Wheels and snow tires for Type R

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Nice! It's been lightly snowing here, not deep (maybe four or five inches) but pretty constantly for the last day or so. Car does very well in the white stuff (or after a while, the nasty gray and off-white stuff). Not Audi or Subaru well, but quite secure and safe as long as you remember that the laws of physics still apply no matter what tires you have.

The car though does get dirty af. Gonna have to visit the one "do it your self" coin-op wash bay soon, even though it's freezing.
Last winter we didn’t get much snow in the Boston area but is you keep the RPMs below 2500 it helps.

Make sure to do the under carriage spray. My old Honda’s rusted out underneath from years of salt exposure. Rusted out brake lines and power steering lines. I didn’t even have backing plates on my old accord. The drums froze to the backing plates of my old Odyssey!
Sponsored

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Last winter we didn’t get much snow in the Boston area but is you keep the RPMs below 2500 it helps.
ok. We got some snow this year.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R 89C60E25-2497-4655-B913-C2FF1807EBCA

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Just three or four inches here, but the temps plummeted to -4 or so this morning. Ouch. The car though fires up and goes no problem. I do have a garage, though, so it's not outside. The garage isn't heated but the temps are usually ten degrees or so warmer in there than outside.

calircr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
WYUbPZv.jpg
NWsyVYm.jpg

18X8 O.Z. SUPERTURISMO LM MGS + 235/40R-18 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL
what's the current offset on these? I'm moving from Cali to Utah and I'm going to need a winter setup. TIA!

freeslide

First Name
Romain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-2019 FK8 GT (European Market, Crystal Black Pearl) -1999 Celica GT Superstrut (Japanese Import, Static Red))
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R 20201226_131058
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R 20201226_132312

Goodyear Ultragrip Performance + (18, 235X40) heavily tested: EXCELLENT for snow in mountain conditions!
HAPPY NEW YEAR To Everyone :drive:

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
My winter set up 18 inch enkei rims with general altimax winter tires.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R 20210103_144456

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Finally got to test my Vredestein Quadtrac Pro's in some nasty, snowy weather. While not as stable as dedicated ice/snow tires, they performed quite well in snowy, slippery conditions. These are all season, but rated for snow as well. They have an inner tread pattern for snow. I put these on with 18's in late summer. I'll probably try a 35 series Pilot on the factory 20" wheels this spring. The Conti's at 30 series, and as sticky as they are, pick up every nail, and screw on the road.

kenshin03

First Name
kenshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ext 17
Country flag
I have hatchback 2020 is it better to get winter tires or just use snow chain/cable?
Where planning to go to tahoe next weekend last time I have snow cable on my civic can barely go up the hill.just hope it doesnt snow much. Any suggestions is appreciated!

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I have taken a different approach to this issue. Must acknowledge that though my CTR is my daily driver and my only vehicle, I only drive about 7 to 8000 miles a year. Southern New England, is a moderate snow area, usually 4-8 inches, occasionally 12 at the most, so am not as much concerned with the tread pattern and the ability of the tires to deal with performance driving in snow as with the issues of using a summer tire or even an all-season tire in low temperatures. It’s also unlikely, that with 3.5 inches of clearance at the front end, that I am going to be doing a lot of snowplowing with my car. Snow removal and general road maintenance, i.e., potholes, is excellent in my area. Though there may be little truly heavy snow, it is quite normal for temperatures to be in the teens and 20s overnight, and in the 20s during the daytime, and that’s where the compound comes into play. I also really like the 20” OEM wheels in handling, I would not want to lose any of the no torque steer capability, which is one of the main reasons that I bought the CTR to replace my 2015 SI. There is also appearance. Realize this is very subjective, anyone is entitled to have their car look however they want it to look, but I have yet to see a set of aftermarket wheels and fat tires in life or in photos, that look as good to me on the car as the OEM wheels and tires, which were developed by the Honda engineers and designers to complement the total appearance of the vehicle.

My method has been to acquire sets of OEM wheel and tire takeoffs at relatively low prices as others have jumped to other alternatives. I now have three sets of OEM wheels and multiple sets of summer tires bought on eBay or through this website at what I consider to be extremely low prices, a couple of grand, total. Great bargains if you have a few bucks now to plan for the future. In the long run you will spend that money in one form or another anyway. The greatest expense is a set of good 20-inch winter tires. It’s a limited market, most of the preferred brands and models are not available in that size, and those that are, are in a high-end OEM market, such as Lamborghini. Chose the Pirelli Sottozero 3, expensive, but as I usually drive seven months on summer tires and five months on winter tires, they will probably last me at least four seasons. They were less than $500 each, when I bought them, are now at $508 at Tire Rack, no question a lot. My local New England tire chain, Town Fair Tire, matches the Tire Rack price, and provides many other low or no-cost after-sale services, such as tire repair, seasonal change over, which I don’t need because I have multiple sets of wheels, do it myself, etc. All the tires that I have now will be used within their five-year shelf life. After one more season, I probably will need to replace the Pirelli’s. Will see what the prices are at that point, or whether I must make another choice. For now, they are a good winter tire, good tread pattern, a little noisy, the tread pattern works well in snow, in the dry not quite that stuck to the road feel of the OEM Continentals, but generally feeling quite good. I have lots of wheels, if I damage one, I can replace it out of what I already have in inventory, or replace it with a used or refurb wheel for $300. If going on a trip I can choose to use one of those as a full-size spare as an alternative to the compact spare that I usually carry.

Looking at the costs over time, for me this approach makes economic sense and there are the handling and aesthetic aspects as well.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I have taken a different approach to this issue. Must acknowledge that though my CTR is my daily driver and my only vehicle, I only drive about 7 to 8000 miles a year. Southern New England, is a moderate snow area, usually 4-8 inches, occasionally 12 at the most, so am not as much concerned with the tread pattern and the ability of the tires to deal with performance driving in snow as with the issues of using a summer tire or even an all-season tire in low temperatures. It’s also unlikely, that with 3.5 inches of clearance at the front end, that I am going to be doing a lot of snowplowing with my car. Snow removal and general road maintenance, i.e., potholes, is excellent in my area. Though there may be little truly heavy snow, it is quite normal for temperatures to be in the teens and 20s overnight, and in the 20s during the daytime, and that’s where the compound comes into play. I also really like the 20” OEM wheels in handling, I would not want to lose any of the no torque steer capability, which is one of the main reasons that I bought the CTR to replace my 2015 SI. There is also appearance. Realize this is very subjective, anyone is entitled to have their car look however they want it to look, but I have yet to see a set of aftermarket wheels and fat tires in life or in photos, that look as good to me on the car as the OEM wheels and tires, which were developed by the Honda engineers and designers to complement the total appearance of the vehicle.

My method has been to acquire sets of OEM wheel and tire takeoffs at relatively low prices as others have jumped to other alternatives. I now have three sets of OEM wheels and multiple sets of summer tires bought on eBay or through this website at what I consider to be extremely low prices, a couple of grand, total. Great bargains if you have a few bucks now to plan for the future. In the long run you will spend that money in one form or another anyway. The greatest expense is a set of good 20-inch winter tires. It’s a limited market, most of the preferred brands and models are not available in that size, and those that are, are in a high-end OEM market, such as Lamborghini. Chose the Pirelli Sottozero 3, expensive, but as I usually drive seven months on summer tires and five months on winter tires, they will probably last me at least four seasons. They were less than $500 each, when I bought them, are now at $508 at Tire Rack, no question a lot. My local New England tire chain, Town Fair Tire, matches the Tire Rack price, and provides many other low or no-cost after-sale services, such as tire repair, seasonal change over, which I don’t need because I have multiple sets of wheels, do it myself, etc. All the tires that I have now will be used within their five-year shelf life. After one more season, I probably will need to replace the Pirelli’s. Will see what the prices are at that point, or whether I must make another choice. For now, they are a good winter tire, good tread pattern, a little noisy, the tread pattern works well in snow, in the dry not quite that stuck to the road feel of the OEM Continentals, but generally feeling quite good. I have lots of wheels, if I damage one, I can replace it out of what I already have in inventory, or replace it with a used or refurb wheel for $300. If going on a trip I can choose to use one of those as a full-size spare as an alternative to the compact spare that I usually carry.

Looking at the costs over time, for me this approach makes economic sense and there are the handling and aesthetic aspects as well.
Yeah, given what you say, makes sense. In northern NE, where I am, 20" winters just aren't something I want to mess with. I'm happy with my 18" wheels and Sottozero 3s, and I haven't really noticed much in the way of torque steer, though I haven't exactly been hammering on the car given that my drive many mornings has seen temps below zero. And there's two feet of snow on my roof, with even after plowing four or so on the driveway.