when should i change the oil?

aj000712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
OK so first a little bit of info.
  1. I drive 24 miles a day (12 miles to work and 12 miles home)
  2. i have had my civic for around 4 months and only have 21xx miles on it
  3. it gets a 150-200 mile round trip every other month
  4. its prettier than yours... deal with it.
  5. this will be the first oil change
  6. oil life is currently at 80%
so based on that what would the collective minds recommend?

I just don't really know what the recommended first oil change is for someone who doesn't put a lot of miles on a car.

thanks
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I'd change it at your 6 month mark regardless of mileage. Lots of moisture in Florida.. that's just me though. I changed my original oil at 30%, MM means that's oil life, (maintenance minder)

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I would change it when the maintenance minder hits 10%. I mean you can go every 3000 miles like your Grandpa did but you'd be wasting money.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I would change it when the maintenance minder hits 10%. I mean you can go every 3000 miles like your Grandpa did but you'd be wasting money.
MM.. For the first oil change.. Make sure the moly gets to work itself in.. After thatil be doing every 5-6k miles to 1yr wichever comes first.. Not working currently and hopefully i get a local job instead of driving hundreds of miles like my last job.. Thats why i dont k ow wich one..

I do however suggest checking the oil lvl via dipstick every couple of months.. Past honda wouldnt show low oil until there was essentially no oil in the car and my last few accords and civic liked to slowly eat the oil..

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen when should i change the oil? Untitled

For reference...

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
MM.. For the first oil change.. Make sure the moly gets to work itself in.. After thatil be doing every 5-6k miles to 1yr wichever comes first.. Not working currently and hopefully i get a local job instead of driving hundreds of miles like my last job.. Thats why i dont k ow wich one..

I do however suggest checking the oil lvl via dipstick every couple of months.. Past honda wouldnt show low oil until there was essentially no oil in the car and my last few accords and civic liked to slowly eat the oil..
Totally agree. I was uneasy about the large oil change intervals, so I'd check the dipstick every now and then for oil level, as well as to make sure it didn't look like tar. Lots of opposing opinions on this though. But I'll stick with the manufacturers recommendation.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Totally agree. I was uneasy about the large oil change intervals, so I'd check the dipstick every now and then for oil level, as well as to make sure it didn't look like tar. Lots of opposing opinions on this though. But I'll stick with the manufacturers recommendation.
Oh i check mine monthly.. Older hondas liked to eat oil.. Not as bad as bmw tho.. The bmw manual leggit said "it is normal to need to add a quart of oil every 700 miles"
Sponsored