jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
LOL i guess im that ass hole that wastes money!! Its just been a habit with every vehicle ive owned to change it every 3k.
:lol:
That's funny. You're good mate, there's only a handful of aholes on here, and you're not one of them.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
where do you buy your crush ring from? the dealer or what?
Purchased mine from the Dealership.
My local dealership charged me $0.50 each ... I bought a dozen, just to make it worth the 30 minute trip.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
What he said....or you could do what a lot of people do which is completely ignore the MM and do it every 3,000 or 5,000 like we used to do 15 years ago and waste money.
It wasn’t a waste of money. Oil has improved since then.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
What he said....or you could do what a lot of people do which is completely ignore the MM and do it every 3,000 or 5,000 like we used to do 15 years ago and waste money.
My oil analysis with 5,000 miles on Amsoil SS 0W-20 did not suggest I had any significant oil life remaining and in addition I had >5% oil dilution.

I also drive it very hard with TSP stage 1 and very little other driving.

If you're highway driving to commute and putting on a ton of miles with minimal load, sure 5,000 is a waste of money.

If you drive it hard, it's not.

The oil dilution on the 1.5T really puts a damper on being able to roll 10-15k mile oil intervals.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a random question. Not sure if this thread exists or not. If it does I'm sorry for the repetition!!
What type of oil? Company? Do you use the recommended weight? How often do you change your oil? Do you use OEM filters or another type? How much oil do you use?
Not having any issues, I'm just honestly curious on every ones take on oil.
Check out this blog we wrote, you might find it useful. https://www.27won.com/blog/the-great-oil-debate-civicx

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Have used Mobil1 0W-20 AFE & Mobil1 M110A filters since about 2006, intervals of 5,000 mi. The dealership uses my oil/filter and their new crush washer. Since becoming aware of the issues of oil dilution and the pre-ignition problem, I'm convinced that this is prudent. Mobil1 0w-20 oils are rated GF-6A which is important in small-displacement Turbocharged engines, my Blackstone Lab reports have shown me that this, at least for me, has worked well. I also use Toptier 87 octane fuels exclusively

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have used Mobil1 0W-20 AFE & Mobil1 M110A filters since about 2006, intervals of 5,000 mi. The dealership uses my oil/filter and their new crush washer. Since becoming aware of the issues of oil dilution and the pre-ignition problem, I'm convinced that this is prudent. Mobil1 0w-20 oils are rated GF-6A which is important in small-displacement Turbocharged engines, my Blackstone Lab reports have shown me that this, at least for me, has worked well. I also use Toptier 87 octane fuels exclusively
I mean 87 octane can do it too. Do you not have access to 91 or 93?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I mean 87 octane can do it too. Do you not have access to 91 or 93?
I tried running 93 for 2500 miles, other than a slight, and I mean barely noticeable difference in smoothness and a 1-2 mpg drop in mileage, wasn't convinced that the additional 60+ cents a gallon was worth it.
My Honda mechanic, who is Master Certified, advised me I was wasting my money.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried running 93 for 2500 miles, other than a slight, and I mean barely noticeable difference in smoothness and a 1-2 mpg drop in mileage, wasn't convinced that the additional 60+ cents a gallon was worth it.
My Honda mechanic, who is Master Certified, advised me I was wasting my money.
Theoretically the engine is fine with 87 octane and was made to accommodate for it, but low octane can cause pre-ignition and fuel components (key word shitty fuel injectors) to clog over long periods of time. I'd be interested to hear what they say/said to those points

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Theoretically the engine is fine with 87 octane and was made to accommodate for it, but low octane can cause pre-ignition and fuel components (key word shitty fuel injectors) to clog over long periods of time. I'd be interested to hear what they say/said to those points
Apparently the additional additive standards of Toptier fuel address the injection cleanliness issue as well as some of the pre-ignition, the new GF-6A oil standards specifically address that issue. I usually run only Shell and occasionally Sunoco.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Apparently the additional additive standards of Toptier fuel address the injection cleanliness issue as well as some of the pre-ignition, the new GF-6A oil standards specifically address that issue. I usually run only Shell and occasionally Sunoco.
Hmm, guess I have some more research to do.

I will say I've started noticing injector issues (35k miles) and I only use Shell premium 93 octane. So I don't really trust additives all that much.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm, guess I have some more research to do.

I will say I've started noticing injector issues (35k miles) and I only use Shell premium 93 octane. So I don't really trust additives all that much.
Well, I've done as much preventative and due diligence as I can, beyond that, I've got Hondacare 120/7yrs and at 27,000 my Blackstone Labs reports look very good, so we'll see.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both oil AND octane discussion. This thread contains multitudes.
Sponsored