When to do maintenance for a used car

LeakGas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018
Country flag
Normally the computer should tell when to do what maintenance. However, I do not quite underatand how that works. For example, when we changed oil, does the computer automatically reset itself? Or do we need to reset it by ourselves? I mean, if we can reset it ourselves instead of doing it automatically, then basically for a used car, the computer actually tells nothing. Because no matter if the used car dealer had done the maintenance or not, they can always reset the reminder so that the customers would not see the actual status of maintenance.
I am asking this because I have a used 2018 cvt civic. I bought it with 28000 miles, and right now it has around 35000 miles. I heard that transmission fluid should be changed every 30000 miles, but I still have not had that reminder yet. It made me wonder maybe the dealer had resetted the reminder before they sold it to me, even though they did not changed the fluid really.
Should I change the fluid now? Or wait till it has the reminder? Thanks guys!
Sponsored

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
You reset the maintenance minder yourself. Your car will light up the transmission service when it's ready to, which can be up to 45,000 miles depending upon driving conditions calculated by the computer. I have had my car since day one, I'm at 33,000+ and still no trans service light.

Basic inspection of fluids can tell you a lot if you know what to look for. With that few miles and given that the car is only 4 or so years old, there should not be much in the way of maintenance that needs to be done other than oil, air filters, tire rotation and basic inspection of hoses, wiper blades and such.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At 35k you don’t have too much to worry about since the car is only 4 years old.
My car gave the transmission service notice at right on 50,000 miles.
I had already had it changed “early” at 30,000 and it will get done every 30k thereafter.
Fluids are pretty inexpensive compared to major component failure & replacement, so I don’t sweat the expense.
Deferred maintenance is typically more of a worry on 10-15 year old used vehicles that have minimal or no service history.

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
google ;

How often should Honda CVT fluid be changed?

every 30,000 to 60,000 miles

Since fluids break down over time, it's important to change your transmission fluid every 30,000 to 60,000 miles.

On a used car with no driving history, I will change every fluid sonner than later. To sleep well.
Sponsored