What type of MTF is everyone running?

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You probably don't need to change our your MTF in 10k miles unless you continue having lots of track days. I also found that in my case 1-2 was less likely to grind and other inexplicable grinds much less likely to give a distinct "CRUNCH" but rather a little bump, for example as has happened when shifting through a turn and with associated load changes in drivetrain. The Motul I am using is thicker (and slower) than the Honda fluid but it let's me feel where I am better. I have a more basic model, so it helps me in my Civic. I think you will find most oils offer better protection and durability than the Honda one and I am not blind to the fact that as a company, they are not above wanting something to break down eventually. I don't think any company really wants you to get to 1 million miles Scot-free! As any legit engineer and I they will all acknowledge there is a projected/expected life-span for all or some of their products. It is one of the most important questions that a designer or engineer has to answer. I am sure some engineers (Ford?) will also send you with their prayers alone....haha!

This upcoming year I do plan on getting more seat time at the track, probably around 8 times or so. Figured swapping trans fluids is cheaper than swapping transmissions
Sponsored

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
OEM MTF - A little notchy
Redline MTF - Better than OEM
AMS Oil MTF - Hard to say if it's better than Redline MTF

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
An update for anyone that cares. The Torco mix I was using got incredibly Notchy super quickly. To the point where it had to be drained. Don't know why but it was horrible. So far GM Synchromesh has been the smoothest but the best tip I can give you is whatever fluid you use, Change it often. Oem, Amsoil and GM Synchromesh all start to feel less smooth after about a 12 to 16 months. The recommended 30K mile changes is ridiculous to me. As long as you keep the fluid fresh, it should feel great.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
An update for anyone that cares. The Torco mix I was using got incredibly Notchy super quickly. To the point where it had to be drained. Don't know why but it was horrible. So far GM Synchromesh has been the smoothest but the best tip I can give you is whatever fluid you use, Change it often. Oem, Amsoil and GM Synchromesh all start to feel less smooth after about a 12 to 16 months. The recommended 30K mile changes is ridiculous to me. As long as you keep the fluid fresh, it should feel great.
I replaced my OEM fluid at 30k with GM Synchromesh and it was starting to feel a little notchy after 20k miles. Might just swap it with every 3-4 oil changes - it's cheap and easy enough to do so!

Also have the Acuity shifter, so any notchiness could be accentuated.

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
Every 3-4 oil changes should be perfect. I'm sure stretching it to 20 or 30K miles isn't going to hurt anything but it's a guarantee it won't be anywhere near as smooth as when you put it in. It took a ton of experimenting to figure out changing often was much more important than what fluid I was using lol
Sponsored