What's your final grade of this 10th Gen Si?

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Since the 11th Gen is right around the corner, I thought I'd give a final grade to the 10th Gen Si:

Driving Characteristics: A
Comfort/Seats: B+
Fit/Finish: B
Tunability: A+
Reliability: A-
Dealer Satisfaction: F-(like always)
Overall Value: A+

Final judgement: The 10th Gen Si is probably the best Civic ever. The dealership experience is obviously rough but once you get past that the Si is an outstanding and reliable sporty car for a very reasonable price. After a decade or two of decline this Si is certainly is one of the cars that has brought Honda back to the top of carmakers.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
*Placeholder for my opinion*

-my 10th gen bias. First time new vehicle

-“but, it’s just a civic” / “holy shit, that’s a civic?”

-my desire to experience past Si’s / hondas

-honda sensing/LED lighting/future model ownership

Last edited:

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
After 2 months of ownership & 3600ish miles I can say it's the best new car ive driven in a long time.

overall a solid A!

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
This car ages like fine wine. I didn't know what other forum members are saying about the big reveal if the next gen civic but to me it looks as exciting as a can opener. I would much rather keep my coupe ( which is done and over in manufacturing ) for 10 years full of curb rash and imperfect this and that then to buy an appearance downer such as the new offering. I don't get it. My rating is 95 today and 99 tomorrow!

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Driving Characteristics: A
Comfort/Seats: B-
Fit/Finish: B-
Reliability: A
Dealer Satisfaction: D

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
IMO nothing else will compare to this SI at 25k OTD...

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Performance: A
Quality: B
Practicality: A
Styling: B
Value: A

Likely the best-handling FWD car under 30k, and acceleration is still decent. Some issues with paint quality and fit-and-finish, but still competent for an economy car. Plenty of room inside and great gas mileage as well. Styling is definitely controversial (I could have done with a little less faux-ness), but no one can deny it stood-out. Really don't think you can beat this car for the price if you were in the market for a sporty-oriented car and didn't mind FWD.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
exterior: b- Woulda been higher but paint thinness
Interior: b+/a-
Performance: b-
Handling:b+
Technology:a
Reliability:b+
Overall:b.
Pinning the car as above average overall. I don’t agree with this is the best civic to date. It is the best tech package’d and user friendly civic perhaps but not best overall. (Mainly for manual users) the fact That the car must be driven a certain way so as to not toast the clutch is a let down. Previous civics were able to be thrashed on and you’d be able to return to a subtle drive when you wanted.

The handling is nice compared to the civics it replaces by a few generstions but not sold on them being better than the double wishbone days of the 80s and 90s. The tech and vsa really help keep the 10th gen planted and turning so it’s not an entirely level comparison.

The first production turbo civic makes good torque but it does so the same way little diesel equipment would. Long stroke small displacement, small turbo motors. Which is fine for a practical standpoint but trash for a real sporty feel. Slow and low revving compared to the earlier high revving, square setups of the past. People will say what they want but the feeling of a high revving motor and putting it through its paces is exciting and not negligible.

Steering for the type r and si is nice but I prefer the manual rack days( not everyone or many will agree with me and that’s fine, this was a really personal choice for me on steering). With the rack being electric, a lot of feel is lost. There’s some ,surprisingly, which I think Honda was able to do so on the higher trims by having variable assist but more importantly the ever so slightly bigger steering shaft. More undulations and bumps can be transferred via the shaft and thus into your hands. Impressive compared to an lx civic but still not real communicative.
Handling is where the 10th gen shines for me.The car feels pretty planted and carries speed through turns well. Under steer can be felt before it gets real out of control and is readable. The body stays pretty stable which is confidence inspiring. The vsa controlling the brakes per individual corner and a much bigger wheel setup than what was ever offered previously, make for a car that assists in what you want from the car within reason.
( I have an si so much of my thoughts are based around that trim). Also I’m not considering mods or tuning. This was just my grading on what Honda set out to deliver. Any quirk or down fall can be remedied by mods but that grading what was offered as the manufactured finished product kee that in mind. Thanks!

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I am going to give my 10th Generation Si Sedan a solid "A" Grade. This car is fun to drive, economical, and 1st zippy car in 11 long years for me. After two years of ownership I still turn back and look at her, after parking.

It leaves a smile on my face and love driving her. Also first car in over 12 years that I have purchased many performance mods and accessories for. My Si is paid off and plan on keeping her for long time. Truly in love with my Si!:)

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Performance: B
Quality: B-
Practicality: A+
Styling: B
Value: B+

I have really enjoyed both of my 10th Gen Civic Si’s (2017 and 2019). From a performance perspective, the engine is limited as a 1.5L; a detuned 2.0L would have been the better engine choice. For anyone that Had a prior Si, the lack of Vtec loses the desire to scream to redline. Sure, older models had zero torque, but with vtec and a turbo, the engine would have great performance numbers from 2k to 8.5k. It doesn’t have the scream and hunger of my 2000 EM1 Si from 4.5 to 8.2k. My biggest complaint is the overall gearing, it should take 3 shifts to reach 60mph. Although 0-60 isn’t the pinnicle of performance, I’ve found gearing to hinder road courses and performance in the apexi.

Quality has improved drastically since my 2017 and my current 2019. Still some cheapiness peaks through on the interior and exterior. The main complaint I experienced in 2017 was bots rattling everywhere in the car; especially in the pillars.

Practicality is top notch, room for 3 kids and plenty of trunk space.

Styling for me is not as bad as the Type R or I would have purchased the R over the Si. The Si is still a little too ricer, but for the most part, it is a decent package for the price point. The biggest styling issues have to do with the black vents, they look terrible and detract from the car.

Overall, the 10th Generation Civic Si is an almost perfect car but with limitations. You need to realize that this is a $25k car and Honda cut corners to keep this budget range.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Interior: A- (power seats would be nice as well as lumbar lever)
Performance: A+ (try and find a car in this price range that can match stock performance)
Handling: B (I like it, but passengers say it's a rough ride, stock summer tires suck, although I wasn't charged for mine)
Technology: C (the infotainment/temp system is utter crap...should take a lesson from Mazda)
Reliability: A+ (I haven't had a single problem other than my automatic door locks being wonky)
Dealership Experience: B (I have a host of dealerships in my area so I don't allow them to treat me like crap. But overall, sales managers are inherently husslers. Not all, but it seems like you need a high level of douchebagness on your resume to be one)

Overall Average: A-/B+ (would I buy again or recommend to others? ABSOLUTELY.)

AudioSi

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 2019 Hatch EX
Country flag
Driving Characteristics: B
Comfort/Seats: B-
Fit/Finish: B
Reliability: A-
Dealer Satisfaction: F-
Overall Value: A

As a previous Audi only buyer, this generation really changed my mind about Honda. I had a regular non si 1.5 manual and it was great at being a eco car while having some spirit. The Si is amazing for its price point, especially a 2020. Unique and fun styling paired with the cars want to have fun on the road really set it apart from other vehicles. It has just enough power stock to put a smile on your face while making a nice sound from the exhaust.

Features are amazing. 25k for a 2020 and you get all the touring goodies, except leather. LED headlights, Honda sensing, better sound system and a sub. Plus all the normal Si features. And, imo the 2020 has way better wheels. Sorry but the sport wheels don't cut it against the new matte black wheels we got. Thankfully, since its Honda, its not expensive to set yourself up with a new set of wheels. And honestly, as much as I hate the fake vents, the 2020s aren't as bad thanks to the trim they added to split up the fake vent itself. Adds a nice taste of contrast and looks more appealing to the eye vs a BIG FAKE VENT. Also, this is why a coupe is better than a sedan, my rear bumper doesn't have huge fake vents. My takeaway, the Si's true form is Coupe.

Driving this car always cheers me up, it just has the feeling that the car wants to have fun with you. It has spirit. While at the same time you can cruise and get 40mpg while having a fairly comfortable ride.
Seating is fine, the seats themselves are comfy and keep you in place. My only complaint is that the coupe seats don't go as low as the sedan or hatch, and the roof line is more sloped so I occasionally hit my head when there's a good bump, Im 6 2.

Fit and finish is decent, I've noticed a few inconsistencies with panel gaps, but you really have to look up close to notice. They dressed it up nicely for the most part

Tune-ability, like most civics, is stellar. Great community and great parts suppliers. Ive never seen someone be able to get so much bang for their buck when it comes to power gains as well as this platform. You can spend a few grand on some bolt ons, a tune, and a clutch and be making CTR power.
Reliability is hit or miss imo. Oil dilution, thankfully was fixed, did have an impact on the rep of the 10th gen but for the most part its not an issue. The clutches are also hit or miss, same with the battery. Making you take dreadful trips to the dealer for service. But for the most part, very reliable.

Now dealers, as a previous Honda salesman I will agree, dealers suck balls. Thats why I went to real estate. Its annoying that I have to argue on price for a 25k "sports car" thats "Highly sought after". OR at least thats what they tell you to try and get you to pay msrp plus 2-3k in accessories plus tax. I had a dealer try to pull me into a bid war for a Si that wasn't even there, telling me they're going to sell it before it gets here so "if you don't want it then we'll see you later". Who tells that to their customers? However, dealer experience is very hit or miss. My recommendation, check inventory online, and if they have crap service just dip. Don't let a bad dealer ruin the experience for you.

Overall value, imo I think the current gen Si is very worth it. Next gen looks like a Jetta, and previous gens are old typical civics in terms of styling. This gen has very fun and sporty styling, and paired with the driving characteristics, really brings out the spirit from this car. The price point is perfect for the features.
Sponsored