What's your final grade of this 10th Gen Si?

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
7/10

not K-series
no VTEC
GDI
heat soaking

that's what brought it down
Sponsored

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
My main gripe is comfort. The seats are not as comfortable as I would have liked, and the car is so low to the ground that it is hard to get in and out of. I could deal with the latter if the seats were a bit better. I note that I am picky because I have chronic back pain issues which didn't start t occur until a few months AFTER I had purchased this car... One more thing that I dislike is the center exhaust. This prevents me from running a hitch to add a bike rack in the rear. I did get Thule roof rails, but those dented the top of the car where they clamp on ???

However, it's a 25k car. For what you get at this price, this is probably the best sedan/coupe that you can buy. imo, there really isn't anything in this price range which can compete vs. the SI. The value for the money is amazing. Every time that I consider getting a different car, I just can't find something which has all of the features of my 2020 (LKA, ACC, Honda sensing, heated seats, etc.) + great gas mileage (38+ hwy for me). Also, I really wouldn't even consider selling it if it weren't for my chronic pain issues. It is such an awesome car, and probably the best daily commuter that you can buy for the price.

I'd give it a 98/100 overall when comparing to other cars in the 25-30k price range.

Mark G.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Honda SI.
Country flag
About to celebrate my 4th year with my "17" SI. I'm very happy with it, it was & probably still is one of the best values under $27-28K, I purchased my SI out the door for $26k. I did purchase an extended warranty just before the original warranty expired., I just had Honda replaced my A/C evap system ( started blowing warm air at 48K ) Would definitely recommend purchasing or leasing.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
10th gen Si is without a doubt and by a wide margin the best Si ever. The chassis has substantially better handling characteristics than any previous gen Si, it's lighter than the previous gen Si, and it has a ton more torque than the previous Si. Having a turbo stock makes it a hell of a lot easier to add power. 9th gen Si + full bolt ons + custom tune is producing less power than a 10th gen Si with just a ktuner base map.

Really the biggest issues with it are 1. Rev hang, 2. Terrible clutch grab location(why is it at the very top of the travel), and 3. It really should have been 230hp considering what the competition has out at the time.

Without question, 10th Gen Si is a better car than the Veloster Turbo, Golf GTI, and Focus ST.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Driving Characteristics: A
Comfort/Seats: B+
Fit/Finish: A
Tunability: A+
Reliability: A
Dealer Satisfaction: C(like always)
Overall Value: A

Only complaint on the interior is the material they use on the armrest and center console. Its uncomfortable and gets dirty easily. I am getting over 40mpg commuting and without tuning I think performance is decent. Dealer was ok, I basically just called and said I wanted to pay MSRP so I wouldn't lose this car (this was last January)

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Fit/Finish: B+
Tunability: A
Dealer Satisfaction: I don’t have complaints, really, see below, but it was t an issue. So decent experience. My service department is actually quite nice!
Overall Value: I Love it.

I’m hitting 65k miles today! my first Honda and Si ever. Wanted something sporty, with good gas mileage(average 38mpg at stock boost, about 35 if I’m more aggressive And in TSP map 3. With the bigger wheels I’m down to 32.5 normal and 31 mpg map 3, that would last. If my previous car didn’t take a crap the day before I picked up my Si, I might have decided to cancel and search for a R(but I didn’t want to shell out an extra 5k to keep the payment, what I wanted lol.
Dealer was ok. I got an internet price on the 2019 TYC, about 2.5k under stickered price, but when we were signing they didn’t put in that price, but I showed them the email and they changed it. Did get extended warranty, but was committing 100+mi/day.
It’s fun to drive, the looks I still get from ppl crack me up, it’s just a civic I think to myself. Stock exterior, until recently. Slowly modifying since warranty is out.
I was also considering, GTI SND WRX or ST, but the reliability and cheaper price sold me.
mover all I like the interior,I agree the fabric on armrest/doors just sucks updead skin or anything that gets on it SND looks terrible. I had a friend that loved the seats. So sad to see the coupe model go.
for the final price I paid,and getting it new for about 23k+tax/title/ext warranty (yeah I know rip off but was commuting so far) at the difference in price points, this is a great bang for the buck!

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I had a '15 9th gen and this '17 10th Gen...so I can't really say that this is 'the BEST Si EVER!!' BUT...from my 6 years of ownership (total between the 2)...it's a great car. MPG is awesome...fun factor is right up there...it turns heads and I absolutely love the way the back end of it looks - too bad Honda scrapped the look for the new gen (and also dropped the coupe - BAD idea, Honda). Mine just turned 50k miles yesterday, and next week...I trade it for a '21 Type R. I'm gonna miss that gas mileage :eek:) I'll have to re-take the family portrait - the wife traded her green EX-L on a Mazda 3 turbo hatch yesterday - can't wait for the speeding tickets to roll in...

Oh...honorable mention for the BOO! Hiss....factor.... The A/C issue. Yeah, they extended the warranty....but what a hassle.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fit/Finish: B-
Tunability: B
Reliability: B
Dealer Satisfaction: D
Overall Value: A- (If you bought one in 2017-2019 for the Si)

My criticisms (and assume everything else is peachy keen otherwise) for the Si specifically is the adjustable dampers have little difference between normal and sport modes. Normal should be softer and sport should be firmer, as such, I’d of rather had them just give good non-adjustables and been passed on a couple hundred in savings. As such, I think it compromises what could have been a better highway ride on broken pavement. I’d of sprung for memory adjustable seats with ventilation even had they been a somewhat pricey option for the Si. The seats as they are were more plush and supportive than the gen 9 seats but pretty similar. They’re the first impression I had that I liked gen 10 better than 9 when I sat down.

Panel gaps, rattles, and paint make fit and finish so-so… but it is a car that was born at around $20k for the base trim and every trim above that is really tied to that initial price point for the finish.

The turbo was supposed to be a TD03. The discussion @Oddwayne had about the motor being like a diesel is on-point. Reflashes may try to massage the top end but inevitably, the performance and powerband is tied to this little turbo. I’m very interested if gen 11 gets a TD03 for a planned obsolescence kind of power jump up away from gen 10… letting gen 11s Si soldier on with a L15B7 but getting a little more power up top. The Si has been stuck at 205 hp (rated) for 2 generations and gen 8 was about the same. That’s 15 years. Honda needs a bigger number I think to keep interest and stay competitive.

The powertrain seems fine. AC issues and suspension issues in cold weather are a bit common and have hurt my image of “Honda Reliability”. The added cost of maintaining OEM adjustable suspension going aftermarket for less and losing the functionality and the (present) higher price of R-1234yf over R-134a is a drag.

I had an easy deal after walking out of the first place that offered me what I owed on my trade vice what it was worth and held firm to MSRP. That gave a couple grand of trade equity and the car for the mid-23k realm. Honda service departments are the worst amongst all service departments I view as pretty-much-shit. I do my own work and what I don’t do, which is minimal, I go to 3rd party repair shops that are worth a damn.

If you got a Si for around or under $25k… then I think it was money well spent. There’s been few on junkyards and the price of used “big” things (engines/transmissions) has remained high which is why I’ve always remained gentle. Blowing up a 10-15 year old car where you can take your pick of replacement used parts at a U-Pull is way different than a new-ish car. The ADM for the CTRs making them wild in price for what started as a 20k car made them not too interesting to me. As Sis exceeded $25k… and in the current market, used examples being higher than their new cost, some approaching an asking price of $30k for Si coupes is crazy. I wouldn’t think of buying a couple year old Si for much over $20k. If that’s the market then I’d refuse to buy and others shouldn’t play that game.

I don’t think gen 11 will be a gen 9 repeat, but I also don’t think it will do enough to differentiate it from 10 to make it the leap gen 10 was. I’m sure in its own way, styling aside, it’ll be either just as good or an incremental improvement over gen 10.

Looking at my grades, I don't consider Honda dealers being hot garbage the cars fault and place a good drive over the faults or short comings the car may have and weigh it accordingly. It’s not a perfect car, but nothing in this life is perfect when you’re a pessimist like me. It’s probably the “best” car I’ve ever owned as a do-anything vehicle. I can carry my whole family in relative comfort. I can drive aggressively and row my own gears. It isn’t too hard to work on. It has modern tech features. It is cheap to feed/maintain. It should be cheap to keep on the road for some years with parts if I keep it. There are things I don’t like about it, but it’s not enough to have made me trade out and I have looked at a few things in the last 1.5 years and was committed to ridding myself of it recently and ended up not going through with it. Some of that was issues with the car I was looking at. Some was how good the Civic still was in comparison.

Last edited:

yanks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Country flag
Overall, I would say a A-.

No other car beats it in its pricepoint relative to reliability, performance, handling. Two things that bother me..I still hate the USB port exhaust. Really do. Second, is a more personal one, but I regret buying this in Black. I always like the color black the best on cars but on this one, it just doesn’t “spark”. Honda’s in general do not have the best paint, specifically black. I saw a Silver one the other day and it was night and day.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since the 11th Gen is right around the corner, I thought I'd give a final grade to the 10th Gen Si:

Fit/Finish: B
Reliability: A-
Dealer Satisfaction: F-(like always)
Overall Value: A+

Final judgement: The 10th Gen Si is probably the best Civic ever. The dealership experience is obviously rough but once you get past that the Si is an outstanding and reliable sporty car for a very reasonable price. After a decade or two of decline this Si is certainly is one of the cars that has brought Honda back to the top of carmakers.
ive had my car for 3 something years now and im just now hitting 34k miles (getting close to 35k) and its been a great car buuut this is my opinion of it tbh

Driving Characteristics: A (fun to drive for the price point and still gets good mpg)
infotainment: C+ or B (i like the tech with the headunit but its so slow and ive had it crash on me so many times! and every time i take it in nobody can figure it out!)
Comfort/Seats: B (depending if its a long drive or not plus lots of rattles here and there)
Fit/Finish: C (the paint sucks big time... which is odd because the paint is also pretty)also body gaps....
Tunability: A+(lots of options so that will stay the same even thou im not tuned)
Reliability: A (so far ive had no issues besides battery issues hope it keeps that way)
Dealer Satisfaction: B+ (tbh ive only had one issue with my dealer)
cupholder design: F- (seriously i hate the cupholders in this car...)
Overall Value: tbh idk im not a teacher lol

overall the car has been great it has a lot of little things that annoy me about it......... but i can usually overlook them since it is a fun little car that was pretty cheap.

do i think its the best civic?
umm im gonna have to say no as much as i like the car and as much fun as it is..... i happen to love my little 98 way more idk why but i just do something about it is just great lol.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just wanted to add to my previous grade as far as comparable cars, within the price range, GTI, WRX, Focus ST. I had looked at all 3, the GTI, you be hard pressed to find one that wasn’t 30k, a WRX around me in 2019, you were looking at 29k, 31k I’d you went with the upgraded cat back exhaust and I only price pointed the ST, since I had read they were discontinuing it. But we are talking a few thousand here between, not 1-2k. They all have more power, and the GTI tranny just goes, have 2007 Rabbit, with the DSG, not sure why(mine was 100%made in Germany for whatever reason) it drives better than I would, it’s amazing. But at the time I couldn’t find one sub 30k. And honestly are the ST’s even that much quicker? I was behind one the other day turning at a light, def aftermarket exhaust, tuned stickers on it, maybe upgraded intercooler(the front grill was missing) I knew he was going floor it(WOT? Most likely), did he pull on me, bit yea, but I’m only running TSP1, and had it in switching map mode on accident so idk if I was even fully WOT, hitting boost or how close I was to redline. No frocking idea, I shoulda been gapped a hell of a lot more. I shoulda been at Gapplebees. Just saying. And IT STILL TURNS HEADS! Had a guy taking a picture of it at Walmart 2 weeks ago. Smoked side markers and type r wheels. Not slammed or tinted or any other exterior mods. I’d wager my pink slip no WRX/GTI/ST folks are getting that at a nearly stock exterior.

67k in, 10k tuned, so far no issues but a/c fan started make not so healthy noises.
hoping to install a stage 2 tune and flex fuel in the next few months, with my CAI, and we will see how it does with this many miles on it. Sorry this turned into a rant somehow.
End of the day us coupe peeps kinda got the shaft.

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
everyone's tripping regular A's on everything
Definitely! I have an R as well, and I give the Si an A. What other car (at the time) could you get for an MSRP of 25k that blends the performance, styling and value as well as this platform? You'd have to spend double to get the equivalent. The Si's handling is amazing for a FWD car. Add some mods and you have a sleeper.

I will make a controversial statement....I think the 10th Gen Si will be every bit as collectible as the R in a decade or so, especially as ICE cars are phased out.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Definitely! I have an R as well, and I give the Si an A. What other car (at the time) could you get for an MSRP of 25k that blends the performance, styling and value as well as this platform? You'd have to spend double to get the equivalent. The Si's handling is amazing for a FWD car. Add some mods and you have a sleeper.

I will make a controversial statement....I think the 10th Gen Si will be every bit as collectible as the R in a decade or so, especially as ICE cars are phased out.
I think i'm gonna regret trading my 10th gen Si. I loved the look of it...and it handled well and got super gas mileage. It also had FAR fewer issues with the crappy head unit.

I don't have buyer's remorse for getting the CTR...I just wish I could have kept the Si, as well....but i'm not greedy :)

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Fit/Finish: A
Dealer Satisfaction: C(like always)
Overall Value: A

Only complaint on the interior is the material they use on the armrest and center console. Its uncomfortable and gets dirty easily. I am getting over 40mpg commuting and without tuning I think performance is decent. Dealer was ok, I basically just called and said I wanted to pay MSRP so I wouldn't lose this car (this was last January)
You can order OEM honda insight leather arm rests and center console for $150.
Sponsored

Reactions: mjh