First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They really tried to sell you an EX-T disguised as an SI?

damn lol
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
WOW I forgot about the VW dasher. Like a lot forget about the VW fox back in 87 when it came out I was 19 and looking to get one I think it was 5,600.00 bucks but nobody would co-sign for me at the time and it was only available with a 5 speed no auto that’s ok because I had a stronger knee than. Than I do now
The Dasher was actually a fun car to drive. It was practical as well, being a 4 door wagon. Sadly it suffered from VW unreliability. It did make it to 150k on the original engine though

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I am almost 40 (cries). I grew up with a father who loved cars. For years he was building a 1988 prelude.

I remember the very first time he took me to the dragstrip. His prelude did 9 seconds flat in the 1/4 mile. It had so much torque, the chassis twisted.

Ive been a Honda lover ever since.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am almost 40 (cries). I grew up with a father who loved cars. For years he was building a 1988 prelude.

I remember the very first time he took me to the dragstrip. His prelude did 9 seconds flat in the 1/4 mile. It had so much torque, the chassis twisted.

Sounds like a great father. There were 5 of us, and in my teenage years he was busy trying to put food on the table, put us through school, and give us a comfortable life. He unfortunately didn't have time for the smaller stuff in life. We can never pay back what our mom's and our pop's did for us

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag

The 3rd gen prelude was the first Honda to catch my eye especially with the four wheel steering in 1988 I was already on my 3rd vehicle a f100 pickup ( hated it) and a crappie job it took me up to 2018 to buy a Honda my brother had a few Honda’s since mostly motorcycles

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Sounds like a great father. There were 5 of us, and in my teenage years he was busy trying to put food on the table, put us through school, and give us a comfortable life. He unfortunately didn't have time for the smaller stuff in life. We can never pay back what our mom's and our pop's did for us
You are 100% right about this. I learned everything from my Dad from changing oil to learning how to drive manual transmission. If it wasn't for him, I don't know that I would have ever been a car enthusiast.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
The 3rd gen prelude was the first Honda to catch my eye especially with the four wheel steering in 1988 I was already on my 3rd vehicle a f100 pickup ( hated it) and a crappie job it took me up to 2018 to buy a Honda my brother had a few Honda’s since mostly motorcycles
I love the 3rd gen Prelude. That is my favorite gen prelude by far. It looked the best and had the best performance.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are 100% right about this. I learned everything from my Dad from changing oil to learning how to drive manual transmission. If it wasn't for him, I don't know that I would have ever been a car enthusiast.
Ha ha my mom taught me how to drive manual! Every car she ever owned except the last car before she passed away in 2008 was a MT. She hated automatics, and used to say "you have more control with a manual". The only reason her last car was an auto was because she had surgery in the early 2000's that made her right arm weak, so she could no longer shift

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Ha ha my mom taught me how to drive manual! Every car she ever owned except the last car before she passed away in 2008 was a MT. She hated automatics, and used to say "you have more control with a manual". The only reason her last car was an auto was because she had surgery in the early 2000's that made her right arm weak, so she could no longer shift
That's awesome man. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. My dad also passed around that same time (2010). He never owned an automatic transmission car in his entire life. He would literally say the exact same thing as your Mom "you have much more control with a manual transmission".

I always wonder what he would have thought about electric cars becoming a thing.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's awesome man. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. My dad also passed around that same time (2010). He never owned an automatic transmission car in his entire life. He would literally say the exact same thing as your Mom "you have much more control with a manual transmission".

I always wonder what he would have thought about electric cars becoming a thing.
My older brother is a mechanic ( now retired) don’t care for electric but he does say have either one or the other gas only or electric only he doesn’t care for hybrids to complicated he says although he does like the Acura NSX

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My story, in January of 2018 my little brother needed a car and I wanted to help him out after he realized that the car he wanted wasn't going to be feasible due to being so young and the insurance being sky high (370z). I owned a red 9th gen Si, full bolt ons and tuned. I've driven the heck out of this car but never really got to build it myself. In the first couple of months a friend of mine who had a 9th gen was parting out his car and I had the opportunity to test some parts for VitViper. Bought everything my buddy had and the rest of the parts came from VitViper. The car ended up tuned on all the bolt ons available for it with month's of owning it. I enjoyed this car racing it, daily driving it, and it had really low miles as I got it with 4k and work from home.

Decided to help my brother out sold him my 9th gen, went to test drive a new WRX did all the paper work and was getting ready to buy the very next day. My buddy who works for Honda convinced me to come try the Si and I loved it right off the bat, checked the aftermarket and it looked perfect to start a build with. Leased a white 2018 Si Coupe with the intention to buy if it proved reliable and fun over the next 3 years.Went full bolt ons, flex fuel, and the TSP Stg 2. Car was a ton of fun, dragged it, road tripped in it, even showed my gf to drive a manual in it. Started wanting something with more space and something that felt a little more special though.

Enter the Focus RS, after being turned off of the Type R due to the owners and the stigma of the Type R owner attitude. (They seem to bash people who don't consider it the Jesus car, people who daily it, and folks who mod it their way.) They seem to be pretty common in the PNW as well. So I was focused on finding an RS and doing more research. Found one and got offered a killer deal (21k for my 18 Si with 31k miles) I was ready to pick the car up once again the next day but after more research the headgasket problem scared me off. I didn't want to be stuck under a warranty forever not being able to mod the car to my liking. So I visited a few Honda dealerships none wanting to budge on their markup and looked around for a pre-owned one. I sat my offer sheet on their desk and said if they came close to the deal on the RS I would buy the R. Picked up the R the next day and let my Si go.

After 2 months have passed, I love the R it is a lot of fun to daily. Have met some cool owners and started tinkering with it already quite a bit. Still miss a lot about the Si though, wish I could have kept both. The Si was a blast to do pulls with every day and the MPG was freaking awesome for how hard I pushed it everyday. People harp a lot on the L15s potential but there were so many options to have a big power build. The aftermarket for the Si is on a fast track meanwhile the R has a fuel road block with high costs for not a lot more power. That said the R handles really damn good, has awesome brakes, and if you drive it hard whenever possible is so much fun.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I was missing a performance car and starting having a early mid life crisis at 40 lol. Was lucky to own brand new high powered V8's during my early 20's to late 20's. Long story short Switched jobs and got a '08 Jetta and liked it. After couple years got attached to her, but as any European car, maintenance is pricey after warranty. During the years with the Jetta started a young family and wanted to buy our first home. The Jetta was now over 200K and needed repairs. So did the sensible thing and bought a brand new '15 Hyundai Elantra Sport. After 2 years was bored of it and after the 3rd year wanted something fun.

My close friend, who is like a big brother, purchased a brand new '17 SI Sedan White. My wife surprised me with a surprise 40th birthday party and my boy showed up with his SI. I always liked the 10th Generation Civic and loved the look of the current SI. After driving his SI for couple days and Mini road trip, I wanted the SI bad and got the honda bug!

Also great thing about the SI besides the power, handling, efficiency etc, is the large aftermarket performance parts and accessories. There is very little for the Elantra Sports. So got a job offer back from my old employer, and sold the Hyundai to my parents and bought my SI Sedan!

Yeah I do miss the raw power of my old Mustangs and Trans Am, but living daily with the SI, it is a cool fun, economical dad car lol:) And time to time still drive my old Jetta with 288K miles to keep the miles off the SI:)

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was missing a performance car and starting having a early mid life crisis at 40 lol. Was lucky to own brand new high powered V8's during my early 20's to late 20's. Long story short Switched jobs and got a '08 Jetta and liked it. After couple years got attached to her, but as any European car, maintenance is pricey after warranty. During the years with the Jetta started a young family and wanted to buy our first home. The Jetta was now over 200K and needed repairs. So did the sensible thing and bought a brand new '15 Hyundai Elantra Sport. After 2 years was bored of it and after the 3rd year wanted something fun.

My close friend, who is like a big brother, purchased a brand new '17 SI Sedan White. My wife surprised me with a surprise 40th birthday party and my boy showed up with his SI. I always liked the 10th Generation Civic and loved the look of the current SI. After driving his SI for couple days and Mini road trip, I wanted the SI bad and got the honda bug!

Also great thing about the SI besides the power, handling, efficiency etc, is the large aftermarket performance parts and accessories. There is very little for the Elantra Sports. So got a job offer back from my old employer, and sold the Hyundai to my parents and bought my SI Sedan!

Yeah I do miss the raw power of my old Mustangs and Trans Am, but living daily with the SI, it is a cool fun, economical dad car lol:) And time to time still drive my old Jetta with 288K miles to keep the miles off the SI:)
Same here my 03 Jetta TDI got used was falling apart over 200k on it bought new 2014 Elantra coupe for the move to Florida got bored of it. On my upcoming 50th birthday in 2018 I wanted a turbocharged coupe Honda was the only one ( did look at other cars) unfortunately the Si was out of the question injured knee. So it was the EX- T for me and I love it The Elantra was a good car but just transportation. Maybe the next Gen Si will be opt with a DCT for us bad knee guys:rolleyes:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My story, in January of 2018 my little brother needed a car and I wanted to help him out after he realized that the car he wanted wasn't going to be feasible due to being so young and the insurance being sky high (370z). I owned a red 9th gen Si, full bolt ons and tuned. I've driven the heck out of this car but never really got to build it myself. In the first couple of months a friend of mine who had a 9th gen was parting out his car and I had the opportunity to test some parts for VitViper. Bought everything my buddy had and the rest of the parts came from VitViper. The car ended up tuned on all the bolt ons available for it with month's of owning it. I enjoyed this car racing it, daily driving it, and it had really low miles as I got it with 4k and work from home.

Decided to help my brother out sold him my 9th gen, went to test drive a new WRX did all the paper work and was getting ready to buy the very next day. My buddy who works for Honda convinced me to come try the Si and I loved it right off the bat, checked the aftermarket and it looked perfect to start a build with. Leased a white 2018 Si Coupe with the intention to buy if it proved reliable and fun over the next 3 years.Went full bolt ons, flex fuel, and the TSP Stg 2. Car was a ton of fun, dragged it, road tripped in it, even showed my gf to drive a manual in it. Started wanting something with more space and something that felt a little more special though.

Enter the Focus RS, after being turned off of the Type R due to the owners and the stigma of the Type R owner attitude. (They seem to bash people who don't consider it the Jesus car, people who daily it, and folks who mod it their way.) They seem to be pretty common in the PNW as well. So I was focused on finding an RS and doing more research. Found one and got offered a killer deal (21k for my 18 Si with 31k miles) I was ready to pick the car up once again the next day but after more research the headgasket problem scared me off. I didn't want to be stuck under a warranty forever not being able to mod the car to my liking. So I visited a few Honda dealerships none wanting to budge on their markup and looked around for a pre-owned one. I sat my offer sheet on their desk and said if they came close to the deal on the RS I would buy the R. Picked up the R the next day and let my Si go.

After 2 months have passed, I love the R it is a lot of fun to daily. Have met some cool owners and started tinkering with it already quite a bit. Still miss a lot about the Si though, wish I could have kept both. The Si was a blast to do pulls with every day and the MPG was freaking awesome for how hard I pushed it everyday. People harp a lot on the L15s potential but there were so many options to have a big power build. The aftermarket for the Si is on a fast track meanwhile the R has a fuel road block with high costs for not a lot more power. That said the R handles really damn good, has awesome brakes, and if you drive it hard whenever possible is so much fun.
It's a good thing you did not buy the Ford Focus RS. Between 2016 and 2018 I used to see at least 1 a day. This whole year I think I've only seen two. It should tell you something when a car that is $40K new now can be picked up with only a couple of years on it for half that. It's a car liken to a candle that burns on both ends

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Ha ha I went thru my mid-life crisis about 7 or 8 years ago. Unfortunately it was not over wanting to have a sportier car (I wish, I wish). I don't want to talk about it....:(
Sponsored