood... it’s normal to me. He was a volunteer firefighter for decades and would be the first responder to scenes where... it gave him some chance if it got hot before a deputy arrived (common when living out in the middle of nowhere) and he of had to defend himself. He’d been a special deputy for awhile as well... so he did have some formal training, though as a firefighter/EMT... he was not there to make a situation any worse. He did have a a circumstance where he gave aid to a deputy who he rode with as a SD who was alone and under fire in the 80s. My dad was a very gentle man... would do anything for anyone and devoted his life to helping others. After he retired, he started up a food bank at his church and ran it until his death... and the donations made to it in lieu of flowers/gifts have kept it going, along with normal donations even years later.

He said... if someone wanted to kill him and it was “him or me”... that he’d do what it took to make it “them”. He did not believe in a “fair fight”... you fought to win, using anything at your disposal. He taught me to avoid a fight at all costs, including fleeing vs fighting and that killing someone who’s stealing property isn’t worth that persons life. It’s just replaceable stuff. If there was no other choice though to prevent harm/death to yourself... fight to win.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think there's two reasons someone might want a mount inside the car (1) for comfort so you're not having to wear a holster digging into your backside or appendix. or (2) you want something quicker to access than a holster on your person which other than maybe a shoulder holster is going to be awkward to access quickly.

A .380 you could just pocket carry and be comfortable. So it's more for #2 and imo if you are in a situation where you need a gun quickly in your car, you want something better than .380. Get a G43X at least. No reason to buy a G43 anymore imo. You give up 4 rounds and a comfortable grip for minimal gain.
My boyfriend wants the G43X. Wish I had the funds or else I could buy it for him for his birthday but there’s a place he can get it at a blue line special for $358. If I’m correct. But yes, a G43X is far more superior than a .380.

legalkill

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I got the universal mount for the Vaultek Slider. I wanted the ability to easily swap cars.
Works ok. Maybe a little wobbly. Maybe a little high but that is where the SI seat has the upper hump that works best for the strap. The civic does not have a lot of leg room either so If I have passengers I can remove or not have in constantly until I am traveling. I think that other than trying to reach the biometric scanner blind, I will have the bluetooth app ready to open it and then just reach for the gun. Probably faster and more accurate than the blind finger scan in a situation.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@MYSI2112 in its holster on my person.

I dont believe in storing tools i may need to use in any safe or compartment separate from my person. Also don’t believe in carrying without a round in the chamber.

Get familiar with your state laws and how to interact properly and safely with LEOs. And congratulations.
Sponsored