What's your favorite all-season tire/brand?

dave00str

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, CRX
Country flag
I've had 3 sets of the Continental DWS, they were my go-to all season for the last 10 years. They were unbelievable on my Mazda 3, but a little less impressive on the larger 14 Accord. Still highly recommended.
A shall-not-be-named friend works at a large tire test facility...he gave me a set of BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S, which also impressed me enough to buy another set, which I'll be mounting on my Civic this weekend.
Sponsored

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I have Conti DWS06 on my BMW - 2nd set. I'll be switching to the same tire on my '16 Coupe Touring soon.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
If you see a lot of snow then DWS-06 are king, they are seriously better than most dedicated winter tires. They are neck and neck with max performance summer tires too. I've never had anything touch their overall performance and had them on several cars. Pilot sport 3 plus's are right there at the top of the group too, but seem to be elevated to best based more on feel than actual quantitative performance. Personally I prefer the ride of DWS-06. Even with a softer turn in they post identical test results, are better in snow, and are quiet and cushy. That said I am going to try the new Goodyear Exhilarate as they blew away everyone else in wet performance in TireRack's latest test, and were neck and neck with the top three in the dry posting by far the best grip.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
If you see a lot of snow then DWS-06 are king, they are seriously better than most dedicated winter tires. They are neck and neck with max performance summer tires too. I've never had anything touch their overall performance and had them on several cars. Pilot sport 3 plus's are right there at the top of the group too, but seem to be elevated to best based more on feel than actual quantitative performance. Personally I prefer the ride of DWS-06. Even with a softer turn in they post identical test results, are better in snow, and are quiet and cushy. That said I am going to try the new Goodyear Exhilarate as they blew away everyone else in wet performance in TireRack's latest test, and were neck and neck with the top three in the dry posting by far the best grip.

As someone who does winter autocross on ice, a brand new all season can’t hold a candle to even a partially worn down winter tire. I know someone who had new DWS-06 tires on one of their cars and wanted to see how they could perform. Needless to say a new driver had no problem beating his times with winter tires vs an experienced driver with new all seasons on the same platform. Additionally my father had those tires per my recommendation on his car as he only has one set. I had to move cars around one snowy evening and had to get a running start with his vs I just walked up a slight incline with no problem with the snow tires. A jack of all trades (all season) may be good with a little of everything but excel at nothing. They are good tires but not as amazing as you make out. Same with high performance summer vs all season.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I didn't mean for it sound that extreme. I wouldn't compare any all seasons to any ice race tires, that would be silly. Obviously dedicated tires from the same manufacturer would be better at their intended purpose. I would say that DWS06's are better in the snow than dedicated winter tires from crappy low end manufacturers like Falken (which account for the bulk of tire sales). Same with summer tires. Most people try to save a few bucks and get cheap tires. All I'm saying is that I'd rather have good all seasons from the big brands better lines than dedicated winter and summer tires from the B and C list of manufacturers. That said some of those bargain brands are just that a bargain, (Kumho,Hankook, Nitto) but most are unsafe garbage that I wouldn't put on my cars.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I agree 100%

After doing lots of research we landed on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for our Ohio winter needs.

Her car (WRX) came with Dunlop Maxx summer tires. Overall they feel similar just a touch softer in normal driving conditions but still very responsive. I'm confident come winter snow they will perform well.

In my case the difference is a lot more noticeable because I went from 20" to 19". The car still feels good but +R now feels like sport mode.

The biggest thing to me though is the confidence I feel now going into winter. I'm originally from Florida and my first winter (4yrs ago) was rough. Not realizing I was on full summer tires I had quite a few scares and learned the hard way. I know they are A/S tires and I don't expect miracles in 8"-12" of snow. Those days I stay home.

I didn't mean for it sound that extreme. I wouldn't compare any all seasons to any ice race tires, that would be silly. Obviously dedicated tires from the same manufacturer would be better at their intended purpose. I would say that DWS06's are better in the snow than dedicated winter tires from crappy low end manufacturers like Falken (which account for the bulk of tire sales). Same with summer tires. Most people try to save a few bucks and get cheap tires. All I'm saying is that I'd rather have good all seasons from the big brands better lines than dedicated winter and summer tires from the B and C list of manufacturers. That said some of those bargain brands are just that a bargain, (Kumho,Hankook, Nitto) but most are unsafe garbage that I wouldn't put on my cars.

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag

How do you like the Exhilarates? I plan on buying either Michelin A/S 3+ or Exhilarates this weekend

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How do you like the Exhilarates? I plan on buying either Michelin A/S 3+ or Exhilarates this weekend
I actually lucked into a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires for half price that I couldn't refuse. I put them on my stock wheels and delayed the wheel/tire package until spring. These things are unbelievable though, so much grip yet great snow traction. I can go around a wet corner faster now than I could in the dry on the stock tires, they seriously feel like summer rubber.

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I actually lucked into a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires for half price that I couldn't refuse. I put them on my stock wheels and delayed the wheel/tire package until spring. These things are unbelievable though, so much grip yet great snow traction. I can go around a wet corner faster now than I could in the dry on the stock tires, they seriously feel like summer rubber.
I ended up getting the Exhilarates and should be getting them installed within the next few weeks. I am excited to get rid of the stocks!

delsoldon

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T sedan / '18 Civic EX hatch / '12 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I was leaning towards the DWS but couldn't pass up the deal I got on some BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sports. Sams club had one of their one-day sales that brought them down to $97/each plus free mounting (215/50R17). I went ahead and placed the order with Sams but then remembered that Discount Tire does price matching. I would rather deal with Discount Tire over the life of the tires so I called them to see if they could match that price, sure enough, they could. So for $388+tax I had a set of 4 new tires installed that don't spin out at the slightest bit of drizzle like the original Firestones did. I haven't seen any snow with them yet so no comment there, but the dry and wet traction is a major improvement. Only gripe is the louder road noise on the BFG's but that is easily fixed by turning up the music.
Sponsored