whats price of gas where you live- what your fav. fuel injector cleaner

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Gas goes in the gas tank, motor oil goes in the engine.

If you want to clean your injectors use the correct method by removing them and using injector cleaner.

Same with valves.

If you run that "pour in tank" cleaner all you're doing is messing with the CAT and other emissions components.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Short version - many years ago I used the cheapest gasoline available. After a year or two the car would start to idle a bit rough. Not a lot, but sort of like turning on the A/C compared to not having it on. A few people I knew who worked in the auto field said Mobil premium had a lot of detergent. I'd go through 2 or 3 tank fulls of the Mobil & the idle would smooth out. This process would repeat every year or so. IIRC this was before Top Tier gasoline existed. When I got my next car the same scenario played out. Maybe there were other high detergent gasoline brands available at the time, I don't know. I just used Mobil premium because it worked to clear up the idle issue.

Fast forward to a few years ago & I only use Top Tier gasoline & so far all is good. And I never had to remove & clean any injectors on any car I've ever owned.

Last edited:

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
$2.07 in Houston.

Only use Top-Tier fuel.

BTW, all fuel comes from the same truck and through the same hose. It's the additives that make a difference.

And wtf are you people wasting money on higher octane? Honda clearly states this does noting to improve performance or fuel economy.
91 is recommended for Sport hatches per the manual.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Short version - many years ago I used the cheapest gasoline available. After a year or two the car would start to idle a bit rough. Not a lot, but sort of like turning on the A/C compared to not having it on. A few people I knew who worked in the auto field said Mobil premium had a lot of detergent. I'd go through 2 or 3 tank fulls of the Mobil & the idle would smooth out. This process would repeat every year or so. IIRC this was before Top Tier gasoline existed. When I got my next car the same scenario played out. Maybe there were other high detergent gasoline brands available at the time, I don't know. I just used Mobil premium because it worked to clear up the idle issue.

Fast forward to a few years ago & I only use Top Tier gasoline & so far all is good. And I never had to remove & clean any injectors on any car I've ever owned.
My Automotive professors (they've been doing this since the '70) recommends filling at one brand, burning that through until empty, then filling up with another brand and doing the same.

Only using top tier.

Fuel additives are okay to use, but directly before an oil change. Those deposits have to go somewhere and they end up in the oil.

Does everyone here know the four main functions of motor oil?
To clean, cool, lube and protect.
Your motor oil has detergents in them, no need to spend extra money adding unnecessary cleaning agents to your system. Unless you're a sucker and buy into that marketing scheme.

I'll have to admit though, SeaFoam works great on my throttle body... only wish I would have removed the cat because all those deposits destroyed the cat.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Costco Top-Tier always in SoCal.

87 - $3.17
91 - $3.49

Car (2016 EX-T, 87-oct gas) has been having a bit of rough idle (steering wheel shakes slightly when idling). So I tried putting in a tank of 91-oct today. Car immediately calmed down at every stop light. I won't use 91 octane year-round but will start to put a tank in when I feel the slight shakes on the steering wheel. I heard that 87 gas is shit when mixed with 10% ethanol, even if the brand is top-tier. Dunno. :dunno:

On a side note, minimum wage around here is $13/hr, so it only takes me 3 hrs flipping in the kitchen to afford a full tank for the Civic. It ain't all bad but I do envy places with $1.XX something for a gallon of gas. Brings back fond memory of aimlessly cruising in my '92 Integra when gas was $0.99/gal in Texas (DFW).

Last edited:

AmaiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Y’all should come to California :banghead:

These are my local Chevron prices, I don’t really use any additional cleaner because of Techron

87 - $3.71/gal
89 - $3.89/gal
91 - $3.99/gal
Hawaii just as bad, if not worse lol. Just filled 7gal of 91 for $30

nick2name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You believe that the detergents and solvents that oil companies and gas stations use are any different than "pour in tank" except the tank is bigger? :rofl:

I never use no name gas and I never had to remove and clean fuel injectors in any car I owned. You are trying to talk about things you don't have a background to understand.
I apologize for being so aggressive in my previous post. My opinion differs from yours and that's alright.

I hope we can move forward and continue helping the community of Civic owners.

All the best.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
87 is running about $1.90/gal - $2.18/gal..

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I usually goto Sunoco, 93 is ~3.15 per gallon.

I try to use Red Line SI-1 first tank after every oil change... How much of a difference it really makes i'm not sure but the car does seem to run more "clean" while running it.

ahto42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB sport navi plus 1.5T, 2011 Nissan X-trail 2.0 diesel
Country flag
Oh man, the gas prices are are very cheap in the US. In Estonia, RON 95 is 1.32€/1liter, RON98 is 1.4€/1liter.
1G=3.78liters.
Sponsored