civicsi1211

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type R
Country flag
This is a great thread. I have tein springs I was just about to put on and really wanted to switch to 18’s.
Love the ride now so this is concerning.

1. 40 offset going to have any steering issues?
2. Does anyone with 18’s feel like the car doesn’t grip/handle as well?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This is a great thread. I have tein springs I was just about to put on and really wanted to switch to 18’s.
Love the ride now so this is concerning.

1. 40 offset going to have any steering issues?
2. Does anyone with 18’s feel like the car doesn’t grip/handle as well?
I'm running a +42 and can feel a little torque steer. It's minor, not a huge issue. The directness in the steering is lost a little, which is unfortunate and I feel a little more body roll. You get sued to all of it though after a little bit of time.

civicsi1211

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type R
Country flag
I'm running a +42 and can feel a little torque steer. It's minor, not a huge issue. The directness in the steering is lost a little, which is unfortunate and I feel a little more body roll. You get sued to all of it though after a little bit of time.
Would you go back to stock?

Maybe just a good drop and some powder coated wheels might do the trick.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Would you go back to stock?

Maybe just a good drop and some powder coated wheels might do the trick.
My rims are about 20lbs a corner vs 28-30 (depending on who you ask) for the stock rims. You immediately feel that drop in weight as it causes the car to actually produce more torque/power to the road. Yes, the handling characteristics get softer, the body roll is added and you get a tad bit of torque steer... But you get much better throttle response and acceleration. No, I would not swap them back. I would, however, consider getting something like the Motegi's which I feel might be a great compromise. Still drop in weight (22lbs per corner) but also not as much softness and roll due to the 19" size. The other thing to consider is that tires a lot cheaper in a 245/40/18 vs the stock 245/30/20 or the 245/35/19 (the latter two are actually very similar in tire price).

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
No way in hell I’d go back to stock. Every time I put the factory wheels back on, I can’t stand them and put my 18s back on after a few days. Huge improvement in performance switching to lighter 18s, and the tires are much cheaper as well. You have to do it right though. Get light 18s(18-20lbs) and sticky tires. My setup saves 10lbs per wheel and it’s noticeable right away. Less rotating mass equals less drivetrain loss and better braking performance. Personally, I don’t care for how the stock wheels look either. They’re too big for the car, have a tiny sidewall that rides like crap, and are tucked way under the fender. Wheels and tires are the first thing I changed, and IMO are one of the best mods you can do to this car, when done right.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No way in hell I’d go back to stock. Every time I put the factory wheels back on, I can’t stand them and put my 18s back on after a few days. Huge improvement in performance switching to lighter 18s, and the tires are much cheaper as well. You have to do it right though. Get light 18s(18-20lbs) and sticky tires. My setup saves 10lbs per wheel and it’s noticeable right away. Less rotating mass equals less drivetrain loss and better braking performance. Personally, I don’t care for how the stock wheels look either. They’re too big for the car, have a tiny sidewall that rides like crap, and are tucked way under the fender. Wheels and tires are the first thing I changed, and IMO are one of the best mods you can do to this car, when done right.
Which wheels/tires you running, out of curiosity?

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which wheels/tires you running, out of curiosity?
They’re in my signature, but they are HRE FF15 18”x9” +35 with 245/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They’re in my signature, but they are HRE FF15 18”x9” +35 with 245/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s.
Oops, I was on mobile when I posted that and I didn't see your signature lol.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
But you do give up cornering ability and corner speed even with this setup no?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I would say no. That stays relatively the same as that probably relies more on the tires' compound vs the tire size itself. You will get a little more body roll, but it's slight in comparison. On the contrary, your cornering should actually be improved with a lighter wheel setup, you'll be able to brake later and accelerate out of a corner harder due to less rotating mass. On top of all this steering response should in theory also be improved.

What you specifically lose out on is steering feel and a suspension system that seems softer at lower speeds. What you gain is, if you're going with a lighter setup, improved power delivery, more efficient braking, better steering response, etc. The performance gain from lighter wheels is nothing to be joked about, it's actually quite substantial with these cars.

That said, if you want to keep a 20" setup, you can, once 2021 rolls around and Honda releases the LE. Just get yourself some LE forged 20" rims (probably cost you 8k all in, maybe more) to save you about 6lbs per corner. Something like a Motegi (talked about above) will get you an additional 2-ish on top of that and there are lighter 18" rims that will drop you another 2-5 on top of that. Weight loss to performance gain with wheels is probably non-linear though, it's likely you'll get diminishing returns with more weight loss.

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not in my opinion. Maybe someone more capable than me will feel differently. I love the setup! There are other advantages too, wider track, better high speed stability, etc.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
so I guess the answer is - stay with 20" if you want to maintain 'factory feel' performance.

Oh well - figured.

Thanks
I feel similarly about the driving experience on the stock 20” - I like the directness and confidence in turning that they gave.

I’ve ran both 18” (Konig Freeform 18x9.5, +35 on 255/40 Michelin PSS) and 19” (NSX 19x8.5, +55 on 245/35 Michelin PS4S), and the 19s are really close to the stock feel in my opinion. Stock suspension for both. Besides the offset on the 18s being too aggressive for my DD car (rubbed on dips) and torque steer being more prevalent, the increased sidewall made the steering feel a little numb.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I feel similarly about the driving experience on the stock 20” - I like the directness and confidence in turning that they gave.

I’ve ran both 18” (Konig Freeform 18x9.5, +35 on 255/40 Michelin PSS) and 19” (NSX 19x8.5, +55 on 245/35 Michelin PS4S), and the 19s are really close to the stock feel in my opinion. Stock suspension for both. Besides the offset on the 18s being too aggressive for my DD car (rubbed on dips) and torque steer being more prevalent, the increased sidewall made the steering feel a little numb.
Well I guess it makes sense - they designed the car for this setup <shrug> I'm very happy with the car, and even with Houston crap roads, I've hit some pretty big things and never messed up a wheel. I think you have to really hit an enormous pothole at speed or something really unexpected to take out the stock wheel, or perhaps I'm just lucky.

Oh well, happy with the stock look and wheels personally, so will just continue running them as is.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm very happy with the car, and even with Houston crap roads, I've hit some pretty big things and never messed up a wheel. I think you have to really hit an enormous pothole at speed or something really unexpected to take out the stock wheel, or perhaps I'm just lucky.
Despite all 4 of my wheels being slightly bent, probably from a mix of curbs and potholes, I have never (knocking on wood) blown out a wheel or tire when driving. I dunno about Houston, but here in Pennsylvania, there's a saying - in England they drive on the left of the road, in Pennsylvania we drive on what's left of the road...

I do think that upsizing to 245/35/20 tires provides less of a clenching experience when it comes to smacking into potholes.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Anyone try a motegi mr924 with 40 series tires? Like a 245/19/40 on stock suspension? Would the offset avoid rubs?
Sponsored