When starting your car

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
Every vehicle, always. It's been mindless habit for as long as i can remember.

Renbismarck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-l
Country flag
For clarification please, for starting using the push start button .. Break + push button.. do we really need to release(depress) break?

I noticed in my civic, If I will not release the break.. it will not start..

OP
OP

xnjjgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
I have an automatic car, I guess that's why there's so much confusion.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
For clarification please, for starting using the push start button .. Break + push button.. do we really need to release(depress) break?

I noticed in my civic, If I will not release the break.. it will not start..
If you have an automatic and your seatbelt is fastened, after you start the car (Brake + Button), you just put the car in D, S, or R and step on the gas -- the parking brake will release automatically.

Renbismarck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-l
Country flag
If you have an automatic and your seatbelt is fastened, after you start the car (Brake + Button), you just put the car in D, S, or R and step on the gas -- the parking brake will release automatically.
hi DjinTonic, thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, do we really need to release the break while starting (just after pressing the button) or it should start while Stepping on the break. my civic is automatic.

THANKS!!!

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hi DjinTonic, thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, do we really need to release the break while starting (just after pressing the button) or it should start while Stepping on the break. my civic is automatic.

THANKS!!!
I'll have to check when I leave work to go home, but I'm pretty sure the motor starts while you have the foot brake depressed and press the button. However, if you want the car to move, you'll have to take your foot off the brake at some point. :cool: Or is there something I'm missing? If you don't have the foot brake depressed, pressing the button will cycle through the accessory modes without starting the engine.

So my action when backing out of the garage are (1) Fasten seatbelt and depress foot brake; (2) Press and release Start button (engine starts); (3) Put car in R and check if clear behind; (4) Release foot brake; (5) Press gas (parking brake goes off automatically) and car moves.

Speaking for myself I never take my foot off the brake until I'm in a driving gear and ready to move the car. With my '96 Civic I would always engage my parking brake when leaving the car (even on level surfaces) so it became a habit, for the fear of not doing so on an incline. To be honest, I don't know why the new Civic doesn't do away with the manual electronic parking brake and just have it engage automatically whenever you put the car in Park (or at least have a setting to do this).

Last edited:

Renbismarck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-l
Country flag
I am all good with moving the car :)

Just curious during startup. Currently I am depressing the break right after pushing the button to start up the engine. Engine won't start up if I keep my foot press in the break after the button.

Newbie here..

Keep me posted..Thank you very much!

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wouldn't press the button first. Press the brake down then press and release the button keeping your foot on the brake. Your order has 2 issues: (1) if you your timing is off you might release the button before the brake is depressed sufficiently and the engine won't start; and (2) you always want to keep the car stopped with the foot brake engaged before doing anything that could potentially make or let the car move. Releasing the foot brake and pressing the gas should, IMO, always be the last things you do.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't start mine anymore. Broke my break.