Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
In many communities that we deal with, it isn't uncommon for someone to change their spark plugs every 10 to 15 thousand miles when you are running a modified boosted direct injection vehicle. These spark plugs see very high cylinder temps making it easy for them to get out of spec, lose their gap, or just wear quickly in general. If your car is modified and tuned, it can sometimes be typical practice to check your spark plug gap every single oil change to verify everything is still good.

If you are stock please disregard most of what we said, lol.
Sponsored

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
Just be aware, ifyour engine blows you're going to be looking at paying for a new engine. They can see if you've redlined it and that is grounds for denial of warranty. Already had one guy who had this happen because he misshifted.
I've misshifted several times already. Honestly, I'm trying to see how long this engine will last under three EXTREME driving habits. I drove the same way with my last car, but Toyota's 2.4 liter engine was indescribable. Even slapped a turbo on it with no tune, and it was good to go. Made choo choo sounds and had a little extra torque.

There was a story on the internet a long time ago about who DIY'ed his spark plugs and decided adding loc-tite to the plug threads was a good idea lol
OMG. ... WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!

In many communities that we deal with, it isn't uncommon for someone to change their spark plugs every 10 to 15 thousand miles when you are running a modified boosted direct injection vehicle. These spark plugs see very high cylinder temps making it easy for them to get out of spec, lose their gap, or just wear quickly in general. If your car is modified and tuned, it can sometimes be typical practice to check your spark plug gap every single oil change to verify everything is still good.

If you are stock please disregard most of what we said, lol.
I'm beginning to see that Turbo applications under extreme driving habits require spark plug maintenance more often. I've got a +9 hondata flash. ...probably a horrible idea, but so much better than stock. ... But i can't find these plugs in stock any where!!!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There was a story on the internet a long time ago about who DIY'ed his spark plugs and decided adding loc-tite to the plug threads was a good idea lol
I've heard that story before. I'd call that a Greek tragedy. I'm not sure it's true... but thats so awful, I think if I had done it, I'd never, ever admit to it. That's a mistake I'd just take to the grave.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard that story before. I'd call that a Greek tragedy. I'm not sure it's true... but thats so awful, I think if I had done it, I'd never, ever admit to it. That's a mistake I'd just take to the grave.
Not surprised, it seems everyone feels the need to post everything about their lives.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Omg,I'm not that stupid, but I've been told to use anti seize and told not to use it on the plugs, I haven't so far,anyone care to comment on it?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I've misshifted several times already. Honestly, I'm trying to see how long this engine will last under three EXTREME driving habits. I drove the same way with my last car, but Toyota's 2.4 liter engine was indescribable. Even slapped a turbo on it with no tune, and it was good to go. Made choo choo sounds and had a little extra torque.
Someone did a 3rd to 2nd , his bearings took a dump a few weeks later. Honda declined for a warranty since they saw the internal logs.

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
Omg,I'm not that stupid, but I've been told to use anti seize and told not to use it on the plugs, I haven't so far,anyone care to comment on it?
Do NOT use anti seize with spark plugs on modern engines with aluminum cylinder heads.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I used to have an Alero and I changed the plugs on it 3 or 4 times. The first time the old plugs didn't want to come loose so I wrapped teflon tape around the threads on the new plugs and it worked perfectly. 50K miles later they came right out. I traded in the Alero for my new civic. The civic is light years better than the olds.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to have an Alero and I changed the plugs on it 3 or 4 times. The first time the old plugs didn't want to come loose so I wrapped teflon tape around the threads on the new plugs and it worked perfectly. 50K miles later they came right out. I traded in the Alero for my new civic. The civic is light years better than the olds.
One thing for those Aleros (spoken 'nicer Grand Prix') had going for then was longevity. I've seen a lot of examples over 200k miles on the road. If you changed your plugs 3-4 times in it... you got your money's worth out of it. Never used Teflon before... and I'd be afraid mostly that pieces would fall through the plug holes changing them among other things. Even more, though I know it's getting shredded the tape should act like an insulator. Ive probably used a pound for plumbing things. Still glad it worked out well. Might give anti-seize a try. A little tube will last one hundred billon plug changes. It'd be less aggravating trying to unspool that crap and get it in the threads. No bits left in the heads threads to fall in and maybe get to a valve/valve seat. Not to say it didn't work and work well.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
One thing for those Aleros (spoken 'nicer Grand Prix') had going for then was longevity. I've seen a lot of examples over 200k miles on the road. If you changed your plugs 3-4 times in it... you got your money's worth out of it. Never used Teflon before... and I'd be afraid mostly that pieces would fall through the plug holes changing them among other things. Even more, though I know it's getting shredded the tape should act like an insulator. Ive probably used a pound for plumbing things. Still glad it worked out well. Might give anti-seize a try. A little tube will last one hundred billon plug changes. It'd be less aggravating trying to unspool that crap and get it in the threads. No bits left in the heads threads to fall in and maybe get to a valve/valve seat. Not to say it didn't work and work well.
yea the Aleros ran forever. Only problem was mine started to rust real bad. along the bottom on both sides. Finally I was faced with a decision, either spend a thousand to get the rust fixed or buy a new car. I really liked the new civic so I bought a coupe with a six speed stick. Sold the Alero on craigslist for a thousand. I probably could have gotten more if I had gotten the rust fixed. But you only live once, and I wanted a BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!!

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
yea the Aleros ran forever. Only problem was mine started to rust real bad. along the bottom on both sides. Finally I was faced with a decision, either spend a thousand to get the rust fixed or buy a new car. I really liked the new civic so I bought a coupe with a six speed stick. Sold the Alero on craigslist for a thousand. I probably could have gotten more if I had gotten the rust fixed. But you only live once, and I wanted a BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!!
HEY !!! I got the coupe 6-speed, too !!!
Sponsored