What was your logic when you decided to get an Si?

What was your logic when you decided to get an Si?

• I can only afford one car, so I wanted something fun to drive yet still practical

Votes: 91 51.1%
  • I needed an economical daily driver so I don't have to rack up miles on my garage queen

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • I bought my Si to BE my garage queen and have another car I use as my daily

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wanted a daily driver that can double as a weekend warrior for the track

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • I wanted a dedicated track/race car and this was the most logical platform my budget allowed

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • This is a stupid poll and should be deleted

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I came from a 270 WHP Mazdaspeed3 that was mostly stock aside from a tune, intake, suspension and the audio. It was a good daily but began to burn oil at around 150K due to carbon deposits on the oil control rings.

I considered just about every other car between 22-40K, including waiting for the release of the CTR and new Accord. Both the Si and GTI checked nearly every single box. 6MT, fun, comfortable, practical, efficient, safe, and room for a growing family. The Si won over the GTI on the chassis, shifter, and predicted long term reliability. And were something to break, I factored replacement parts to be 30-50% cheaper than VW. I was willing to sacrifice the HIDs, driver modes, Fender audio, leather & extra power for the savings I got over a heavily discounted Autobahn trim.

Were I shopping now, I'd seriously consider the Accord Sport 6MT. I could probably pick up a brand new one for around $27-28K. The only thing that holds me back is the lack of driver modes and the infotainment. And now that the Si offers LEDs, it's a nearly perfect package out of the box.
Sponsored

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
I wanted a Type R but i drive 350 miles a week, i need good gas mileage and fun at the same time, that's how i ended up with the SI.

Last edited:

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I sold my boosted (SC) 8thgen. With a family I didn’t want a project car. I picked the 2020 Si over a slightly used 2018 golf R due to reliability concerns.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I wanted a Sport hatch with manual, but no dealer had any, nor were they willing to get one. So, got the Si, cheaper than a Sport would have been anyway

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I came from a Prius before my Si actually ahahaha. I'm fresh out of college and started my full time job, this is the first car I've ever owned. The value for the money is honestly insane and I wanted a good, reliable, econobox car that was also considered fun/entry level sports car - civic si was perfect for that.

Insurance isn't crazy, gas is cheap, shifting is butter, sound system is great and the car looks fantastic. Mod support is coming along great and hope to see a lot more parts for our cars in the next coming years.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I had a 13 year old Scion xB but it was fading fast..I was in Florida so buying a new or used car was a major ripoff hassle..worse than most states but yeah it's a crummy experience everywhere isn't it? Anyway, a friend bought a salvage Si for cheap and resold it to me I'm sure he made a few thousand off me but he flew up north to go buy it so he deserves it. It only had 5K on it and really nothing major wrong, now sitting at 25K still in great shape.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I'm firmly in that first category. I'm in my early 50s, after several years of driving autos (sharing with then-spouse), I wanted to go back to a fun manual as my daily driver. I definitely wanted a sedan, so I looked most closely at the GLI and the Kia Forte GT, as well as the Accord Sport 2.0. I decided the Accord was bigger than I wanted / needed, and had reliability concerns about the GLI -- my Jetta was starting so show some issues at 50k. What clinched it for me was Honda adding adaptive cruise to the 2020 model. I plan on keeping this one for several years, and found how much I liked adaptive cruise in GF's car on boring highway drives. So far, I couldn't be happier with my choice. Perfect mix of practical and fun. I've been lurking on the tuning threads, and could easily see myself doing that in the future -- although I'm hesitant to sacrifice warranty yet.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted a sports sedan with a short throw shifter that handled nimbly. The Si fit that perfectly. Ease of adding performance was a pleasant surprise.

mikegold

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si coupe, 2018 GT3, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 1990 300ZX, 1986 300ZX
Country flag
I'm totally unusual here. I had a 370Z track car that was gutted and caged. I also had a GT4. When my porsche dealer called with a GT3 alllocation, I sold the track car to help pay for it, and because I was only using it once or twice a year and thought I was done with the track. Had a HR-V for a daily driver. Lately I've been itching to go back to the track, but while I can afford the GT3, I can't afford to mess it up at the track. Plus I spec'd it with ceramic brakes, which while great, wear out after about 40 track days, and replacing them is about the price of an Si. Had I wanted to track the GT3, I would have gotten iron brakes and PDK.

So, been itching to go back to the track and didn't want to spend a fortune. I loved the HRV, so after narrowing it down to a GTI, Veloster N, BRZ/86 or Si, I chose the Si.

First track day will be in June. Only going to upgrade tires and brakes, and see where I go from there afterwards.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR didn't come in coupe, the stock tires on it would only last a couple of months, and it was a bit too ostentatious looking to me. The Si solved all that.

HoldTheRice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Marked up Type-R wasn't in the budget.

Fun, practical, reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, mod-ability, good on gas...what more could you want?
Sponsored