Where did you get your brakes done?

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gonna plan to do the front brakes myself in a month. Dealer basically pissed me off after that stunt.
I checked my rotor thickness and there's more than half of the life left. could go another 30k miles easy for me.
Sponsored

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s a tip regarding the Autel:

To get around Autel’s in library subscription per vehicle make, which is something like $20 or so annually, I may want to consider purchasing an Autel for each make that you have, as it comes with a lifetime library for the one you pair it with.

I have one for Type R and another for my wife’s Toyota.

I got quoted $700 for just the front brakes from my local Honda dealership, so I went and bought the parts myself (both front and rear rotors and brake pads) and had it come out to about $550 - $600. I went in for half for the Autel with my brother who is a mechanic (he can now use it for other used cars so it is a win/win). I brought everything to their shop and he swapped it out for me after hours. I will have to look into putting the newer two piece rotors and improved pads on the front next time.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Smart move. The brake pads on this car seem to wear much faster than other cars. Seems to last approximately 25k miles depending on how hard it’s driven.

Recommend following the instructions I posted earlier… Perform at own risk, but you should be ok.

Gonna plan to do the front brakes myself in a month. Dealer basically pissed me off after that stunt.
I checked my rotor thickness and there's more than half of the life left. could go another 30k miles easy for me.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
There’s a tip regarding the Autel:

To get around Autel’s in library subscription per vehicle make, which is something like $20 or so annually, I may want to consider purchasing an Autel for each make that you have, as it comes with a lifetime library for the one you pair it with.

I have one for Type R and another for my wife’s Toyota.
I believe the annual fee only applies to the abs and the srs functions. The EPB is a one time fee.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Just a heads up, I did my front pads last week and all was great for 6 days and then I got a really nice squeal going while just rolling. The outer edge of the pad was contacting the lip that had been formed over 11,500 miles on the rotor. I have to pull the pads back off and chamfer the outer edges of the pads so they don't contact the rotor lip anymore.

Being cross drilled, I don't think the rotors can be resurfaced which would typically take care of the issue and eliminate the need for the chamfer.

This is the risk you take when you do a pad slap, so I'd recommend just doing it before you install the pads if they contact the edge. Different brands may fit the rotor slightly differently and yours may not pose a problem at all. The Akebono I installed seemed to be slightly more flush with the outer edge of the rotor than the OEM pads. Good luck!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The annual subscription applies to any additional car manufacturer if wanting to use a single Autel AP200 for multiple vehicles. Example a Honda and Toyota.

The first make is paired free then each subsequent is $20 per year.

To get around that, I have a dedicated Autel for the Honda and another for the Toyota. So no subscription fee.

I believe the annual fee only applies to the abs and the srs functions. The EPB is a one time fee.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a heads up, I did my front pads last week and all was great for 6 days and then I got a really nice squeal going while just rolling. The outer edge of the pad was contacting the lip that had been formed over 11,500 miles on the rotor. I have to pull the pads back off and chamfer the outer edges of the pads so they don't contact the rotor lip anymore.

Being cross drilled, I don't think the rotors can be resurfaced which would typically take care of the issue and eliminate the need for the chamfer.

This is the risk you take when you do a pad slap, so I'd recommend just doing it before you install the pads if they contact the edge. Different brands may fit the rotor slightly differently and yours may not pose a problem at all. The Akebono I installed seemed to be slightly more flush with the outer edge of the rotor than the OEM pads. Good luck!
On my R the Autozone Gold pads are contacting the rotor about 2-3 mm below the wear mark near the outer lip. Caliper checked them and they are well within the wear limit. And, oh so joyful that I no longer have charcoal dust on my wheels after every trip to work....the AZ pads are so clean and they stop just as well.

Proxkiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got r1consept pads for like $70 for all 4, I don’t track the car, they seems just like oem to me I don’t feel any difference, used an ap200 to retract the EPB and caliper tool to spin it the rest of the way and that’s it, it’s simple
Sponsored