1.5T When to tune? Also Dyno Tune vs Hondata/Ktuner?

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
Hi guys,

I was just curious if I should be looking at a tune based on my current situation.

As for performance, I have only done two mods:

- Intake (Mishimoto cold air intake)
- Exhaust (Invidia R400)

I do notice better low/mid torque with these mods but I feel like there's room for improvement with a tune.

Is there anything else I should consider before going for a tune?

I'm heavily considering purchasing the frontpipe/downpipe from PRL but from what I've heard, a tune is necessary almost immediately after installation.

Also on the subject of tunes, should I dyno tune or hondata/ktuner tune?
And on the subject of Hondata/Ktuner, which would be a better option?

My car (in Australia) is a 2017 Honda Civic RS (1.5L Turbo) Hatchback.
Currently I don't have any plans or intentions to track the car, it is more for street at this time.

Thanks
Sponsored

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
Hi guys,

I was just curious if I should be looking at a tune based on my current situation.

As for performance, I have only done two mods:

- Intake (Mishimoto cold air intake)
- Exhaust (Invidia R400)

I do notice better low/mid torque with these mods but I feel like there's room for improvement with a tune.

Is there anything else I should consider before going for a tune?

I'm heavily considering purchasing the frontpipe/downpipe from PRL but from what I've heard, a tune is necessary almost immediately after installation.

Also on the subject of tunes, should I dyno tune or hondata/ktuner tune?
And on the subject of Hondata/Ktuner, which would be a better option?

My car (in Australia) is a 2017 Honda Civic RS (1.5L Turbo) Hatchback.
Currently I don't have any plans or intentions to track the car, it is more for street at this time.

Thanks
I've been super happy with my KTuner. I ordered it from TSP and have been running their tune since day one and the difference in performance is huge. I researched the pros/cons and while Hondata seemed good, KTuner seemed a bit better and also a little cheaper.

OP
OP

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
I've been super happy with my KTuner. I ordered it from TSP and have been running their tune since day one and the difference in performance is huge. I researched the pros/cons and while Hondata seemed good, KTuner seemed a bit better and also a little cheaper.
Thanks for the input!

Does KTuner have a specific Ktuner product for specific models of Civics?
I remember when I was considering Hondata, I had to enter my ECU number to confirm compatibility etc.

I'm looking at this Ktuner from Australia, does this sound right?

Cheers from down under

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
Thanks for the input!

Does KTuner have a specific Ktuner product for specific models of Civics?
I remember when I was considering Hondata, I had to enter my ECU number to confirm compatibility etc.

I'm looking at this Ktuner from Australia, does this sound right?

Cheers from down under
Yeah but I bought the cheaper 1.2 version; I didn't want the screen and all that. I use the Tunerview app on my phone instead if I want to view the gauges or data log. They'll ask for your ECU serial number when you order.

Reactions: Zyr

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
Good to see another Aussie civic tuned! Ktuner will not disappoint!
Your next step is intercooler + TSP stage 1 if your ECU is supported.

OP
OP

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
Good to see another Aussie civic tuned! Ktuner will not disappoint!
Your next step is intercooler + TSP stage 1 if your ECU is supported.
Sold on the Ktuner!

I actually heard about the TSP Stage 1 Tune recently after watching this video

How does the purchasing go exactly? Do I provide ECU and they give me some sort of digital download? Or is it physical goods?

I'm very new to tuning and this would be the ideal end-game. I will definitely need to do things like frontpipe/downpipe, intercooler and possibly upgrade the engine mounts first

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
Sold on the Ktuner!

How does the purchasing go exactly? Do I provide ECU and they give me some sort of digital download? Or is it physical goods?

I'm very new to tuning and this would be the ideal end-game. I will definitely need to do things like frontpipe/downpipe, intercooler and possibly upgrade the engine mounts first
go to TSP website and look for non-si TSP stage 1 tune. Look at ECU list to see if your is supported. This list is constantly being updated and if you don't see your ECU then check later. When it first came out my ECU wasn't supported. It wasn't until 1 year later I happened to check and my ECU was on the list!

It is an online purchase for the Ktuner file only. When you buy the tune - you need to supply your ECU and Ktuner serial number (the website tells you how). After the purchase you get emailed the Ktuner file which you can then upload via your Ktuner.

I would say intercooler is way more important than front/down pipe. You will be pushing much higher boost once you get Ktuner and stock intercooler can't keep up. you will notice more torque and power with intercooler definitely

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Sold on the Ktuner!

@leeti1284 already did a good job of explaining things above but please let us know if you have any other questions.

Please note that that aside from the KTuner unit itself, no other supporting mods are required. The TSP Stage 1 tunes were designed with the factory intake, clutch/CVT, downpipe, intercooler, etc. The tune can be used with those upgrades if you decide to use them and they will enhance your experience, but they are not required. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
@leeti1284 already did a good job of explaining things above but please let us know if you have any other questions.

Please note that that aside from the KTuner unit itself, no other supporting mods are required. The TSP Stage 1 tunes were designed with the factory intake, clutch/CVT, downpipe, intercooler, etc. The tune can be used with those upgrades if you decide to use them and they will enhance your experience, but they are not required. :thumbsup:
That's great to hear, I have already enquired on the website and provided my ECU number and they've advised which software version for me to purchase.

In Australia we have 91, 95 and 98. What would be your strong recommendation for fuel type after this tune?

Also does the TSP tune have any effect on cold start / warm start / idle / accerlation sound levels?

After installing the Invidia R400 exhaust (which is the louder brother of the Q300) I was a bit disappointed in how quiet it turned out to be.

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
That's great to hear, I have already enquired on the website and provided my ECU number and they've advised which software version for me to purchase.

In Australia we have 91, 95 and 98. What would be your strong recommendation for fuel type after this tune?

Also does the TSP tune have any effect on cold start / warm start / idle / accerlation sound levels?

After installing the Invidia R400 exhaust (which is the louder brother of the Q300) I was a bit disappointed in how quiet it turned out to be.
Go for 98 all the time. You want the best fuel available as you are now pushing much higher boost levels than stock.

There is probably some slight change of engine sound during acceleration. The rest I would expect the same.

OP
OP

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
Go for 98 all the time. You want the best fuel available as you are now pushing much higher boost levels than stock.

There is probably some slight change of engine sound during acceleration. The rest I would expect the same.
That makes sense, thanks again for the help! It's easier to understand when an explanation is given.

I've decided I'm going to get the ktuner + tune and then intercooler right after

Looking forward to all of it!

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag

@leeti1284 is right again, you want to go with the best available fuel.

The tune will not really change sound other than it likely being amplified a bit at wide open throttle due to higher output.

• Love
OP
OP

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
@leeti1284 is right again, you want to go with the best available fuel.

The tune will not really change sound other than it likely being amplified a bit at wide open throttle due to higher output.
I've made the purchase as of yesterday, I got the v1.2 since v2 is out of stock

Since then, I have been watching more videos on the Ktuner and came across one where they show how you can adjust the tune for burble/crackle

Would something like this be achieveable alongside the TSP tune?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen When to tune? Also Dyno Tune vs Hondata/Ktuner? Photograph_of_Mrs._Reagan_speaking_at_a__Just_Say_No__Rally_in_Los_Angeles_-_NARA_-_198584

To pop bang crackle tunes.

If you desperately need one, here's a link to a crackle tune from the very respected Derek Robinson. He's the guy that actually created the TSP Stage 1 tune.

https://www.imwtuned.com/store/p17/Ricer.html

By the way, do you really think this sounds good?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Zyr

First Name
Zyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS 2017
Country flag
Photograph_of_Mrs._Reagan_speaking_at_a__Just_Say_No__Rally_in_Los_Angeles_-_NARA_-_198584.jpg

To pop bang crackle tunes.

If you desperately need one, here's a link to a crackle tune from the very respected Derek Robinson. He's the guy that actually created the TSP Stage 1 tune.

https://www.imwtuned.com/store/p17/Ricer.html

By the way, do you really think this sounds good?

A powerful motivational photo :)

I wasn't aware of the damage that came with a crackle tune, I am defienitely the type to stay from anything that potentially harms the engine.

Of course, if there was a safe solution to this, I would be a little intrigued.
I was more interested in giving my car's sound a bit more personality.

I don't think the sound is entirely awful, only when it's like super consistent
If crackle is unavoidable at low rpms then I will definitely stay away, it would be more of just a party trick that I can do at the higher rpms

Thanks for the video!