SkittleSi

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si, 1999 Honda Accord V6
Country flag
I recently did my oil change like three days ago. Used the Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-20 Extended Performance. As for the filter I always use K&N Premium filters always have in every vehicle I've used don't know if they are better then the OEM filters but don't want to go through a dealership and order one. Also went and replaced the drain plug crusher. Thinking of changing the oil every 5K miles or when the life gets to 30-40%
Sponsored

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Amsoil signature series 0w-20 every 10k
Next change im going to 12k and doing analysis again. After big turbo probably going to 5w-30.
The 0w30 Amsoil Signature Series has tested extremely well by Piotr on YT posted evaluation. It is not too thick by any means.

cydwel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
lol ok

Because the Wix XP efficiency of 99% at 35 microns is clearly superior to Amsoil/RP's 98.7% at 20 microns and 99% at 25 microns.

:doh:
Fair enough. I’m thinking more of the construction of the filter itself. But yeah - you got me. ??

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Fair enough. I’m thinking more of the construction of the filter itself. But yeah - you got me. ??
That is a fair point. The globs of extra glue on the Amsoil filters is kind of concerning, and the larger bypass coil spring on the Wix instills more confidence.

I buy the Royal Purple filter because it's the exact same construction/efficiency/media as the Amsoil but without the large globs of glue.

As for the bypass, well, with such low viscosity oil I'm sure it functions perfectly fine. I kind of am a fan of the bypass that has a button that opens vs. the Wix where the entire media cartridge shifts upwards against the coil spring.

That is something I've never seen any real testing or data on and is solely an opinion based on speculation, though.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but it really comes down to preference and affordability.

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
I recently did my oil change like three days ago. Used the Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-20 Extended Performance. As for the filter I always use K&N Premium filters always have in every vehicle I've used don't know if they are better then the OEM filters but don't want to go through a dealership and order one. Also went and replaced the drain plug crusher. Thinking of changing the oil every 5K miles or when the life gets to 30-40%
i went with same oil but mobil 1 filter

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I change my oil twice a year. Although I changed it myself once it was a pain in the butt so now I just go to Walmart their service has been excellent and it's usually $40-$50.

Oil story with good ending: Recently I lent my friend my Si it was supposed to be for 3 days while his car got a new alternator. Nine days later I demanded my car back and for some reason he added a quart of oil and yep, I checked the dipstick and it was way overfull. Obviously I was pretty pissed I immediately drove to Walmart and in less than 45 minutes I had new oil/filter for only $40.

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
This washer that you guys are replacing is the one where the drain plug is? Ive only done one oil change so far, after this first owner that did like three to the car since it was new. I chucked my oem oil filter, dont know if I should have done this now. I think I have a K&N one now. Are there any advantages to the oem filter? I thought you were supposed to change it basically every oil change.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
This washer that you guys are replacing is the one where the drain plug is? Ive only done one oil change so far, after this first owner that did like three to the car since it was new. I chucked my oem oil filter, dont know if I should have done this now. I think I have a K&N one now. Are there any advantages to the oem filter? I thought you were supposed to change it basically every oil change.
Well given that Hondas "hundreds of thousands of miles" reliability claims are with the OEM filter, changed on the maintenance minder interval, which is every other oil change, the OEM filter is "sufficient" or "adequate".

It's really not a very high efficiency filter, and there are at least a few filter options that are superior with regards to filtration efficiency. It comes down to how hard you drive the car, severe vs. Non-severe service, your comfort level, how long you want to keep the car, how much you are able or willing to spend on regular maintenance items, and if you feel better using the highest quality oil and filters you can possibly get or if you honestly don't care.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I've been constitant since about 2006, with my 2006, 2010, 2013,2016 & now my 2019 Civics (as well as my wife's Hondas) using Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and the Mobil1 m110 filters at 5,000 mi intervals, with excellent results, borne out by uniformly excellent reports from Blackstone Labs showing very low metals and wear/low particulates (effective filters). Since I learned about Toptier fuels, have used them exclusively. As the Honda oil filters are, IMHO, at best, adequate (the intake & cabin filters are excellent) and I am not a believer in leaving dirty oil in the engine when charging, I think the use of a superior filter, with each change, is worth the investment, if you intend to keep your vehicle more than 5 years. But, with all that as a given, I've been accused of being overly particular, but after a long career in medical equipment repair, I'm kinda wired that way.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
Liqui moly molygen 5w30... Gonna go with Redline next.

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I won't start a new thread but I notice now that whenever I do an oil change it will show full on the dipstick for about a week and then it's "more than full" about a week later as the entire dipstick is coated in oil. This is my Si's 2nd engine(and from a junkyard) so this is no huge surprise, plus I do leak about a drop or two of oil each day. Other than these problems the engine seems to run great I'm just going to be sure and change the oil every 6 months. I'm thinking this particular engine will last at least 2-3 more years without huge problems who knows?

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Sure. He ran this test at 100 degrees Centigrade and scar mark on steel rod was 0.02 mm I think. I watch various oil test results to compare. This test result was #1 amongst 50+ other oils.

Fast forward to end for results

Scott.

only hardparkers on this forum, see you tomorrow
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic Si, 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use ENEOS and a Full filter

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I won't start a new thread but I notice now that whenever I do an oil change it will show full on the dipstick for about a week and then it's "more than full" about a week later as the entire dipstick is coated in oil. This is my Si's 2nd engine(and from a junkyard) so this is no huge surprise, plus I do leak about a drop or two of oil each day. Other than these problems the engine seems to run great I'm just going to be sure and change the oil every 6 months. I'm thinking this particular engine will last at least 2-3 more years without huge problems who knows?
Regarding your oil leak, I used AT-205 on my 2003 Pontiac Vibe that had a minor oil leak and it stopped the leak for many months. It's thin too so I don't worry about it clogging anything up.

https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-R...t=&hvlocphy=9030766&hvtargid=pla-406644660655
Sponsored