Whats the worst fact a dealership has told you?

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Just wondering what is the funniest wrong fact a salesman has told you while you were test driving or looking at the Civicx. The dealership i went to the salesman told me that the civicx has a 17 gallon gas tank also that it had LSD on the front and back lol. I already knew everything about the car before i went in (kinda really just did a test drive to see if i liked how it drove) but it was funny hearing how wrong they were about the car. Also my backround i have been a mechanic since i was 13 built my first engine at 14 so i like to think i know my way around a car had my budy tell me to stop asking stupid questions to see how bad the salesman would mess up. I asked if the chrome bar on the front of the civic was solid metal and he said yes.
Sponsored

Hohum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
We went to one dealership and met a guy who we nicknamed The Touring Salesguy. Like you, I researched all the ins and outs of the vehicle before hitting the dealership, so it was a fairly comical test drive. We drove the EX-T and had some questions; lumbar support? On the Touring. Height-adjustable passenger seat? On the Touring? All-wheel drive? You guessed it - "I think that's on the Touring as well". I actually called him out on the last one, and he said "Well, all four wheels are in motion, so...". That's a good feature - I really hated my last few cars when the wheels didn't move. To be fair I think it was his first day (first day of learning about the existence of the automobile).

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My salesguy just got confused because he kept bragging about his Accord Touring he just bought (have fun with the 84-month payment buddy) and told me it had auto high-beams.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I had two salesmen. The first was a self-aggrandizing idiot. He spent the whole time bragging about how he was the number one salesman at this "other" dealership but they didn't pay him enough so he quit and came to this Honda dealership, where he'd been the number one salesman every month since coming. He then just talked about his horrid driving habits. "As soon as a point comes off my license, I get another ticket." He couldn't go get a car for us (the lot is big, and on two sides of the street) because "I don't have license right now; I won't get it back for 6 months."

My brother (who has sold cars many years) went with me. Between us, we asked several questions. We were never given a single answer to any of them. When asked about price - he refused to give us anything except a per month and number of months scrawled on a post-it after a several minute wait where he disappeared to talk to his manager and get us the "best deal we'll find anywhere" (I calculated things out - for lease or purchase, it was full MSRP plus some with around 10 percent interest). I bought elsewhere.

Elsewhere... this guy was much nicer (until he got my deposit - never once answered a question, email, or returned a phone call after that - for two weeks), but not too knowledgeable. He didn't know most things the car did do until I pointed them out to him. He did think there was an Aux in (glovebox or the center storage area somewhere). He said my phone wold work, and that any phone with Bluetooth would be compatible - something Honda disagrees with, as I've bitched about in other threads, and as Honda Corporate called my dealer to tell them. "He has an Samsung S5. DO NOT help him with any issue you think could be phone related." F*ck Honda Corporate. None of my issues are because of my phone. My guy confused LKAS and thought it would work no matter the speed... couldn't understand why it wasn't working on our test drive. The dealer I bought from had a lifetime powertrain warranty on all their cars. I asked about qualification for it and was told that I just had to get oil changes per the maintenance minder (wherever I wanted - but had to keep the proof). The last piece of paper I signed on buying day states that the oil changes have to be purchased at that dealership with no more than 5K between them and a few other early maintenance requirements for other things. If I go 5001 miles without an oil change, the warranty is void. The paperwork is very clear. The salesman was not. There were a couple of other inaccuracies, but I don't recall them off the top of my head. I'll edit if I do.

Last edited:

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
One dealership had a white Touring on display by the road, and when I mentioned that my ideal color combo for my Civic is White exterior, Ivory/beige interior, he said it only comes in black. I assume it's because that's what they had.

Needless to say, with that info and other things that didn't sit right with me, I went to another dealer and went with the Lunar Silver instead.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
This is the 4th time I've leased through this particular dealership. I had the same salesman through the previous three deals. This time around my new salesman informed me that my original guy had retired, and also that he doubts he'll ever retire himself because his ex-wife took everything. He also went into great personal detail regarding a serious back surgery he had, explaining his slow, shuffling, hunched walk that took about five minutes each way every time he went to go speak with his manager, as well as a life-threatening staph infection that set in post-op and hospitalized him for a month. Regarding the car, he was admirably straight-forward, admitted when he didn't know something, and gave me a price I'm comfortable with.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
My salesguy just got confused because he kept bragging about his Accord Touring he just bought (have fun with the 84-month payment buddy) and told me it had auto high-beams.
84 months? Jesus just kill me now... Anything >60 is just way too much for me. Even 60 is pretty high IMO.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
84 months? Jesus just kill me now... Anything >60 is just way too much for me. Even 60 is pretty high IMO.
Agreed. He said he was rebuilding his credit from the low 500s :eek: ...so he decides to buy a $35k car lol

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I make it a point to know more about the vehicle I'm buying than the salesman beforehand. I think research is absolutely key to not getting screwed over and also making the most informed decision - I never rely on other people to give me correct facts (lesson I've learned over the years).

Years ago, I watched a salesman tell a Hispanic family that the 2009 Si came with an automatic and they could 'absolutely order one' for them. Had a Mazda dealer try to tell me the RX-8 I was looking at (still love that design - but passed on it) wasn't a rotary.

Most recently, a salesman I worked with told me the Touring had way more horsepower than my 2013 Si.

All harmless to me given I know the truth, but to the average Civic consumer - definitely could be problematic.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Guy tried to tell me there was no Cosmic Blue and tried to sell me an Aegean Blue instead, telling me that it's "the same one you are thinking of". Because of course they didn't have a Touring in Cosmic. Even after I pointed out the colors in Honda's own catalog, he kept insisting there was only 1 blue on the new Civics. I walked out.

Another one tried to tell me the Touring needed a "dealer upgrade" to the 450-watt stereo.

I tell you, these guys, they are Trump-level shameless. I did finally find a straight-shooting, no BS dealer and bought the car from them.

Last edited:

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Guy tried to tell me there was no Cosmic Blue and tried to sell me an Aegean Blue instead. Because of course they didn't have a Touring in Cosmic. Even after I pointed out the colors, he kept insisting there was only 1 blue on the new Civics. I walked out.

Another one tried to tell me the Touring needed a "dealer upgrade" to the 450-watt stereo.

I tell you, these guys, they are Trump-level shameless. I did finally find a straight-shooting, no BS dealer and bought the car from them.
I sympathize to a certain degree - there's a ton of new features on cars and they vary so heavily between models and trim levels, I'm sure it's hard to keep straight.

However, that sympathy ends when I remind myself of the fact that when you do a job, you take it upon yourself to learn all aspects of the job. So many people half*** things (even in my corporate job), and they can get by. But you can always tell the ones who really know their stuff because they take it upon themselves to learn as much as they can about what they do and become experts.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I sympathize to a certain degree - there's a ton of new features on cars and they vary so heavily between models and trim levels, I'm sure it's hard to keep straight.

However, that sympathy ends when I remind myself of the fact that when you do a job, you take it upon yourself to learn all aspects of the job. So many people half*** things (even in my corporate job), and they can get by. But you can always tell the ones who really know their stuff because they take it upon themselves to learn as much as they can about what they do and become experts.
Yeah, I just edited my post to clarify though: I actually showed him the 2 colors side by side in their own catalog and he still tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about. At that point it was just plain disrespectful.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I just edited my post to clarify though: I actually showed him the 2 colors side by side in their own catalog and he still tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about. At that point it was just plain disrespectful.
Disrespectful, wasting my time, stupid, and treating me like I'm stupid? I woulda walked out too. The ego some of these guys have is silly.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Woof. Some people, I tell ya.
Sponsored