ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Okay so i know that OEM wheel size is 18X8 with +50 offset, so i found a set of aftermarket wheels that are the same size except they are +40 offset. i’m pretty new to wheels and offset and stuff like that so how would that 10mm difference in offset affect the car? would it look any different? thanks!
Sponsored

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Okay so i know that OEM wheel size is 18X8 with +50 offset, so i found a set of aftermarket wheels that are the same size except they are +40 offset. i’m pretty new to wheels and offset and stuff like that so how would that 10mm difference in offset affect the car? would it look any different? thanks!
A change from +50mm offset to +40mm offset with a same size wheel means the wheels would sit 10mm farther out from the center of the car.

For looks that means the wheels/tires will look more flush with the side body of the car, which a lot of people like.

For function, I'm not sure what the repercussions would be as I haven't changed wheel offsets. Maybe someone else with experience here can chime in.

xxbodkinxx

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
10mm is less than half an inch. You will be fine.

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
ericscott21

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
A change from +50mm offset to +40mm offset with a same size wheel means the wheels would sit 10mm farther out from the center of the car.

For looks that means the wheels/tires will look more flush with the side body of the car, which a lot of people like.

For function, I'm not sure what the repercussions would be as I haven't changed wheel offsets. Maybe someone else with experience here can chime in.
that makes a lot more sense. thank you!

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The only thing to bear in mind is that the suspension geometry is engineered with the factory wheel specs. Changing the offset can change the geometry, which can lead to worse handling performance, a bumpier ride, and excessive wear on suspension components. That doesn't mean it *will* lead to that, but it can. A small offset difference isn't likely to create an issue and you'll probably never notice the difference, but if you like the look and start venturing toward larger and larger offset changes, you'll eventually be one of those guys with the wheels sticking out the sides of the car saying things like "yeah, it handles so much better because it's like an F1 car now with the tires so far out." And nobody likes that guy. Because he's wrong. About everything. He also has a sweet speech about NOS he's dying to tell you.

Calibread

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic sport sedan
Country flag

What would be the difference if the wheel is 18 x 8.5 with a 35mm offset. Cause I need help with picking a wheel for my car and the only come in 8.5 with either a 35 or 45mm offset
Sponsored