Whats the worst fact a dealership has told you?

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Even so, I have a hard time believing the sales guy took any of that into account. :D
It doesn't surprise me. A guy at the dealership I talked to said that it had more horsepower than the Si. I'm sure he remembered reading that article that said it was faster than the Si in a straight line (which I believe) but was a bit misguided haha.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I have purchased more than few cars over the years and recall having the best experience with Lexus and the worst with Kia. A Kia dealer's finance manager attempted to sale me on the idea that an extended warranty, GAP policy, and 'AMV' fee were required as part of the pending car purchase (I had initially looked into the dealer's financing options). Needless to say, I knew better, declined the offer, and walked away. Honda has luckily been in a tolerable middle ground between the two extremes and only annoy me with up-sale products like paint sealants and scotch guard. I figure its part of the general experience and work with it and cannot otherwise complain about my experience. As always buyer beware.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I gotta tell you guys, if people ever take one dealer extra, it should be GAP. I always thought it was gimmicky but when a 19 year old ran a red light and totaled my 2012 Si a few years ago (car had less than 2K on the odometer), I had to fight his insurance company hard to not be turned upside down.

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
I've mentioned on previous posts here that I tried very hard to buy a Civic Touring, but the Honda dealer only wanted to discuss monthly payments before we even agreed on the price of the car. They would not budge from MSRP, hoping to mask the car's price with talk of monthly payments. I actually prefer to simply pay cash for all my cars, so I told him I don't care about monthly payments. This was the first time I've dealt with a Honda dealer, so I don't know if this is typical. But afterwards, I changed my mind and decided I like the '16 Acura ILX better and it could be had for only about $2k more than the Touring MSRP price. The Acura dealer was so much more pleasant to deal with and didn't play the typical sales games. I told told them upfront that I would write a check for the car and no discussions of financing ever came up.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hahahahahahahahaha! That's funny. Could you call him and ask him exactly how many manufacturers have let their "mid/compact sedan" replace their "full size" sedan segment? I can't think of any but he might have much more knowledge than I.
Actually, this isn't as crazy as it sounds. The civic now is virtually on an accord platform, and the accord is starting to fill in that premium/luxury class sedan like the Toyota Avalon. There is the "new" HR-V which in the states will more or less replace the need/desire for the Fit (small, practical), and the Fit is filling in the 'compact hatch' segment that the civic wasn't filling for a while there (in the states). The whole car platform line of theirs is all going up a notch.

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
This was the first time I've dealt with a Honda dealer, so I don't know if this is typical.
No, not all of them are like this. Folks who buy Hondas are generally working within a budget with a monthly payment in mind, so the dealerships often start there. However, if you'd have told the dealership I bought from that you were paying in cash, they would have simply moved on to what model/options/accessories you wanted and when you were looking to buy. They listened to me throughout the purchasing process and worked with me in whatever way they could to close the deal.

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've mentioned on previous posts here that I tried very hard to buy a Civic Touring, but the Honda dealer only wanted to discuss monthly payments before we even agreed on the price of the car. They would not budge from MSRP, hoping to mask the car's price with talk of monthly payments. I actually prefer to simply pay cash for all my cars, so I told him I don't care about monthly payments. This was the first time I've dealt with a Honda dealer, so I don't know if this is typical. But afterwards, I changed my mind and decided I like the '16 Acura ILX better and it could be had for only about $2k more than the Touring MSRP price. The Acura dealer was so much more pleasant to deal with and didn't play the typical sales games. I told told them upfront that I would write a check for the car and no discussions of financing ever came up.
The first Nissan guy I talked to for my wife--who was concerned with the monthly payment-wouldn't even tell me the price of the car. Straight up said "It's not important." and then when I pressed him on it, he actually turns to my wife and says, "What, you need his permission to buy a car?" My jaw just about unhinged from dropping so hard. We left (obviously).

My Ford and Honda guys were both pretty good about talking total price once I made it clear I didn't care about the monthly payment--until they tried to sell me the ESP, of course :)

Assolute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Civic DX Sedan
Country flag
Me:"whats that $150 charge?"
Salesman: "oh it's the car care delivery charge"
Me: "What is it?"
Salesman:"we wash the car"
Me:"I'm not paying for a $150 car wash i'll take it dirty please".

Best. hahaha

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The first Nissan guy I talked to for my wife--who was concerned with the monthly payment-wouldn't even tell me the price of the car. Straight up said "It's not important." and then when I pressed him on it, he actually turns to my wife and says, "What, you need his permission to buy a car?" My jaw just about unhinged from dropping so hard. We left (obviously).

My Ford and Honda guys were both pretty good about talking total price once I made it clear I didn't care about the monthly payment--until they tried to sell me the ESP, of course :)
"It's not important"...

Then neither is this sale to you, obviously. Peace.

lalajuju

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX CVT
I bought 2016 civic 10 days ago after much deliberation and due dilligence over the engine recall issue (piston clip ring missing) and ensuring the one I am buying is not falling into the recall list. So while I was asking local honda dealership salesman about this issue, he completely played dumb and said it's not an issue at all; "it's just that piston are slightly shifted in the engine, no big deal, we adjust that during PDI and we do these kind of adjustments all the time during PDI" (Yes, you read it right, "pistons are shifted!!!"), my jaw dropped over his ignorance or excellent acting.
I explained the whole issue, then he admitted dealership don't keep salesman up to date with service related issues. Anyways, I left and ended up buying at another dealership.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
I gotta tell you guys, if people ever take one dealer extra, it should be GAP. I always thought it was gimmicky but when a 19 year old ran a red light and totaled my 2012 Si a few years ago (car had less than 2K on the odometer), I had to fight his insurance company hard to not be turned upside down.
I told my dealership to include GAP for free. They did. I'm not gonna lose thousands because some idiot hits me.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
"It's not important"...

Then neither is this sale to you, obviously. Peace.
finding out if the customer is a payment buyer or a price buyer is a classic part of the sales position. If the customer is more worried about a monthly payment, its easier to make more money off of them. IE: you might be able to stretch the lower payment over more terms and make more money.

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Took me 5 Honda dealers to get my '16 Civic Sedan Touring.
I was paying cash and couldn't get the right deal to say my life...at the LAST Honda dealer I stopped at they at least attempted to work with me.
But they had some 'extras' included on top of the MSRP they called "Customer Preferred Equipment".

All season floor mats $499
Auto Butler paint protection $599
Lifetime car washes $0
Window etching $599

I got them to remove the auto butler and got the honda floor mats down to $150 and while they stubbornly didn't want to move on the etching, I got that down to $199. We then took 10% off the sticker and based on my experience at that point, I gave up and bought the car outright.
I didn't see much better of a deal. They arrive here on the dealers lot and are sold within 24hrs. Kinda hard to get a stelar deal.

Then off to finance...OMFG
Push to sell me the extended warranty...some aftermarket company (Fidelity?) for $3130!
I said I wanted a Honda Care 7/120 $100 ded warranty. She quoted me $1260. I told her I can get it online for much less.
She dropped the price to $955 instantly but still wasn't as good as I can get online.

I wonder how many people know these contracts are almost pure profit and negotiable.....geez.
I love the new car. I have 114 miles on it so far...LOL - but this car purchase , much like the others before wasn't fun and a lot of hard work.
I knew I'd get the deal if i kept pushing an finding the right dealer.

Most here want full MSRP. No discount. Don't like it, leave. A buyer will be in right after you leave and pay us full asking.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
Took me 5 Honda dealers to get my '16 Civic Sedan Touring.
I was paying cash and couldn't get the right deal to say my life...at the LAST Honda dealer I stopped at they at least attempted to work with me.
But they had some 'extras' included on top of the MSRP they called "Customer Preferred Equipment".

All season floor mats $499
Auto Butler paint protection $599
Lifetime car washes $0
Window etching $599

I got them to remove the auto butler and got the honda floor mats down to $150 and while they stubbornly didn't want to move on the etching, I got that down to $199. We then took 10% off the sticker and based on my experience at that point, I gave up and bought the car outright.
I didn't see much better of a deal. They arrive here on the dealers lot and are sold within 24hrs. Kinda hard to get a stelar deal.

Then off to finance...OMFG
Push to sell me the extended warranty...some aftermarket company (Fidelity?) for $3130!
I said I wanted a Honda Care 7/120 $100 ded warranty. She quoted me $1260. I told her I can get it online for much less.
She dropped the price to $955 instantly but still wasn't as good as I can get online.

I wonder how many people know these contracts are almost pure profit and negotiable.....geez.
I love the new car. I have 114 miles on it so far...LOL - but this car purchase , much like the others before wasn't fun and a lot of hard work.
I knew I'd get the deal if i kept pushing an finding the right dealer.

Most here want full MSRP. No discount. Don't like it, leave. A buyer will be in right after you leave and pay us full asking.

As a salesman I just want to say sorry for your troubles. I promise not all of us are like that.