Where Do You Prefer to Get Your Car Serviced?

Where Do You Prefer to Get Your Car Serviced?

• A Honda dealer

• An independent shop

• One of the big auto repair chains

• Wherever is charging the least for what I need

• No one touches my car but me!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just curious to see where Si owners like to take their car when it needs maintenance/repairs. Of course, every driver's dream is to have a best friend who also happens to be an expert mechanic, owns a shop, and always gives you a good deal on whatever you need, but not all of us are that lucky.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Under warranty, Dr Honda. Out of warranty, I do it myself. Always follow the MM as well.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All the regular maintenance/mods/repairs will always go through me first. If i dont feel confident in my capabilities then i go to my trusted mechanic.
It just gives me peace of mind knowing EXACTLY what's been done, how it was done, and with that TLC lol Not saying that mechanics dont care but at the end of the day your car, is there job. Everyone here has to admit every so often you decide to cut corners at work for some personal reason. I just dont want my car to be that cut corner one day lol

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
All the regular maintenance/mods/repairs will always go through me first. If i dont feel confident in my capabilities then i go to my trusted mechanic.
It just gives me peace of mind knowing EXACTLY what's been done, how it was done, and with that TLC lol Not saying that mechanics dont care but at the end of the day your car, is there job. Everyone here has to admit every so often you decide to cut corners at work for some personal reason. I just dont want my car to be that cut corner one day lol
DITTO ..

Kable's2019Si

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1992 C1500 383
Country flag
I run a small shop and do it myself. As long as the place you go is trustworthy and capable, that's all that matters.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oil changes, filters, etc, myself. Have been doing brakes too on daughters’ cars. But I’ve about had enough outside fluid changes as my free time is becoming more valuable than the money saved.

Anyway, I’ve always gone to the Honda dealer (most all my cars have been Honda’s). I’ll pay more for a Honda tech and Honda parts every day of the week.

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I work at a dealership that includes a Honda so it is very convenient for me to just drop my car off and go to work and pick it up after. Also having employee discount is a life saver on things I want to buy or services. Haven't had major problems I've had to pay for. So far all of the issues with my car have been covered under warranty (A/C compressor and front passenger strut).

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I always take my Si to the dealer. Realizing that I'm dealing with a stealership, you have to speak slowly and verify.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I work at a dealership that includes a Honda so it is very convenient for me to just drop my car off and go to work and pick it up after. Also having employee discount is a life saver on things I want to buy or services. Haven't had major problems I've had to pay for. So far all of the issues with my car have been covered under warranty (A/C compressor and front passenger strut).
What issue did you have with the front passenger strut ?? Is it a common problem or were you just unlucky ?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The driveway is close. I can control the cost of parts. The labor is cheap. The idiot doing the work is motivated to do it right.

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What issue did you have with the front passenger strut ?? Is it a common problem or were you just unlucky ?
I feel like I was unlucky... But that strut had developed a popping noise at low speeds, like over bumps and turning. The parts are on order so I'm waiting for them to let me know when it's here so I can get it installed. I don't think it's a common issue, I haven't really seen any other threads with other members who had the same sound that I had. It had developed early too, but it is louder now. But thank goodness it's going to get replaced soon I hope.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I take it to an independent mechanic shop in San Jose where I have been taking all my cars for the last 11 years. Most honest mechanic I have ever met in my life. Uses only OEM parts, charges me half what the dealers charge. Once my Sienna's brakes were making a squealing noise, I took it to him to change the brakes. He calls me up an hour later and says that the noise is because the last guy who changed them used heavy duty brakes and didn't machine the rotors. I asked him how much brake life was left, he tells at least 6 months. He asks me what I wanted to do, I told him clean everything up, but the brakes back in and I will change them when they are worn. When I get to the shop to pickup my car he I ask him what I owe and he says "nothing, I didn't do anything". I insist that I should at least pay some labor, he won't take my money and keeps saying he didn't do anything. He could have basically changed the brakes without telling me but because he is honest, all his clients love him

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I take it to an independent mechanic shop in San Jose where I have been taking all my cars for the last 11 years. Most honest mechanic I have ever met in my life. Uses only OEM parts, charges me half what the dealers charge. Once my Sienna's brakes were making a squealing noise, I took it to him to change the brakes. He calls me up an hour later and says that the noise is because the last guy who changed them used heavy duty brakes and didn't machine the rotors. I asked him how much brake life was left, he tells at least 6 months. He asks me what I wanted to do, I told him clean everything up, but the brakes back in and I will change them when they are worn. When I get to the shop to pickup my car he I ask him what I owe and he says "nothing, I didn't do anything". I insist that I should at least pay some labor, he won't take my money and keeps saying he didn't do anything. He could have basically changed the brakes without telling me but because he is honest, all his clients love him
A good honest mechanic controlling billing is worth their weight in gold. They exist... but from my experience only at the very small independent level. At that level, they can control both the work and the billing. There are a lot of very good, honest and skilled individuals that work at larger places/service departments... but they get lost in the organization. Folks should really try out the small businesses. There's diamonds out there. Big places range from peat to coal at best.

It's crazy how much people will shop around for goods and even services... then take their automobiles for expensive work at the most expensive places with regard to labor rate with similar to poorer quality of work.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
A good honest mechanic controlling billing is worth their weight in gold. They exist... but from my experience only at the very small independent level. At that level, they can control both the work and the billing. There are a lot of very good, honest and skilled individuals that work at larger places/service departments... but they get lost in the organization. Folks should really try out the small businesses. There's diamonds out there. Big places range from peat to coal at best.

It's crazy how much people will shop around for goods and even services... then take their automobiles for expensive work at the most expensive places with regard to labor rate with similar to poorer quality of work.
Oh yeah, he is worth his weight in gold. He is a 2 man operation, so I have to call him a day in advance to make sure he can take me in. As an example how much cheaper he is than the dealership, When my Sienna was newer (a different Sienna from the previous example) it had 2 years of free oil changes from Toyota, but that only covered routine maintenance. When my brakes needed changing they told my wife $375 for one set of brakes. I told my wife to tell them no, I took it to my mechanic, he charged me $160 which included OEM pads plus rotor rotation.

I've been his customer so long that sometimes he does a job and tells me to pay him next time I come in for maintenance because he is to busy to write up the invoice. That could be 6 to 8 months away. When I come in again I have to remind him to charge me for the last service. One time I asked him what if I die, than I will owe you money. His answer: "It's only money". Great guy. If anyone in the San Jose area is looking for a good shop, just PM me