What's involve in programming a new keyfob?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I know the dealer would have to cut a physical key, but do they have to pull the ECU or do another kind of re-wiring? Or is this all done via ODB-II?
Sponsored

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, you need a specific tool. Not something you can do yourself.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, you need a specific tool. Not something you can do yourself.
I wasn't planning on doing it myself. My dealer only gave me one fob said they lost the other one. I want to know exactly what's involve in case they tell me they need to pull the ECU or do re-wiring, then I know they're trying to pull a fast one on me.

Last edited:

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, you don't need to do that for sure. I was testing out a programmer for work and programmed a new key to my car (2020 Si sedan) to see how the process went and how the aftermarket programmer worked. It was all done via the obd2 port.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, you don't need to do that for sure. I was testing out a programmer for work and programmed a new key to my car (2020 Si sedan) to see how the process went and how the aftermarket programmer worked. It was all done via the obd2 port.
The tool erases all current keys first before it lets you program the new one(s) correct? At least I'd hope so because there's still a missing fob out there that's programmed to my car.

domicubarican

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The tool erases all current keys first before it lets you program the new one(s) correct? At least I'd hope so because there's still a missing fob out there that's programmed to my car.
Depends on the programming. Honda HDS allows you to program one or multiple new keys, rewrite keys, or do an "all keys lost" programming. If you want to erase a lost key from the immobilizer and just program the ones you, all keys lost is the way to go...just make sure you have every key you want programmed.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there a way to tell how many fobs are programmed to the car? For regular owners without a programmer that is.

Last edited:

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
When I bought my car My dealer said the same thing that they misplaced second key and will mail me once they found. I went to them for something and I collected my second key on that day.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I bought my car My dealer said the same thing that they misplaced second key and will mail me once they found. I went to them for something and I collected my second key on that day.
Same here except mine was missing instead of "misplaced". Lol.. They didn't have the fob in stock when I took delivery so they told me to come back when it's back in stock. I wish there's a way to check how many fobs are programmed to the car so I know for sure the "missing" fob is erased.

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
I didn't try to do that with mine, so I can't say that it has the ability to delete keys from the car's registry. That might be a dealer thing.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Basically, programming a new keyfob is a function of an automatic car that involves so many features from car start to opening the windows through one press. I do not have a car but I know every detail as I am a student of automobile and scholarship essay writers at https://studyclerk.com/scholarship-essay-writing-service if you need any sort of help related to content or assignment then you must visit and get your homework done just in case if you are a student. to instance, the student does not get much time.
This run on paragraph reeks of New Delhi call center...
Sponsored