Wheel noob - 19" / 18" performance change questions -

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So with respect to going to a 19 or an 18, is there a setup of a 19 or 18 that feels essentially stock, has the same performance, or is it always a step down when you go down from the stock 20 to something else?

I'm intrigued by the different sizes but I am loathe to give up performance for a bit better ability to handle a bump. Just curious if that's realistic or if there is always some tradeoff.

If there are tradeoffs - what are they, and are they worse 18 vs 19? (would assume so)

If the 19 is not that big of a step, but still maintains stock driving characteristics, what's the most aggressive size / tire size for a 19 setup?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So with respect to going to a 19 or an 18, is there a setup of a 19 or 18 that feels essentially stock, has the same performance, or is it always a step down when you go down from the stock 20 to something else?

I'm intrigued by the different sizes but I am loathe to give up performance for a bit better ability to handle a bump. Just curious if that's realistic or if there is always some tradeoff.

If there are tradeoffs - what are they, and are they worse 18 vs 19? (would assume so)

If the 19 is not that big of a step, but still maintains stock driving characteristics, what's the most aggressive size / tire size for a 19 setup?

Thanks all!
Closest to stock would require a high offset (as close to +60 as you can). The Motegi MR924 have been popular for this reason (+53 offset with same width rim). Thicker tire wall may get rid of some of the directness of the steering feel, 18" will be worse than 19" in this area due to the tirewall size. 245/35/19 offers 0 speedo error. Though users have gone as high as 265 width tires without much issue.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so I guess the answer is - stay with 20" if you want to maintain 'factory feel' performance.

Oh well - figured.

Thanks

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so I guess the answer is - stay with 20" if you want to maintain 'factory feel' performance.

Oh well - figured.

Thanks
Pretty much, you have to sacrifice a bit of performance for comfort. I still think it may be worth it, unless you plan on driving 10/10 on a track.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Generally, you'll see a bigger difference changing out tires than wheels. I think this car can benefit from better dry grip because of the FWD layout.

I think running 20'' wheels is mostly to compensate for the soft sidewall of the OEM tire.

You could get a 18'' tire with stiffer sidewall, e.g., Dunlop Direzza III or RE71R and achieve similar stiffness. Many reasons why Honda didn't include these tires from the factory that I won't get into.

As far as minimizing torque steer, the closer to OEM offset, the better. I doubt you'll feel a difference going to the Motegis. The NSX wheels are also another option. I personally picked up the OZ Challenge 18x8.5 +55. The risk of bending the OEM wheel is just too high and that was something Honda should have considered more closely.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Generally, you'll see a bigger difference changing out tires than wheels. I think this car can benefit from better dry grip because of the FWD layout.

I think running 20'' wheels is mostly to compensate for the soft sidewall of the OEM tire.

You could get a 18'' tire with stiffer sidewall, e.g., Dunlop Direzza III or RE71R and achieve similar stiffness. Many reasons why Honda didn't include these tires from the factory that I won't get into.

As far as minimizing torque steer, the closer to OEM offset, the better. I doubt you'll feel a difference going to the Motegis. The NSX wheels are also another option. I personally picked up the OZ Challenge 18x8.5 +55. The risk of bending the OEM wheel is just too high and that was something Honda should have considered more closely.
This is typically true, though with the weight of the FK8's stock rims, I feel like you'll feel a pretty hefty change going from the heavy stock rims to a lighter set of aftermarket ones (with a decent set of aftermarket rims, like the Motegi, you could see a drop of 25-35% of mass in the rims). There are improvements to be had in acceleration, braking, and handling due to the lower rotational mass. Granted, I feel like one should probably do both and keep to a higher offset (if torque steer is problematic).

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Flushness and wheel gap are the most important features for 95% of the aftermarket wheel buyers. There's really no market for aftermarket wheels with similar FK8 factory offset.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Flushness and wheel gap are the most important features for 95% of the aftermarket wheel buyers. There's really no market for aftermarket wheels with similar FK8 factory offset.
That is true, and unfortunate :(

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is true, and unfortunate :(
Yeah I wish there was an option to have your cake and eat it too - bit more meat but same characteristics as the 20 - oh well I'll keep stock size then it drives so well I'm not going to f-it up.

I've had so many cars in my life to have one I enjoy this much as it comes is so rare I want to savor it lol.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah I wish there was an option to have your cake and eat it too - bit more meat but same characteristics as the 20 - oh well I'll keep stock size then it drives so well I'm not going to f-it up.

I've had so many cars in my life to have one I enjoy this much as it comes is so rare I want to savor it lol.
If you know someone with a 18/19, you could always ask to take it for a quick spin to see for yourself. Assuming they'd let you.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

There are a few options but they aren't cheap. Motegis are already pretty affordable. Anything cheaper, I'd question the manufacturer's quality control process.

Or you could go custom if money isn't a concern. I'm sure Forgeline will be happy to take 5k for a set of custom wheels :).

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
245/35/19 Fk2 Wheels with RE71R

Or just keep 20 and put some PS4s on it, I've read the PS4s is software than the Conti's.

Bumps will still be ass but ride will be a bit more comfortable.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
245/35/19 Fk2 Wheels with RE71R

Or just keep 20 and put some PS4s on it, I've read the PS4s is software than the Conti's.

Bumps will still be ass but ride will be a bit more comfortable.
I'm actually good with the stock ride and such, I just wondered if you could have your cake and eat it too. Makes sense it throws things off a bit going a bit smaller but the trade off makes sense for a lot of people for different reasons.

Thanks for the input all!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
did I just say software instead of softer lmao
Yes, yes you did. I read that sentence like 3 times before I realized what you meant :p

Edit: I wanted to reply a couple hours back something sarcastic, like the software is in the suspension...
Sponsored