wheels

OP

Green82

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are a million billion threads on this and an entire subforum.

Your topic is not novel or interesting.
then don't reply

Advertisement

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Type R "EvilR" 1992 SI Turbo K20a2 1996 RHD ITR J Swap 2017 Civic LX Hatch
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bought my 57CR's from Jspec Performance
18x9.5 +38 5x120

20200215_144148.jpg

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
then don't reply
While Ducky's comment was less than helpful, make sure you visit the Wheels/Tires sub-forum. Its FULL of great information from other users who have tried all combinations of wheels and tires.

PEPSIFLAME

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
those of you that downsized to 18" wheels were did you buy them and what was the exact bolt pattern?
what offset did you choose that cleared the big brakes?

was there any brands you avoided like the plague
Have you checked Tire Rack or Fitment Industries? Using those 2 sites, all your questions can be answered in a few clicks.

OP

Green82

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you checked Tire Rack or Fitment Industries? Using those 2 sites, all your questions can be answered in a few clicks.
yes but did not like any of the wheels tire rack offers

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Fitment Industries has a bigger selection than TireRack.
You can also switch to 19” wheels and get more tire choices with the 35 aspect ratio. 255/35ZR19 turns out to have zero speedo error. And you can get all-seasons in 35, which was my primary motivation. I’m not willing to keep replacing these high-performance summer tires every 10,000.

J o n

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R || 2016 CR-V EX-L || 2015 Camaro Z/28
Country flag
yes but did not like any of the wheels tire rack offers
TireRack is very conservative with their offering per their listings based on their vehicle fitment recommendation. I've ordered wheels from them on various vehicles... always need to call and go through specs I want with them over the phone. Which is fine to do. Great people. They'll get you want you want and correct associated hardware to mount everything up.

That being said, I recently attempted to source a full wheel/tire package through TireRack. Talked to a salesman and ordered everything, 2.14.20, said 1 week wait due to wheels needing to be acquired from Enkei. 1 week goes by, I check the status online... 3.14.20 is the estimate. I called and discussed options, but just ended up getting lugs and hub centric rings through them. Great guys to deal with at Tire Rack and they can only communicate the information in front of them, so no fault to them. However, by talking with some others more familiar with TireRack structure, they way they procure orders is only in bulk. So they weren't only going to get (4) wheels from Enkei for me, a full shipment was required.

I ended up sourcing the wheels via Vivid Racing, which was a great new experience. Definitely recommend them.

Better yet, even paying $120 for my own mounting/balancing/valve stems (preferred anyways). Everything came out to be ~$20 cheaper than TireRack's package. Discount Tire had an $80 instant rebate and Vivid beat TireRack's wheel pricing. The lugs and centric rings were only $33 from TireRack

Installed:
-Enkei TS-V 18x9.5 +40 Storm Grey wheels
-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/18 tires

6hqGHY2.jpg

KgnDJq0.jpg

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You can also switch to 19” wheels and get more tire choices with the 35 aspect ratio. 255/35ZR19 turns out to have zero speedo error. And you can get all-seasons in 35, which was my primary motivation. I’m not willing to keep replacing these high-performance summer tires every 10,000.
That is also very true, though a 0.4% error (<½%) is marginal at best keep in mind that 245/40/18 tires tend to cost considerably less than 245/35/19. But I feel like the 19” would have less body roll and negative effects on steering and handling.

-JP-

First Name
JP
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
What do people do with the originals? Sell them? Who buys them if no one likes the OEM wheels?
I track my 18's and street the OEM wheels. I like them.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06
Country flag
Unlike "Ducky" I do find this thread useful and interesting. Wading through 166 pages of wheel fitment guide takes a long time and what the OP is looking for seems to be what NOT to buy.

Personally I would like to hear about the best 18 X 9.5 rim with a 45mm offset and a 265/35 tire

ian408

First Name
Ian
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Personally I would like to hear about the best 18 X 9.5 rim with a 45mm offset and a 265/35 tire
It's all subjective. I posted what I liked-the Titan7 R10. Right now, it has Nexen's on it. Who knows tomorrow?

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That is also very true, though a 0.4% error (<½%) is marginal at best keep in mind that 245/40/18 tires tend to cost considerably less than 245/35/19. But I feel like the 19” would have less body roll and negative effects on steering and handling.
I have 255/35ZR19 which at least as measured from behind the wheel is no speedo error. A weird thing when pricing the tires was the 255 was cheaper than the 245 by $20 (Continental DWS06). Go figure...

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06
Country flag
Personally I would like 18 x 9.5 with a 45 mm or so offset. The lower offset will put the outer edge of the wheel out by 15 mm from stock but the added width will put the inside edge 12.5 mm more towards the strut. Should balance out and not influence scrub radius too much if the tire is a bit shorter than OEM like the Hankook RS4.

OTOH, the outside edge of the rim will be out by 15 +12.5 mm or over an inch. Question is , does this rub the fender? Would it still rub with neg 1.5 or 2 degrees camber?

Frankly for track wheels, I don't care much what they look like.

J o n

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R || 2016 CR-V EX-L || 2015 Camaro Z/28
Country flag
Personally I would like 18 x 9.5 with a 45 mm or so offset. The lower offset will put the outer edge of the wheel out by 15 mm from stock but the added width will put the inside edge 12.5 mm more towards the strut. Should balance out and not influence scrub radius too much if the tire is a bit shorter than OEM like the Hankook RS4.

OTOH, the outside edge of the rim will be out by 15 +12.5 mm or over an inch. Question is , does this rub the fender? Would it still rub with neg 1.5 or 2 degrees camber?

Frankly for track wheels, I don't care much what they look like.
You can use this tool to compare OEM specs with your desired wheel/tire specs

Even a 265/35/18 with a +45 offset is further away from the strut than OEM specs

275/35/18 +45 would put it the same distance from strut

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp