doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
Hello all, new to the car scene and craze. A fortunate new owner of Type R. As of now all the reading and research have my head boiling over :D It was tough to come up with a decision on which car to buy with so many options, then once the decision became clear , to find one and to find one at reasonable price was hard. And finally the search for a good set of wheels.

Been reading all the other threads and so far the idea i am kind of coming up with or sticking to is,

1. 18 or 19 inch wheels to have a better side wall buffer for protection and ride quality.
  2. Keep width some where in 8.5 / 9 .5 ish to accommodate 245 to 265 region tires
  3. And the main concern was finding an offset as close to OEM as possible due to the torque steer thingy
Correct me if i am wrong, i have a feeling, honda went with 20 inch wheels despite the additional cost and increased risk of damage not for the aesthetics but to get this offset and to have the wheel center aligned with geometry of the axle steering what ever fancy thingy that i dont completely understand. So ideally to get the max benefit of their immense research would be to use similar set up but having 20s and rubber band tires just doesnt make any sense.

so to make this huge wall of text into one sentence. So far the offset i found closest was 50, has any one found any option closer to 60. Or a combination of wheel diameter/ width / offset that kind of puts the center line close to OEM.

i read many owners who went with different offset vouch for no TqSteer at all etc. More than likley this is the case and i will end up getting the wheel with closest ratio possible. But just wanted to double check to see if some one found a magic bullet of smaller wheel diameter/ brembo clearance and close to oem offset
Sponsored

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
You already said it yourself multiple times in your post: there are multiple owner encounters that state that running aggressive offsets do not worsen torque steer. Also, a good amount of these aggressive offset owners track their cars with no problems. Therefore, you wouldn't be running stock offset for performance. It's especially not for the looks. But it's your car, so do you. TireRack is a good place to start and has some good options.

OP
OP

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You already said it yourself multiple times in your post: there are multiple owner encounters that state that running aggressive offsets do not worsen torque steer. Also, a good amount of these aggressive offset owners track their cars with no problems. Therefore, you wouldn't be running stock offset for performance. It's especially not for the looks. But it's your car, so do you. TireRack is a good place to start and has some good options.
Yea, I guess most economical / safe set up is that. in fact I am also trying to jump into the vmr band wagon like you guys posted up. Like those set up very much. They are comfortable with UpTo 45 offset since they fitted one of our guys here before.

Is there any tram lining while going with wide tires like 275? iirc u went with a wide set up right @youCTR ?

OP
OP

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This might be a ridiculously wrong presumption, but I was thinking if 8.5 inch stock with 60 offset tires and a 9.5 inch wide with around 48 offset might have the center line of wheel pretty much in the same line after mounting right?

All this thinking is so hard , I guess better than cabin fever. And this is why it's called a Loco-motive :crazy:

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This might be a ridiculously wrong presumption, but I was thinking if 8.5 inch stock with 60 offset tires and a 9.5 inch wide with around 48 offset might have the center line of wheel pretty much in the same line after mounting right?

All this thinking is so hard , I guess better than cabin fever. And this is why it's called a Loco-motive :crazy:
Nope, because offset is calculated from the center line, so it won't change with width, you are just changing distance to suspension and fender. You can have a play with this:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-18X8.5ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

If you had a 9.5" with ET60 you may get too close to the suspension components, and that's why you need to go to a lower offset (it's all a compromise!)

Last edited:

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

This is my favourite setup so far:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/civic-type-r-after-market-wheel-guide.13994/page-8#post-277066

OP
OP

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Vortexhunter oh yea, now I get it. Thx staying close to 60 and 8.5 seems ideal

I doodled a quick pic just in case others noobs like me are understanding it wrong, heck even this pic might be wrong. I just rounded out numbers to closest mm and inner edge as an imaginary line close to suspension components
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels with offset closest to 60 C482103B-0FCF-430C-A791-9F35AB47C2BB

then again, if its not rubbing the suspension parts i guess its okay since the wheel got as close to the suspension and still the distance was only minimally changed by 10mm and still with very small scrub radius

Last edited:

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Vortexhunter oh yea, now I get it. Thx staying close to 60 and 8.5 seems ideal
Not necessarily, it could be that a wider wheel with a marginally smaller offset will be a better bet. I would recommend waiting until spring/summer, so more people will start driving/tracking them hard and we get more impressions.

I find all of this really hard to understand, Honda supposedly made "the ultimate track weapon blablabla best offset, no torque-steer", but people are noticing that the wheel/tire combo is not the best. Why didn't they go with a wider 18" or 19" instead of the rubber bands we have? Are they just doing it cuz big wheels, yo!? Because if they suck on the track and they suck for DD then they just suck!

In the end I decided that I am keeping the stock wheels for the time being, and see if I get enough info in the future to buy something else. But I really think that the car can benefit from 255-265 tires and a wider wheel.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
I'm interested if and when Honda TRUTHFULLY reveals why they went w/ 20" There's also marketing, contracts, bureaucracy..etc. Honda "could" have a thing w/ 20" Continental tires..who knows? ha!
In the grand scheme of things, I don't believe a lot of us will notice if we went more negative offset than stock. How many cars have we all driven that has almost zero scrub radius and w/ a dual axis strut front suspension? We all drove those cars fine w/out any complaints. :thumbsup: How about lowering a car changes roll center? I doubt anyone actually raises their car because their roll center was off .25" inches. We probably won't feel lots of these things. This translates to why going +35, +45 instead of +60 isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure it is a big deal on paper or if you get super technical or a pro driver. But, most avg joes wouldn't even notice it.
I consider myself an avg joe. I probably wouldn't notice these things myself and plus, my butt dyno sux. I couldn't tell you if I gained 10hp. maybe 20hp, but def 50-100hp..lol.
Advan, Work, SSR all have wheels a bit closer to +60. I would like to stay closer to +60, but seems like its getting more costly.
Finally, for the those technical people, i'm not saying going w/ a lower offset is fine, but we have to factor in many variables in our lives. For example, the rubber band tires aren't exactly convenient, so we may have to compromise for a different size that may not be recommended by Honda, but more daily drive-able.

inquisitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 03 Corolla
I would very much like an 18" or 19" wheel with a 8.5" width to stay close to stock. I am an average joe, but I still plant to track the car and hence I want the best long term solution. The main appeal of this vehicle is its ability to act as a DD and a track car.

There's a reason Honda went with a +60 offset. It would feel really bad to spend money on a smaller offset only to be later disappointed or have to spend for another set of wheels.

The NSX wheels are a good option, but pretty damn pricey at 19 inch. Not sure if they give enough sidewall for pot hole covered roads. They are the most attractive of the bunch though!

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
I would very much like an 18" or 19" wheel with a 8.5" width to stay close to stock. I am an average joe, but I still plant to track the car and hence I want the best long term solution. The main appeal of this vehicle is its ability to act as a DD and a track car.

There's a reason Honda went with a +60 offset. It would feel really bad to spend money on a smaller offset only to be later disappointed or have to spend for another set of wheels.

The NSX wheels are a good option, but pretty damn pricey at 19 inch. Not sure if they give enough sidewall for pot hole covered roads. They are the most attractive of the bunch though!
I'm pretty much the same, but would like at least 9' wide. I'm going to track it and probably get more serious at some point. But at the same time, if i can save $2k going +45, I might bite the bullet. I don't want to go lower than +45. NSX wheels are cool, but not $3k cool. If I'm spending $3k, they won't be NSX wheels probably some SSR 3 piece.
On the other hand, 20" OEM doesn't seem all that bad now. There's already numerous people that's selling them as well as tires, so you could easily get multiple sets for around $1,500. So you could actually bend many wheels and not break the bank.

OP
OP

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In a way, it might be better idea to get a cheapo set now save the money and invest in track days to learn to drive better and once we start to exceed the limit of those wheels (if ever) invest more into it. :) By that time hopefully more brands have better option of wheels close to oem offset

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Is there any tram lining while going with wide tires like 275? iirc u went with a wide set up right @youCTR ?
No negative effects whatsoever, and my offset is blowing way past the center line geometry.

Not necessarily, it could be that a wider wheel with a marginally smaller offset will be a better bet. I would recommend waiting until spring/summer, so more people will start driving/tracking them hard and we get more impressions.
There are already plenty of impressions out there with aggressive offsets and wider wheels.
Sponsored