When you come to a stop light and the guy behind you comes to close.

ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Why do people need to come so close to the back bumper when I'm at a red light or stop sign? Some people are like a foot away. Please leave at least a half car length.

Maybe this is just a canadian thing I have no clue .

Geez sometimes these people get so close i feel like I need to pull over to see if they put a mark on my bumper.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
(This has saved my bacon at least 3 times.) Only you can control the consequences - leave the 10' cushion in front of you so YOU can move or change lanes when they get rear-ended. PS - This only applies if you're paying attention and watching your rear view mirror when stopped.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
In Rome it's best to keep your eyes closed - there're more MC/scooters than (dwarf) cars and any open spot is fair game! And, I was driving!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Questions: Why do people people drive like shit? Why are they inconsiderate?

Answer: Because they don't care about you or your car.

Last edited:

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
One of the many reason why we need better driver education across most of this world. Just because you can buy a motor vehicle does not mean you are capable to drive it without causing issues.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think most first world countries do that bad, they are actually doing pretty good. I think Sweden is one of the best countries when it comes the amount of deadly accidents per year. I think the amount of fatal accidents is close to zero.

To get a driving licence were I live, it takes 8 hours in first aight class, plus 24 hours of theory education, plus a minimum of 12 hours of driving training. The hours of driving with your teacher are a lot more, if you can't control the vehicle and have problems respecting all the traffic rules. After that there are two tests, one on theory and the other is a driving test, which is very easy to fail. After that you have to take some more driving lessons and do the test again (it can be done three times). And under normal circumstances all that can only be done with a manual transmission.
Costs are between € 1,800 and € 3,000 € (approximately $ 2,000 to $ 3,600 (us dollar)). Still we have a lot of bad drivers. Including myself, because mistakes are human nature.

Personally I would consider drunk, speeding and distracted drivers to be the bad drivers, not the ones who're leaving less than half a car length distance to the next bumper in a stop and go traffic situation.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Why do people need to come so close to the back bumper when I'm at a red light or stop sign? Some people are like a foot away. Please leave at least a half car length.

Maybe this is just a canadian thing I have no clue .

Geez sometimes these people get so close i feel like I need to pull over to see if they put a mark on my bumper.
Are you one of those guys who stop about 2 car lengths back at the stop light, then creep up 6" ( about 15 cm for my Canadian friends ) at a time for the next minute? Those guys usually get folks to ride right up on their bumper.

OP
OP
ricklndn

ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Are you one of those guys who stop about 2 car lengths back at the stop light, then creep up 6" ( about 15 cm for my Canadian friends ) at a time for the next minute? Those guys usually get folks to ride right up on their bumper.
No

Last edited:

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
You're right. They teach us in Canadian driving school to leave enough space to see the other car's rear tires. The way some people stop, I doubt they can even see my bumper lol.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Questions: Why do people people drive like shit? Why are they inconsiderate?

Answer: Because they don't care about you or your car.
I agree ... but I only think you are HALF right.

What's the other half, you ask?

They also don't care about their car, and/or they are depending on their technology to save them.
If people would drive like their cars didn't have air bags, ABS, stability control, etc. ... there would be a LOT fewer accidents.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
It's very difficult to pull 1 foot behind someone in traffic so what you think is 1 foot is actually at least 3 feet. So no worries! :cool:

mr.2018_SI

First Name
Didier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
You're right. They teach us in Canadian driving school to leave enough space to see the other car's rear tires. The way some people stop, I doubt they can even see my bumper lol.
This is how I was taught too in Maryland when I started driving in 1991.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Maybe this is just a canadian thing I have no clue
Living and driving in NY I thought it was a NY thing now living and driving in SW Florida it’s the same thing . I’ve seen a few feet apart on I75 and their traveling over 70mph! people don’t care and they complain that car insurance is high gee I wonder why. They could avoid getting into accidents if they drive normal ( that’s never going to happen) yeah I know what you mean I’ll be sitting at a traffic light and look in my rear view mirror and the driver in the car behind me looks like their sitting in the back seat
Sponsored