What's your SI looking like today?

If you could have one mod right now, what would it be?

• Total voters

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondata has a series of data logs showing long term harm that were linked in the threads from this video first posting

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/oh-no-not-another-bov-thread.57978/
Lol yes, i've seen those. My natural question when I first saw those was how could they determine long term issues from early/mid 2017 (the dates of the hondata posts)? The first year of this platform was 2017, so released middle to late 2016.

I understand the reasoning completely...just curious how much damage can be caused after true long term usage (maybe 3+ years). The damage they refer could/would happen, is that after say... 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? Could someone put one on knowing they won't have the car for more than 5 years and not see an issue?
That was my thinking also. Yes, I saw those graphs, but I'm not convinced that qualifies as sufficient longitudinal data for this question. I meant, like, 10K+ tuned miles with a BOV, and a 500 mile datalog of LTFTs. Plus, other metrics of 'the car not running right' WRT long-term harm, like plug fouling, or injectors failing prematurely. Again, I may have missed it, but I'm pretty sure no one's done such a thorough investigation.

I think a thorough investigation on such a popular topic is warranted, something beyond 'Hondata showed two graphs of relatively short intervals of STFTs'. For example, here's the original link to those two graphs: http://hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92218

X-axis: airflow meter, a metric presumably measured in seconds (as denoted by the /s)
Y-axis: short term fuel trims

- Control condition (no BOV): the average of the metering adjustments (as indicated by the blue line) hovers around 0 (where it should be)
- Experimental condition (w/ BOV): the average of the metering adjustments starts around -5, but returns to 0 in 22 seconds. I want to know the long-term potential for harm from those 22 seconds, not to mention the condition of the test. Was it one dyne pull? Or a regular driving datalog?

And another Q: it's my understanding that negative FTs = less fuel. So, wouldn't that mean that the engine is running lean, not rich, in those seconds of negative STFT? Still no bueno, sure, but a different story.

Again, I'd like to see more parameters, and more data. ...because I'm a data scientist. ?
Sponsored

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was my thinking also. Yes, I saw those graphs, but I'm not convinced that qualifies as sufficient longitudinal data for this question. I meant, like, 10K+ tuned miles with a BOV, and a 500 mile datalog of LTFTs. Plus, other metrics of 'the car not running right' WRT long-term harm, like plug fouling, or injectors failing prematurely. Again, I may have missed it, but I'm pretty sure no one's done such a thorough investigation.

I think a thorough investigation on such a popular topic is warranted, something beyond 'Hondata showed two graphs of relatively short intervals of STFTs'. For example, here's the original link to those two graphs: http://hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92218

X-axis: airflow meter, a metric presumably measured in seconds (as denoted by the /s)

- Control condition (no BOV): the average of the metering adjustments (as indicated by the blue line) hovers around 0 (where it should be)
- Experimental condition (w/ BOV): the average of the metering adjustments starts around -5, but returns to 0 in 22 seconds. I want to know the long-term potential for harm from those 22 seconds, not to mention the condition of the test. Was it one dyne pull? Or a regular driving datalog?

And another Q: it's my understanding that negative FTs = less fuel. So, wouldn't that mean that the engine is running lean, not rich, in those seconds of negative STFT? Still no bueno, sure, but a different story.

Again, I'd like to see more parameters, and more data. ...because I'm a data scientist. ?
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd!!!

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Alright mr scientist let’s set this experiment up. What else do we need to measure?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Negative fuel trim is cutting fuel (injector bandwidth) because there's too much present, a rich condition

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright mr scientist let’s set this experiment up. What else do we need to measure?
hold up! we dont need to measure that!

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good! I was afraid I’d have to embellish on some of the numbers ?
lmao nah you safe! trust me id be screwed also i have a lifted truck!

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Negative fuel trim is cutting fuel (injector bandwidth) because there's too much present, a rich condition
Ah, so, it’s a post hoc adjustment.

The computer thought there was going to be a certain amount of air going in, but the O2 showed a much lower volume than expected, and since the amount of fuel was computed based on pre-turbo measurement, the computer gets all Keanu like ‘Whoa! Too much fuel, bruh!’, then cuts injector bandwidth.

Something like that? ?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah, so, it’s a post hoc adjustment.

The computer thought there was going to be a certain amount of air going in, but the O2 showed a much lower volume than expected, and since the amount of fuel was computed based on pre-turbo measurement, the computer gets all Keanu like ‘Whoa! Too much fuel, bruh!’, then cuts injector bandwidth.

Something like that? ?
Honda Civic 10th gen What's your SI looking like today? Screenshot_20211202-195551

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First, obligatory...
Honda Civic 10th gen What's your SI looking like today? 1638494449757

Now, a couple of ways to go about this, and the best would be a hyper-controlled experiment, but the most realistic would be a case-control study: any given car running a datalog for, say, 300 miles, then changing the condition by only adding a BOV,
then datalogging another 300 miles. In fact, having multiple cars do this, then assessing the results.

?? Seems simple enough.

I might be tempted if someone buys the BOV for me. ?

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First, obligatory...
1638494449757.png

Now, a couple of ways to go about this, and the best would be a hyper-controlled experiment, but the most realistic would be a case-control study: any given car running a datalog for, say, 300 miles, then changing the condition by only adding a BOV,
then datalogging another 300 miles. In fact, having multiple cars do this, then assessing the results.

?? Seems simple enough.

hey id install one on my car if someone would give me the turbo to put on my car lol

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually ... it's Doctor Scientist ... LOL.

joeyp19

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
looks great. makes me wish I bought some springs during black friday now lol. These are on the stock suspension?
This photo was taken with the D2 Racing springs installed. I must say though, they have settled a bit and the car looks like its just a tad lower today.

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First, obligatory...
1638494449757.png

?? Seems simple enough.

Okay new plugs were done 10k kms ago. Recently put msd coils and oil is at 80%
I’ll run the bov until march. Then I’ll take it off and do logs again. It’s backwards to your approach but I don’t feel like taking it off yet lol
I’ll start the logging when I drive to Montreal next Thursday. Does it have to be one log file or multiple is fine? Since I’ll be stopping for gas and food along the way