amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
If you live anywhere where it doesn’t get cold, get Amsoil, stick with oem otherwise
You mean like California where we crank the heat up, put on heavy jackets and snow boots when it drops to 50 degrees? :)
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow it drops to 50? :confused1::confused1:;)
Yep. Sometimes at night it can drop way down to 40! If you live in Southern Cal (I live in Northern Cal), you can even go to the beach in the middle of December, January etc

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running Amsoil. I've used it on this and some older K-series cars and it's consistently been a good performer. The Honda MTF was changed out of this car after about the first year.

Care to elaborate how a MTF that provides less felt-resistance in shifting equates to poorer lubrication? I'm not saying you're wrong... but given this being my 3rd Honda/Acura running Amsoil... all of which had Honda MTF originally and had poor shifting performance and if drastically improved with the Amsoil, and those cars all getting a, not impressive, but probably combined 50k miles on their transmissions on non-OEM fluid with no issues noted other than the decreased notchiness, overall reduced shifting effort and, in the case of the RSX, curing of 3rd gear pop-out which plagued those cars... I certainly have no experience with Amsoil causing harm. Would we want a notchy transmission so it'd last longer...?
I had swapped to GM Synchromesh MTF in my 2005 Acura TL and it cured my 3rd gear pop out too.

As an engineer, I'm not quite sure that I agree with this Mark11 character and waiting to hear his explanation.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Is the theory that honda built made this oil specifically for our trannys? I figured it was just a random brand and sold as honda. Did they really dump r&d money into making the best fluid? Seems a little far fetched

Seems more likely they sell a fluid that fits the tolerances of the designed transmission. I could be wrong but who knows.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Is the theory that honda built made this oil specifically for our trannys? I figured it was just a random brand and sold as honda. Did they really dump r&d money into making the best fluid? Seems a little far fetched

Seems more likely they sell a fluid that fits the tolerances of the designed transmission. I could be wrong but who knows.
Ask RicSI19, he knows for sure

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hopefully he will chim in! I just did a quick google search and looks like honda did develope their own mtf fluid a few years back. I stand corrected on that.

Still dont know if that makes it the best.

OP
OP
Drew36

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hopefully he will chim in! I just did a quick google search and looks like honda did develope their own mtf fluid a few years back. I stand corrected on that.

Think of it like this, why do people get the tsp stage 1 tune instead of sticking with hondas tune (as they know best)? Because people want a different product that offers better performance without decreasing reliability

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I believe idemitsu makes the OE Honda mtf

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I only use Honda MTF. I trust the engineers who built the engine has chosen it for good reason. After all, Hondas are known for reliability for a reason and their engineers are why.
Honda MTF is extremely good! You just need to change it yearly or every 25k (kms) in order to maintain the buttery smoothness.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So I participate in a thread with OP asking for MTF we use and I answer with my reason as to why, and I become a "he knows it all"? Never once did I mention the word "best" or "better".

I stated my opinion and you're trying to start a thread fight? Grow up. That kind of toxic mentality does not help the community. I'm a member in numerous car forums and the amount of snarky remarks and hostility towards other members of this forum is astounding.

You can share different ideas without getting bashed in the other forums. Here? Someone disagrees with your opinion and all hell breaks loose.

The tuning analogy is a different story. Honda's senior product planner specifically said they toned down power on the Si to increase longetivity. If Honda wanted more power, they could've easily added it from factory, but longetivity would take a hit.

Last edited:

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I participate in a thread with OP asking for MTF we use and I answer with my reason as to why, and I become a "he knows it all"? Never once did I mention the word "best" or "better".

I stated my opinion and you're trying to start a thread fight? Grow up. That kind of toxic mentality does not help the community. I'm a member in numerous car forums and the amount of snarky remarks and hostility towards other members of this forum is astounding.

You can share different ideas without getting bashed in the other forums. Here? Someone disagrees with your opinion and all hell breaks loose.

The tuning analogy is a different story. Honda's senior product planner specifically said they toned down power on the Si to increase longetivity. If Honda wanted more power, they could've easily added it from factory, but longetivity would take a hit.
I think im too new... I must have missed all that. I was however honestly interested in your opinion if you have the time. Or if you could link to the other thread where you stated your opinion? Thanks man!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Honda mtf is manufactured by Idemitsu. It meets or exceeds transmission performance and protection required by Honda. If you use Honda OEM fluid, your good. This transmission fluid will perform and work as expected. If you use a third party fluid that meets or exceeds protection requirements for your Honda MT, you are also good.

IMO, and again this is my opinion, third party products like Amsoil Synchromesh made things smoother for me, at the same time meets or exceeds Honda requirements and has it's own warranty and a longer change interval, and that's why I used it.

So in conclusion:

If you use Honda OEM, your good
If you use Amsoil Synchromesh, your good
Redline, Royal Purple, GM Synchromesh, your good! As long as one is using the properly speced out fluid, it all becomes a matter of preference
Sponsored