Wheel Bearing

hkital

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a 2017 si that makes a thumping noise at lower speeds and turns to more of a whirring noise at highway speeds. I jacked up the car and dont have any play on the wheels and they spin fine - it only seems to act up under load. I am suspecting it may be a wheel bearing. Since I am over the mileage on my warranty I will work on it myself. Before I take anything apart, does anyone know the torque spec on the axle nut?
Sponsored

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Does the noise go away or reduce when turning Left or Right @ highway speeds?

If so, it's the bearing on whichever side you turn and the noise is reduced. If you turn left and the noise is reduced then it's the drivers side. Vice versa.

I'm trying to replace mine but people here are not very helpful explaining which tools I would need.

I've done my fair share on F150s, but this ain't no ford.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

obijuan86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Check your tires for feathering before taking things apart. I have 2017 si and I thought my bearing were going bad but it was the tires. I guess these nyc roads knocked my alignment off and was causing uneven wear.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a month later, but check your CV boots to see if you have any tears. This can be a problem, especially if you live in an area with harsh weather.

I had an 06 TL 6mt and my boot was torn which led to corrosion at the CV joint and eventually led to a snapped CV axle. Luckily, I was going slow and was close to home. Also, the MT half axles were 1/3rd of the price compared to the AT ones, so I lucked out there too! I was hearing a weird noise too, but didn't think of checking the CV joint.
Sponsored