Wheels and snow tires for Type R

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R WYUbPZv
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R NWsyVYm

18X8 O.Z. SUPERTURISMO LM MGS + 235/40R-18 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL

dig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback on a set of used tires/wheels.

I'm wondering if these will fit (my '19 type R is stock):

Bolt Pattern: 5x120
4 wheels Andros 18x8
4 tires Dunlop winter maxx 255/45/18

They're a good deal so I'm hoping they would work! Also, first post here :p

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback on a set of used tires/wheels.

4 wheels Andros 18x8

I am running a 235/45/18 winter tire on an 18x8 wheel.

For an 8 inch wide wheel, 255s are a bit wide. They will work but they might look a bit balloonish at the sidewall. Typically the goal is to run a narrower width size so they can cut through the snow better.

Reactions: dig

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

4 wheels Andros 18x8

255's might be a little wide on the 8" wheels, the widest I see recommended for an 8-wide is 245. We can't really tell you whether those wheels will fit or not. There is also the consideration of offset and whether the rims will clear the brakes. If you're shopping new, it might be worth asking the supplier as they would have some idea. I know places like TireRack and Fitment Industries (among others) will also let you know.

dig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
255's might be a little wide on the 8" wheels, the widest I see recommended for an 8-wide is 245. We can't really tell you whether those wheels will fit or not. There is also the consideration of offset and whether the rims will clear the brakes. If you're shopping new, it might be worth asking the supplier as they would have some idea. I know places like TireRack and Fitment Industries (among others) will also let you know.
Thanks for the response. The offset is 45mm, but this is a used setup. Do you think that would be enough?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks for the response. The offset is 45mm, but this is a used setup. Do you think that would be enough?
a +45mm setup is fine as long as the shape of the rims clears the brakes. If the used wheels used to be on a Type R you *should* be fine.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

4 wheels Andros 18x8

I wouldn't purchase them without seeing if they rub while driving. 255/45 is going to have a ton of sidewall (relative to stock)

The idea of having two sets of wheels seems expensive but when you consider the fact that you will be driving on each set of tires half as much, you realize the tires will last twice as long. The initial investment seems like a lot but you can get a set of wheels for less than 1k no problem. Then you can get whatever tires you want. Thinner is better for snow. I have 245/40 and even that sidewall is fairly meaty. I cant imagine what 255/45 would look like

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey all, new Type R owner here - first post! I live in Cleveland and am looking to put some new wheels and tires on before the white powdery stuff starts to fall.

I can get the rims below through Costco for $650. They recommend a 235/40R18 tire on it. Their site doesn't list the 2019 Type R but it says this fits the 2018. I'm assuming this would fit just fine on the '19?

Anyone run a similar setup? Any tire suggestions? Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R upload_2019-10-4_8-5-20

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R upload_2019-10-4_8-5-9

pghquickr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just installed the following:

MSW Type 73 19" Gloss Dark Grey wheels
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 245/35R19

Decided to go with 19" based mostly on this article on torque steer and the impact of changing wheels and tires. Also, the overall tire diameter is almost an exact match to the 20" OEM tires, so there shouldn't be any issues with clearance.

Obviously, they don't have the same stuck-to-the-road feel of the summer sports, and there is a bit of understeer and torque steering under heavy acceleration. Maybe should have looked harder for higher offset wheels, but I was also trying to match wheels to the car's finish, metallic.

Looking forward to the first snow of the season!

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_2145

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_2146

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_2149

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_2141

TylerTypeR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Konig 18x8.5 et 38 with Michelin’s X Ice 245/40/18

2BA98B31-85D9-42AF-906B-2BCAE58EA2B9.jpeg
Thanks for this. I am considering these for some winter wheels. Would like to see some side shots if you get a chance. Also would like to hear your thoughts about effects on steering/handling.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I bit the bullet last year after buying my 2018 CTR in November. As far as I can find the only true 20" UHP winter tire is the Pirelli Sottozero 3 at about $450 each. I like the OEM wheels and attendant handling and wanted to keep them, so that's what I did, more bucks than I expected to have to spend. Not unexpectedly, the feel is not quite the same as the OEM summer tires. The only term I can find to use is slightly squirmy, feels like the tread is moving between the wheels and the road as opposed to the sticky Continentals, but OK, when you get used to it. Undoubtedly, it's the difference in tread pattern and compound. So far, they've worn well. I drive only abut 8000 miles per year and I'm expecting four, or so, winter seasons from them.

Next, I bought a set of used OEM wheels with somewhat used summer tires and had the winter tires mounted on them. So now I have a second set of summer tires, and I can change to the winter tires on my own without an appointment when the time and temperature seem right. If you're thinking of keeping the car for several years for daily driving and to eventually trade it in or sell it outright at a good price you could consider doing this. Right now lots of people are bailing out of the OEM wheels without broader thinking about it. I'm considering buying a third set used as a backup and investment.
These wheels will become golden in the future as attrition reduces the supply.

pski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
18x8 HELO HE894
245/40R-18 Pirelli SOTTOZERO 3 Run Flats

Just put my winter shoes on this past weekend getting ready for a New York winter. I was slightly worried about the ride quality of the run flats, but turns out they perform very well. Of course they don't handle as well on the edge like the OEM Contis, but they hold their own for a winter tire.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_1421

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_1422

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels and snow tires for Type R IMG_1420