Wheel noob - 19" / 18" performance change questions -

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Do you have a link to these wheels? Are they hub centric?

I thought the Motegi's only came in 19" sizes with this offset.

Have heard good things about the Enkei Kojin with 45mm offset. Apparently very light wgt.

We have this huge thread on these forums about wheels but for most people, looks seem to be what they are interested in. Personally this is no where near my top priority. Maybe we need a thread about track wheels only.
No aftermarket wheel will be hub centric. You’ll need to run a plastic center ring.

+53 only comes in 19” because autox rules only allows you to downsize by 1”.

Enkeis are hard to beat, cheap, and readily available if you ever bend or crack one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I am also very interested in this topic as I just hit the curb trying to dodge a huge suicidal badger crossing the road. Both my right wheels took a lot of cosmetic damage and I am not sure it's worth repairing them (if that's doable).

I am thinking about downsizing to 18's (mainly for long term cost) but I am not sure if it's as simple as switching the wheels/tires or we need to do other stuffs like lowering the car etc.
When you to go an 18 I believe it increases wheel gap so some prefer to lower. I don't believe it's necessary to change the side it's just cosmetic -

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
When you to go an 18 I believe it increases wheel gap so some prefer to lower. I don't believe it's necessary to change the side it's just cosmetic -
Wheel gap is determined by tire diameter, not the wheel diameter.

For example:

245/40/18 is 0.4% smaller than OEM (same wheel gap) - this is my preference for 18x8.5

265/35/18 is 2% smaller than OEM (bigger wheel gap) - this is a popular size but I don't like that it's greater than 1% difference.

255/40/18 is 0.8% larger tha OEM (smaller wheel gap) - this is my preference when fitting 18x9 or 18x9.5

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Not all tires that have a specific aspect ratio are the same diameter i.e. there are manufacturer's differences. Best to check a dealer that sells multiple brands before deciding. One advantage of having a slightly shorter tire is that it means the scrub radius makes some return towards zero when you have a lower offset wheel. Have to put up with speedometer error though this isn't huge anyway.

gearhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
while we have this great thread on after marke wheels - https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/civic-type-r-after-market-wheel-guide.13994/ - this thread is important as it provides feedback to downsizing to 18" wheels.

i absolutely love the dynamic handling characteristics of the CTR in original stock form. the turn in is amazing and steering inputs are almost telepathic. if you see a point on the roadway you want to hit, think it and the CTR delivers you to that spot. incredible. that all said...

... hitting even an expansion joint on the highway is TERRIBLE. i rolled over a small bridge expansion joint that was raised up an inch or so and it felt like i drove over a curb! crazy. no bueno.

my CTR is a daily and i log 100 miles each day during my commute to the office and back home. i really need an ultra high performance all-season tire with a taller sidewall. what will i compromise by losing the factory twenties? i hope i don't lose too much of the CTRs character - the immediate turn in, razor sharp feedback, ability to hit a freeway entry ramp at max speed!

FK8 CTR wheels 20x8.5 +60 = 29 lbs
Continental SPORTCONTACT 6, 245/30ZR20 = 23 lbs
TOTAL = 52 lbs each corner / CTR OEM

18x9.5 +45 = 18 lbs
Michelin PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4, 255/40ZR18 = 26 lbs
TOTAL = 44 lbs each corner / save 8 lbs each corner!

will i have any regrets when i downsize to the 18" wheel/tire set up?
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheel noob - 19" / 18" performance change questions - 20201230_120649

^^ edit: done! Perfect!

Last edited:

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
while we have this great thread on after marke wheels - https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/civic-type-r-after-market-wheel-guide.13994/ - this thread is important as it provides feedback to downsizing to 18" wheels.

i absolutely love the dynamic handling characteristics of the CTR in original stock form. the turn in is amazing and steering inputs are almost telepathic. if you see a point on the roadway you want to hit, think it and the CTR delivers you to that spot. incredible. that all said...

... hitting even an expansion joint on the highway is TERRIBLE. i rolled over a small bridge expansion joint that was raised up an inch or so and it felt like i drove over a curb! crazy. no bueno.

my CTR is a daily and i log 100 miles each day during my commute to the office and back home. i really need an ultra high performance all-season tire with a taller sidewall. what will i compromise by losing the factory twenties? i hope i don't lose too much of the CTRs character - the immediate turn in, razor sharp feedback, ability to hit a freeway entry ramp at max speed!

FK8 CTR wheels 20x8.5 +60 = 29 lbs
Continental SPORTCONTACT 6, 245/30ZR20 = 23 lbs
TOTAL = 52 lbs each corner / CTR OEM

18x9.5 +45 = 18 lbs
Michelin PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4, 255/40ZR18 = 26 lbs
TOTAL = 44 lbs each corner / save 8 lbs each corner!

will i have any regrets when i downsize to the 18" wheel/tire set up?
I have just changed over to to the same brand/type tires(255/35ZR19) but on a 19X8.5 +53 wheel. As others have said the biggest difference between stock and the new setup will be the performance of summer tires vs all season. I lost a little of that turn in direct feeling and there is a difference in how the two perform. All seasons are no match for summer tires. Much easier to have the car push in the corner, with all seasons, as there is not nearly the same stickiness.

Ride is a little more comfortable (I'm running the same pressures 35F 33R) but at least now I don't fear blowing out a tire. And yes I felt exactly the same with a 1" bump at highway speeds before with the stock setup.

I made the right choice with the combo as the car still performs well enough on the fun roads and ramps. Since I live where I've had the summer tires off for two weeks now and won't be able to put them back on til next May/June at least the all seasons allow me to have fun until the snows come.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheel noob - 19" / 18" performance change questions - 75F33F4D-71AE-45A5-B044-9D879BB65414
Here’s a sideshot on 18’s w/265-35-18 tires. Pretty sure the wheel/tire diameter is pretty close to the stock 20’s. Wheel gap should be the same as OEM?

Can someone post a side shot of an R with stock wheels/tires?

I think the car’s performance has improved moving to 18’s and a better tire (RE71Rs).

But safety is a bigger consideration. Bent (2) rims and lost golf ball sized chunk of the sidewalk when hit a pothole on the freeway...albeit was doing 97mph

CWMatto2021

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
With respect bud, I do push my car and hard, so I don't want that 'at the limit' feeling to become something disagreeable to me. What I have read about the 18's is it re-introduces a lot of torque steer which is also undesirable to me at least since this car is so fun with the way it pulls straight presently.
Sorry to bring back an over a year old thread but I've had my 2021 type r since december and it's totally stock and if you are pushing it to the limit I'd like to know how you're keeping it straight because even with the stock 20s and stock tires with 1700 miles I have torque steer and have to put my dad hands into it to keep it straight this whole 20 inch rims equals zero torque steer is nonsense these cars have it granted it's subtle and is manageable but it's very much so present I'm starting to think a lot of people don't know what torque steer is or feels like because these cars for sure have it.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to bring back an over a year old thread but I've had my 2021 type r since december and it's totally stock and if you are pushing it to the limit I'd like to know how you're keeping it straight because even with the stock 20s and stock tires with 1700 miles I have torque steer and have to put my dad hands into it to keep it straight this whole 20 inch rims equals zero torque steer is nonsense these cars have it granted it's subtle and is manageable but it's very much so present I'm starting to think a lot of people don't know what torque steer is or feels like because these cars for sure have it.
I'm referring to torque steer turning the car hard when you punch it - to me the Type R feels very neutral and straight when I punch it - I associate torque steer with my old VW Tiguan or GTi where the wheel would violently pull to the right when you punched it and it was fighting to pull you as it accelerated. With the limited slip differential that sensation is so mitigated it feels controllable and drives where you point it.

Now that being said if you nail it and then go for a sweeping turn or something it gives the sensation of fighting torque steer which perhaps it gives that feeling but I feelt it more as trying to go straight while a ton of force is pulling you forward so it's an expected sensation I guess is how to describe it?

My buddy that never drives FWD cars and comes from an AWD X6M found the lack of torque steer readily apparently and I couldn't keep him out of my car out of a weekend visit lol.

Dunno maybe we should meet up sometime since you're in Houston and see if I can feel a difference between your car and mine? <shrug> I'm still stock sans the Perrin Rear Motor Mount.

CWMatto2021

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I'm referring to torque steer turning the car hard when you punch it - to me the Type R feels very neutral and straight when I punch it - I associate torque steer with my old VW Tiguan or GTi where the wheel would violently pull to the right when you punched it and it was fighting to pull you as it accelerated. With the limited slip differential that sensation is so mitigated it feels controllable and drives where you point it.

Now that being said if you nail it and then go for a sweeping turn or something it gives the sensation of fighting torque steer which perhaps it gives that feeling but I feelt it more as trying to go straight while a ton of force is pulling you forward so it's an expected sensation I guess is how to describe it?

My buddy that never drives FWD cars and comes from an AWD X6M found the lack of torque steer readily apparently and I couldn't keep him out of my car out of a weekend visit lol.

Dunno maybe we should meet up sometime since you're in Houston and see if I can feel a difference between your car and mine? <shrug> I'm still stock sans the Perrin Rear Motor Mount.
Yeah I get that pulling to the right sensation all the time when I floor it in 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear and this is always going in a straight line. I had a buddy in the car the other day that hadn't been in it since I broke it in and immediately noticed the torque steer and he is coming from a focus st so he knows what that feels like lol but yeah maybe it's just my driving and not being use to a turbo car only one I ever drove was that focus st my buddy had that I mentioned. What part of houston are you in?

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I get that pulling to the right sensation all the time when I floor it in 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear and this is always going in a straight line. I had a buddy in the car the other day that hadn't been in it since I broke it in and immediately noticed the torque steer and he is coming from a focus st so he knows what that feels like lol but yeah maybe it's just my driving and not being use to a turbo car only one I ever drove was that focus st my buddy had that I mentioned. What part of houston are you in?
Close to RIchmond and Shepherd - 4 miles or so from downtown.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah I'm out in the Northside near cypress
Yeah sometime we can try and meet up you're out there! lol I just took my R to run an errand and laid into it here and there and it still feels super straight and easy to manage - now I don't drop the hammer smoke the tires in first - it's not that kind of car imo - I roll onto first - then hit second hard but my goal is to just be on the edge of losing traction, which is the fastest you can be imo. Perhaps just dial in a bit of finesse and roll into the power instead of just mashing the gas? Just some suggestions as I am sure your car drives as well as, and should drive better than, mine as you have revised bushing as well and some other suspension changes I believe between the 2019 and 2021.

Still happy to check it out sometime as well if you wanted to meet up post vaccine etc.. Fun world we live in these days~

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
You'll definitely get some gentle tugging for sure - despite having some neat suspension trickery, it won't track perfectly straight like an AWD car when you punch it. What is impressive is how tame it is, even tuned. True high HP FWD torque steer can be catastrophically violent, and there's never a situation in which the steering wheel on my R is ripped from my hands.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You'll definitely get some gentle tugging for sure - despite having some neat suspension trickery, it won't track perfectly straight like an AWD car when you punch it. What is impressive is how tame it is, even tuned. True high HP FWD torque steer can be catastrophically violent, and there's never a situation in which the steering wheel on my R is ripped from my hands.
well said!
Sponsored