What's an oil change at dealership costing you these days?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The only way to know something is done correctly is to do it yourself,

You realize mechanics don't do oil changes right?

Your not getting someone who is licensed changing your oil, even at the dealership,

Most dealerships hire a kid just out of high school to do oil changes, and his only two jobs are oil changes, and washing cars,

Most apprentice mechanics begin by doing oil changes, and remember, they are learning on the job

Your not getting anybody more skilled at the dealership, then you would be going to jizzy lube,
Even the experienced mechanics are mostly lazy and take shortcuts. It’s a result of how dealership service departments are run and mechanics are paid. The more cars they get on and off their lift in a day, the more they make.

If the labor time for a specific job is 2 hours and they get it done in half an hour, they get paid for 2 hours.

It’s just another car on their lift. They don’t care about your car like you do.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Even the experienced mechanics are mostly lazy and take shortcuts. It’s a result of how dealership service departments are run and mechanics are paid. The more cars they get on and off their lift in a day, the more they make.

If the labor time for a specific job is 2 hours and they get it done in half an hour, they get paid for 2 hours.

It’s just another car on their lift. They don’t care about your car like you do.
Doesn't sound like anything will change your mind so OK

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Doesn't sound like anything will change your mind so OK
There are good, honest mechanics out there. If you’ve found one then good on you. But i’m not gonna waste my money and time. I would still go to a dealership for a big job that I can’t handle with simple tools on my own.

Last edited:

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
There are good, honest mechanics out there. If you’ve found one then good on you. But i’m not gonna waste my money and time. I would go to a dealership for a big job that I can’t handle with simple tools on my own.
Understandable. To each their own I say!

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Full synthetic 0W20 $ 23 from walmart
Filter - $ 9 I got it online, used to take advantage the pepboy discount, i just order the new batch form home depot
service $20 trustty local Vietnamese shop.

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
From the replies I see here, I guess it's not too popular to get perks like free oil changes for life from dealerships. I get free oil changed and states inspections for life at the dealership as long as I own the car.

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
50 here in Dallas .... multipoint inspection comes with it

Joelgold

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport
Country flag
From the replies I see here, I guess it's not too popular to get perks like free oil changes for life from dealerships. I get free oil changed and states inspections for life at the dealership as long as I own the car.
Considering they will make they’re money back in one BS inspection “fix it” I don’t think it’s really that great of a perk. Plus you can’t put a price on peace of mind knowing you did the oil change yourself with a new filter and quality oil.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
$46,000 is US money right ?
In Canada where I live, median income is $36,200 US money
Before or after taxes and insurance? 46,000€ is so called Brutto, meaning you get like 50% of it at the end, maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Just bought 6 liters of Motul 300v on Amazon for $110 need to go grab a filter yet. I feel pretty comfortable running it out into August before the next change and that will probably have 4 driving events on it on top of mileage.

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It costs $30 here in NY at my local dealer with a coupon. However turns out they use Mobil Super Synthetic oil which is their lowest quality 0w-20 oil. After finding that out and also after the service advisor basically treated me like an idiot for asking for washer fluid refill during an inspection (said "why would we do that?") and for asking if I can bring my own oil (better quality) for oil changes....

Oh well, I used to do all my simple services before I can do it again and save myself 2.5+ hours at each visit to the dealership. Ordered a set of filters from CollegeHillsHonda and now I am ready to go.

David Price

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Billion Honda in Iowa City has changed my oil 3 times for $39.95 using a coupon I get by email from them. Full synthetic and filter. No tire rotation. This is a real deal since they normally charge $80.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag