Where are the Manuals?

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
That's why I am waiting for mine. None existed on dealer's lots. If there had been a MT in stock, equipped properly, I would already be driving it, not still waiting for it.
In other countries, where people are much better informed about cars, manuals far outsell CVT's.
The reason that's almost all they sell here, is because that's all they build for here. Plus, most people don't know the difference between a CVT and a real automatic!
I am waiting on a LX 6MT coupe to be available locally but it seems i am going to have to order one.

There are a few out there but they are 500+ miles away.Probably going to order one around the first of the year unless one pops up by chance close to me.

There is a saying that if you leave a MT car parked with the keys in, it wont get stolen because most people cant drive one,lol. I am not going to try it though
Sponsored

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
And you do realize that a majority of the driving folks now dont know how to drive a manual transmission nowadays?

That puts a huge factor into those numbers.

Look at these stats- According to emunds.com, only about 7 percent of Americans know how to drive a stick shift
No, that's not a cause but an effect. If along the way there is an ongoing preference for automatics, then of course fewer and fewer are going to know how to deal with MTs. Yet it remains that anyone who wants a MT can just order one as well as learn to drive it. They overwhelmingly don't. Also it's fair to say that most on this forum (dedicated to finding MTs after all) will be MT people, so comments posted here are hardly representative of the general population, where 19 out of 20 don't go with MTs.

Last edited:

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I am waiting on a LX 6MT coupe to be available locally but it seems i am going to have to order one.

There are a few out there but they are 500+ miles away.Probably going to order one around the first of the year unless one pops up by chance close to me.

There is a saying that if you leave a MT car parked with the keys in, it wont get stolen because most people cant drive one,lol. I am not going to try it though
I would frankly prefer the LX's 2.0L N/A engine and MT, but I wanted the big touch screen, CarPlay and moon roof more than I didn't want the turbo...

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
I would frankly prefer the LX's 2.0L N/A engine and MT, but I wanted the big touch screen, CarPlay and moon roof more than I didn't want the turbo...
Same here,i want all those options but not the 1.5 turbo. Looking to get 200K+ miles out of my coupe so i guess i can live without those options.

Might still test drive a EX-T coupe to make a final decision,although im pretty certain the LX will be what i pick.Too bad Honda wont let us load up options on an LX

Carrera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Share a 2015 Rav4
Country flag
Here are some crazy numbers. According to cars.com there are about 18,000 new 2017 Civics for sale in the US. Only about 400 of them are manuals. There are only 80 manual hatches nationwide. There are only 105 EX-T manual sedans. So by my math, way less than 3% of 2017 Civics on dealer lots are manuals.
Funny thing, I did the same search.
Of those 400, ten are in my area, I was surprised.

Last edited:

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
This is one example where I would pay more if Honda did the a la carte thing with the civic. I'd be happy with the base American LX, 2.0 L, 6 spd, and 4 spkr stereo cuz I could switch it out with less fuss ... but it's not part of the Canadian choices. It would also be a fantastic thing to add the upcoming SI single exhaust & maybe the LED headlights. lol, of course that would never happen ... soooo I'll prob. end up with the Canadian Sport on a 3 yr lease and then I'll splurge on the ultimate hatch when it reaches the final year of this generation.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same here,i want all those options but not the 1.5 turbo. Looking to get 200K+ miles out of my coupe so i guess i can live without those options.

Might still test drive a EX-T coupe to make a final decision,although im pretty certain the LX will be what i pick.Too bad Honda wont let us load up options on an LX
The EX-T coupe is what I have ordered, but, depending on what they show us next Tuesday, I could be switching my order to an Si Coupe

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, that's not a cause but an effect. If along the way there is an ongoing preference for automatics, then of course fewer and fewer are going to know how to deal with MTs. Yet it remains that anyone who wants a MT can just order one as well as learn to drive it. They overwhelmingly don't. Also it's fair to say that most on this forum (dedicated to finding MTs after all) will be MT people, so comments posted here are hardly representative of the general population, where 19 out of 20 don't go with MTs.
If it actually had an automatic, I wouldn't be ranting about it. I prefer to do my own shifting thank you very much, but for those who prefer two pedal driving, a REAL automatic would be fine. I just strenuously object to the notion of a snowmobile/mini bike belt driven toy transmission being pawned off on an unsuspecting mechanically ignorant population as a valid choice to drive a car....

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I give the CVT maybe 60,000 miles,more or less. A belt being squeezed and smashed between two pulleys can't possibly last very long. Also, I wouldn't drive up any mountains with it.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
If it actually had an automatic, I wouldn't be ranting about it. I prefer to do my own shifting thank you very much, but for those who prefer two pedal driving, a REAL automatic would be fine. I just strenuously object to the notion of a snowmobile/mini bike belt driven toy transmission being pawned off on an unsuspecting mechanically ignorant population as a valid choice to drive a car....
Well you'd better get used to it, as the superior CVT is very fastly gaining as the predominate automatic. Do you really think people don't realize what they're buying ? Give the "population" more credit !

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I give the CVT maybe 60,000 miles,more or less. A belt being squeezed and smashed between two pulleys can't possibly last very long. Also, I wouldn't drive up any mountains with it.
That is exactly right. But to make matters worse, the belt cannot be changed. A failed belt requires a complete replacement of the sealed CVT unit. Engineering at its very worst.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well you'd better get used to it, as the superior CVT is very fastly gaining as the predominate automatic. Do you really think people don't realize what they're buying ? Give the "population" more credit !
If you think the CVT is superior, I have a superior ski chalet in Florida I'd like to sell you.....

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The Corolla still seems to get good reliability ratings despite having a CVT. Why do you guys think that Honda will fail at it?

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
The Corolla still seems to get good reliability ratings despite having a CVT. Why do you guys think that Honda will fail at it?
They haven't a clue. They're just a bunch who were dumb enough to go with MTs and I guess are having a kind of subconscious buyer's remorse.

Last edited:

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I originally started looking at civics when I decided to trade my truck in. During my initial search for a 2016 manual coupe that turned up nothing....I found out the hatch was on the way. I've held out all this time so far and now that dealerships are starting to get information about what cars they are getting, all I've heard is, no manuals. Seriously!? For the manual option to be a major part of the announcement for the hatchs and other 2017s, I honestly cant believe this. Altoona honda in Pennsylvania had no answers for me about the manual, but they did say they had 3 automatic hatchs on the way. I called dubois honda in Pennsylvania and they told me Honda was allocating 3 automatics to all dealerships and that he didn't know a thing about the manuals, except that there were none on order in the system for the whole state. Can anyone tell me where the manuals are?
Manual is in mexico where he belongs.
Sponsored