What's an oil change at dealership costing you these days?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to say oil change prices in the usa are really low compared to EU prices.
I think some folks here don't use high quality oil, which meets the oem specs for the 1.5 turbo egine ACEA A3/B3 - ACEA A5/B5.

Don't know the oem specs for the 2.0 n/a engine.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
$96 in Phoenix! I don't recall how much it was last time but I know it wasn't $96. The main reason I go to this place is because I can go during my workday but it may be worth it for me to go elsewhere at this point.

If you are absolutely sure that the mechanic will do a good job and that he will not forget to put back in place and to tighten the screws of the "skid plate" (too many members damage it or lose it because it was not well installed).
Go to this dealer .

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
€ 75 Honda type 2 0W-20 oil
€ 15 oil filter
€ 50 labour
€ 26 taxes

So a total cost of € 166 for an oil change :doh:
I usually pay between 85-115€ (including some fluid checks) for oil change at my honda dealership in ettlingen where i bought the car. But they always use 5w30 engine oil and i have to drive there. Honestly i have zero problem with 5w30 i really rev and push it sometimes (only when oil is warm).
I clould do it home but i dont really have the place for it.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think some folks here don't use high quality oil, which meets the oem specs for the 1.5 turbo egine ACEA A3/B3 - ACEA A5/B5.

I dont know. Many wrote that they use original honda oil. But stll, it seems fishy.

btw from 2018 june models only acea c2/c3 is allowed in civics becase of the exhaust gas particulate filter.

I wonder how expensive will be an oil change for the hybrid civic (both here and in the us). I checked it out and it looks like it has fixed 10t km change interval. And there only high quality 0w20 will be allowed, nothing else.
When i asked the dealer in stuttgart about the interval the guy just stood there and was trying to understand the manual for minutes but couldnt say anything at the end, just that he doesnt really et it and he has to talk to some guys, because fixed 10k interval seems to be unusually short nowadays. Even for hybrids.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Any good oil will do the job, no need to sans Honda on the litter.
Honda do not make oil

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@latole
Owners manual just recommends to use oil that meets the ACEA A3/B3 and ACEA A5/B5 specs, it doesn't has to be Honda oil.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still do my oil changes and transmission oil. Never have gone to get it done. Costs about $75 dollars for both I'm going to be 64 in about a month. I guess I'll do them myself as long as I can.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
Honda dealer prices:
Inspection A + B with oil change and replacing the air filter:
374€
A week before, the same dealer replaced my rear brake pads:
220€ 😥

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda dealer prices:
Inspection A + B with oil change and replacing the air filter:
374€
A week before, the same dealer replaced my rear brake pads:
220€ 😥
Front brake rotor and pad replacement by honda was like 450-470 for me, thats a lot but kind of ok-ish. I dont think it would have been much cheaper for any other brand in Germany.

Last edited:

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
The front pads and disc i will probably replace by myself, as they are standard system (but different to the US ones what i saw). Using ATE as it is OEM.
The only problem for the rear brake caliper is that you have to disassemble a housing to retract the piston by hand, when you don't have the Honda software.

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
went to the Honda dealership in Tampa yesterday for service.
10th gen Accord: oil change, tire rotation, brake and transmission flush
10th gen civic: oil change, tire plug repair, tire rotation.
= $80 everything out the door.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I still do it myself. As others say, a mechanic doesn't care about the car he's working on. For me, It's piece of mind and I treat my car like a baby. Recently changed the cvt fluid, just changed the air and cabin filters and I'm due for an oil and filter change soon as I'm down to 40%. And I'm 63 years old, I've always done this on all my cars. Today, there are so any videos that show you how to do it. Save money!
+1 Not only is it cheaper and you get peace of mind, but it is also rewarding to do your own maintenance! I'm so thankful to now have a big garage where I can do that.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I called my Honda dealer asking about oil change coupons because none were on their website. They said they made their regular price the coupon price of $72. I said last year the coupon was $59.95. Dealer said oil prices have gone way up & their price is typical for the area. I didn't ask if that included fees & tax. I'll have to call around & check if they're in the ballpark.

I asked Discount Tire what they charged for tire rotation & they said it's free, but balancing is extra. I know they don't charge for fixing a flat, at least they didn't. Apparently they figure a little good will goes a long way & I hope they're right.

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
Thank you so much for the shout out to your local Discount Tire store. Flat tire repairs are always free. Our founder Mr. Halle felt strongly about taking care of his customers. That culture lives on to this day.

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Oil change prices have gone up in the past year. Shockingly. It's now like $85-$110 in Maryland.
Sponsored