What's up with the huge fake vents?

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like them. If i didn't i wouldn't have gotten it. I like how they just went 100% non conservative unlike the last generation. It is a breathe of fresh air from Honda I personally think. I think it makes the civic stand out from the crowd in a good way.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
I like them. If i didn't i wouldn't have gotten it. I like how they just went 100% non conservative unlike the last generation. It is a breathe of fresh air from Honda I personally think. I think it makes the civic stand out from the crowd in a good way.
They look good, but what I don't get, is why go through all the trouble of designing bumpers that have them and then just block them off? I mean, thw rear bumper of the Si coupe I can understand...but the front ones? Or the rear ones on the sedan or hatch?

Shoot...even if there was just a small opening in them that functioned as an air inlet to cool the front brakes or something like that it would be nice

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
They break up what would otherwise be a big slab of painted plastic, so visually, I think they help (a bit).

The ACC sensor is in the front left "vent", so adding a brake duct would be tricky. But, at least the option would be there if you want to mod it, especially if you got a trim without the sensor.

Speaking of which, it'd be nicer to mod any of the fake vents into actual vents than it would be to cut holes into bumpers without preexisting fake vents (if you catch my drift). I guess you could threat the fake vents as templates for real vents.

(kinda reaching for straws here, honestly; and my black FK7 hides them pretty well anyway)

s2ktaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '19 Civic Si, '17 Civic EX HB, '09 Civic Si, '01 S2000
Country flag
But given this is a turbo, they could have made them functional at least in the front. the rear of the regular sedan or the coupe is adequate, the oversized fake vent on the Si is overkill

s2ktaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '19 Civic Si, '17 Civic EX HB, '09 Civic Si, '01 S2000
Country flag
They look ok on the Hatchback but not on the Si Sedan which is what I think most of the feedback in this thread is around.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They look ok on the Hatchback but not on the Si Sedan which is what I think most of the feedback in this thread is around.
I still like them on the sedan. I may be in the minority but I think it's nice to see something unique from Honda which has been stale for the past 6 years.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Brake cooling ducts are awesome for track and race cars, but they kinda suck for a daily driver that isn't going to be put on a lift for brake inspection and maintenance after every rainy day driving on the interstate.

The story I was told at the dealership was that the designer of the previous generation -- the original issue, before the big mid-cycle facelift -- got fired because the car was so bland, and the guy who designed the facelift was given free rein to do the '16-17 Civics.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
If you notice on the HB there is an opening in the pass front one, if you look behind it there is one of the intercooler pipes from the turbo to the IC, that would be the hot side so air flow on that pipe may be reducing the intake air temp coming out of the turbo......maybe???

OP
OP

z34me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX-S
They break up what would otherwise be a big slab of painted plastic
I don't see that as a problem. The new Miata for example is quite smooth in the back and I think it looks great. I also like the look of cars that take the unibody appearance to an extreme, like the G35 and Accord coupes.

I just realized I bet Honda mimicked the real air vents on the new NSX for the fake ones on the Civic.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I partly agree on the vents. I'm hoping that there are mods that allow some of them to help with directing cooler air into the intake, brake cooling, ect. The fact they are so big, and useless is just weird.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OMG fake ventz on a Furd:
Honda Civic 10th gen What's up with the huge fake vents? ford-focus-st-2015%20(8)

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did a quick Photoshop on the official blue Si photo. Not at all an ideal vent-free rear bumper, but it's an approximation of what a smooth bumper might look like at this size.

Honda Civic 10th gen What's up with the huge fake vents? 2017-Civic-Si-smoothbumper-001
Sponsored